Engine Rebuild

/ Engine Rebuild #1  

bearcat1230

Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
Hello All,

I'm a first time poster, long time reader. I've owned my 1500D for three years and thanks to all who post that have much more knowledge and expertise than I have, I've always found the answers to my many questions somewhere on this forum. But now I need some advice. My number two piston oil ring disintegrated and number one rod bearing got chewed up as well so I'm doing a complete rebuild. The problem I have right now is I'm having the crank turned and I need the specs for the main and rod journals. I'm also going to have the crank end of one rod cleaned up due to light scoring and need that spec as well. Does anyone know what those specs are or do you have a suggestion as to where I might find them? It's a 2TR15. Or would it work to just use the new bearings for the specs? Also this is my first attempt at rebuilding any kind of engine and I would greatly appreciate any and all tips, tricks or techniques that any of you have discovered when rebuilding that would help me do a first rate job. I really know next to nothing about rebuilding engines but I'm trying to educate myself and it's turning out to be a whole lot of fun. For every hour I spend in the shed I look for 50 minutes and turn wrenches for 10 so it's going slow but it is keeping me from doing the honeydo list so that's ok with me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Much for any help!
Neil

/ Engine Rebuild #2  
Tips:
Check all of the clearances and record the numbers. If there is anything which is out of spec, then fix it.
Take your time. Only the OEM can hurry an engine assembly and have a sucessful motor
Watch your torques. A cheap torque wrench will make a better hammer than a torque wrench.
Make sure the cylinder hone is correct.
Conduct a meticulous break in period
Change your oil and filter after the break in.
Check the head for flattness. If you mill the head, check the piston to injector clearance.
Correctly time your pump.

If you have trouble finding the manual, specs or parts, perhaps you can cross reference your engine to a marine version. Yanmar is huge in the sail boat engine market and a marine dealer might be able to help you. Just don't tell him you're working on a tractor...

/ Engine Rebuild #3  
"Does anyone know what those specs are or do you have a suggestion as to where I might find them?"

I suspect you will find them in a service manual, (probably YM186). whoever you get your parts from will have them.

/ Engine Rebuild
Cord

Thanks for the tips. I've got a good torque wrench and I'm sure taking my time. I have my head at the shop getting it remilled. I don't quite understand what you mean about honing the cylinders. I have to replace the one that was damaged but the other I was going to reuse. Should I take both to a machine shop to get the right hone (if I remember right it's the degree that needs to be correct?) or is it sufficient to just break the glaze on the used one and have the new one done at the shop? I'm following a thread that Mark777 started about the bear of a time he's having with pump timing, sure is a touchy thing.

normed

Thanks for the response. I too thought that parts dealers would be the best source for the specs but I've talked to two different ones and neither was able to help me. Those particular specs must be awfully hard to come by! I wasn't sure about crossing over to the US model either because I'm not sure if they would be correct. I know we're talking about .001's here and I would like to be as accurate as possible. I received my new bearings yesterday so I'm taking them to the shops today to see if that will be good enough.

/ Engine Rebuild #5  
Well, I doubt if these engines are using a liner, so they are proably going to bore the cylinder. If they are boring the one, I'd just do the second one right away so the engine has totally new pistons and rings. Yea, if the machine shop does the hone, then you are guaranteed to have the correct pattern. It's supper easy for them to do so the cost is minimal.

Having never timed a pump, I do know that it can be difficult to setup correctly with the correct proceedure. I imagine that it's impossible with out.

/ Engine Rebuild #6  
bearcat,

My problems with the injection pump were inherited from day one. Something I kept ignoring and putting off for a long time. You should expect your fuel system to work the same as before, or better with your overhaul.

I agree completely with Cord (and Norm) and a machine shop can build the bottom end. Many diesel engines do not, but your model does have liners (sleeves + O rings) and they run about $100+. each. It may save you many headaches down the road to do it all now, plus it will be like new and give you many trouble free years with the minimum of maintenance.

/ Engine Rebuild #7  
"I too thought that parts dealers would be the best source for the specs but I've talked to two different ones and neither was able to help me. Those particular specs must be awfully hard to come by! I wasn't sure about crossing over to the US model either because I'm not sure if they would be correct. "

ALL Yanmar OEM parts are for a US model, there are no gray market OEM parts this side of Japan. I can't imagine a Yanmar authorized parts dealer that could not get you a service manual for the US model with the 2TR15 engine. I believe it's a YM180.