Replacing Pitman arm seal

/ Replacing Pitman arm seal #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
HI All,

I will be replcacing the pitman arm seal on my 2210 soon. I got a hammer puller to get the pitman arm off. It looks like it might be leaking grease, but I hope it has 90wt in the steering box. Is there a drain plug on the steering box? I know I have to remove the fuel tank to get to the filler plug. I was just hoping there would be a way to drain the oil or remove the grease without having to remove the entire steering box.

Another question. I know the pitman arm is a SOB to get off, but is it equally hard to get back on? I was thinking of using a rubbe mallet and block of wood to get her back on. I just don't want to damage anything in the steering box.

If anyone has been through this ordeal and has any pointers, that would be great. Thanks.

D. Moore

/ Replacing Pitman arm seal #2  
MDM,
You can remove it with a gear puller, soak it first with PB blaster.The mallet & wood will work to get it back on allright.
There is no short cut without removing the fuel tank.

MDM there should be a square plug in the side for checking the fluid level.
Some people just pack them with synthetic grease & away they go. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Thats not an option for my machines. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ernies Imports

/ Replacing Pitman arm seal
I believe the square plug is on top of the steering box on the 2210. I can't find anything on the side other than the screw and nut for adjusting the steering wheel play. I guess I will pull the tank and hope it has 90 wt rather than grease. I don't know how to get the grease out other than tear it all apart. Would it hurt to put the 90 wt oil in on top of what grease is left in the box?

/ Replacing Pitman arm seal #4  
MdM go ahead and put in 90 weight & see if it leaks, you dont have anything to lose by doing it. If it leaks bad you will still have to repair it. All you stand to lose is a cup of oil /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif