tractor rewiring...ever done it?

/ tractor rewiring...ever done it? #1  

bassfishrman

Tractor
YM 240
I have had numerous problems with starting my tractor. Once I get it cranked, it works fine.

Many of the wires are brittle and have been taped up by the previous owner. I need to replace my ingition switch and am thinking of rewiring the entire tractor with new wires. This may not solve my cranking issues, but may help narrow down the problem (besides it needs new wires anyway).

Has anyone ever done this and how difficult is it? I have the wiring diagram in my manual.

/ tractor rewiring...ever done it? #2  
How difficult it is depends strictly on your abilities. I have replaced my ignition switch and all bad wires, however I am a retired computer/cash register tech with 35 years experience in the field. Replace 1 wire at a time and you should have no problem.

/ tractor rewiring...ever done it? #3  
These starters get a little weeker with time and they may be a little under powered to start with. Are u using your decompression lever? You turn your decompression lever while you crank the starter then let go when you get the rpms up. I like to crank mine in 5 second intrervals while turning the decompression lever until the oil pressure light goes out. Then I let go and she fires up. (If she is warm enough.) You should not run your starterd more then 10 seconds at a time. Then wait one minute. It takes me about 3 minutes to start my unit cold. You may want to take your starter to a good rebuilder!

/ tractor rewiring...ever done it?
I use the decomp lever. It won't get enough rpms to crank without using it. I suspect the starter has something to do with my cranking problems.

thanks for the advice on rebuilding it if necessary

/ tractor rewiring...ever done it? #5  
U can diconnect all wires to your starter and jump the starter motor directly. This will tell u if your prob is in the wiring or the starter. If you know guys that restore cars they will know a good rebuilder.

/ tractor rewiring...ever done it? #6  
I was having intermittent starting problems on my 186D and was running it whenever I could get it to start. It stranded me down by the creek and after checking everything over with a meter, I found out that the wire from the switch to the starter solenoid was broken internally. I ran a heavy gauge wire redundantly to the same terminals and left the old one in place. I haven't had a problem with the starter issue since that time. It shouldn't be much of a problem to rewire but I would only do what is necessary to fix any problems that you may have or safety issues that may exist. The old "if it's not broke don't fix it" mantra can keep you from causing a bigger mess at times.

Jeff