Oil & Fuel Changing fuel filters

/ Changing fuel filters #1  

razorback98

Tractor
yanmar 1510d
At some point in time I will need to change the fuel filter in my 1510D. What do you do to minimize starting problems afterwards? It is starting and running so good I hate the thougt of messing it up. I won't need to do it for a while but I thought I would ask before I get into it. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Changing fuel filters #2  
You will need to bleed the system. After reinstalling the bowl, you need to start by bleeding the bowl. This is easily done by opening one of the two bleeder screws on the fuel filter base. They are identified by their phillips screw head. There are two and only one will allow the bowl to refill. I think it was the screw on the right, but I'm not certain. At this point I crack the fuel line where it enters the pump and bleed it until I get no bubbles. I then pull the decompression handle and loosen the fuel line nuts on each of the injectors. Crank the engine until you get no bubbles. Don't disconnect the fuel lines, just loosen the nuts. Wipe all the spilled fuel off the engine and then try starting it. Because you bleed the entire fuel system, the engine should fire right up. Check for any fuel seepage and you should be good to go.

/ Changing fuel filters #3  
You are wrong Cord. You open the bleeder closest to the fuel tank on the filter, till no more air, but just diesel comes. Then go over about an inch or so and open that one, till no air. Then follow the line down to the pump, and there is another bleeder there, and do the same with it. Then get on the tractor and start it up, it will start, no need to go to the injectors, as there is no way for air to get in the lines there. Unless you do open the line there, then of course air could get in. I don't know of anyone that has had to crack the lines open at the injectors yet.

/ Changing fuel filters #4  
Dick is right.....

Dick,
Nice new tractor. Is it a lot less noisey than your Yannie? My 1700 is the only tractor that I have ever owned and so far it has served me well. FEL would be nice though.

/ Changing fuel filters #5  
Yes it is a lot quieter, than the Yanmar. I did love my Yanmar, but it just wouldn't pull the gravel up the hill at my drive. It belongs to the state, but once in about 4 or 5 years do they grade it. And I have a neighbor, that every so often he thinks he should spin up the hill, so then I have to live with it or fix it. And of course the hard rains washes the grave down the hill. And I also I /forums/images/graemlins/grin.giflike the PTO going all the time, whereas with the Yanmar, when I had to back up, the bush hog slowed down with the clutch in. But I still loved it.

/ Changing fuel filters #6  
Yep, listen to Dick, a bleeder before the bowl, 1 after, then 1 before the pump, in that order, no need to bleed injectors. Additionally, if you fill the bowl before re-installing, you usually don't even have to bleed, although bleeding is really a non-issue anyway. The whole job takes about a minute with a 10mm wrench.

/ Changing fuel filters #7  
I have only blead the screw by the filter until it the filter fills with fuel. Then start the tractor never had any problems.I have never noticed a bleed screw at the pump. I'll have to look.

/ Changing fuel filters #8  
Same with my 1602D, just bled at the filter til the bowl was good and full and it started right up, and no problems since. When I changed it it was a wonder it even ran, the bowl was more than 1/2 filled with dirt!