YM226D turns farther to the left?

/ YM226D turns farther to the left? #1  

trialsguy

Silver Member
Tractor
YM226D
I noticed the other day while mowing brush that my tractor turned way sharper to the left than it did to the right, Where should I begin looking for adjustments or is this normal?

/ YM226D turns farther to the left? #2  
Now a Republican tractor turns sharper to the right, so I think we figured this out.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Do you have power-steering?

/ YM226D turns farther to the left? #3  
I would start with the steering linkage.

/ YM226D turns farther to the left? #4  
Does one tire seem to steer farther than the other.. or do both tires track correctly.. yet stop closer on one side.

I've not had a yanmar steering box open.. but have rebuilt many ford steering boxes. When ford steers farther to one side ( yet equal with both tires ).. the steering gear and sector gear(s) are out of alignment with the ballnut. In other words.. the sector gear that aligns with the steering worm gear is not centered. Thus you get more turns befor ethe worm bbottoms out in one direction than the other. Ford has 2 sector gears.. one for each side.. same holds true for tractors with only 1 sector that use a draglink across the front for steering linkage to both tires. Does it look like anyone has been into the box, and got it out of time?

Soundguy

/ YM226D turns farther to the left?
It does not have power steering, and I will have to look and see if it has been messed with in the steering box, I hope that if indeed that the linkage is not centered and I center it up that I dont lose my nice sharp turn to the left, although anything would be better then the punny turn to the right that I have now. So what do I do count the turns of the wheel from lock to lock then see if I can unhook and get it centerd? Thanks soundguy I will have a look at it tomorrow

/ YM226D turns farther to the left? #6  
Get a service manual. Hoye sells them and they are worth the money.....Get it on CD and you can print all the copies you want and get it greasy. You can always print another one. The manual answers all those questions.

/ YM226D turns farther to the left? #7  
Be sure to check for bent rods. There is only so much travel in the arm comming out of the steering sector, so you may have to select left or right for sharp turns. Drop the rod from the sector to check for center of travel. then with the front wheels strait ahead note weather the rod can be adjusted to reach the sector. The rod may have been replaced with one that is too short. There may also be a be a dammaged gear in the sector. This would be indicated by a soft lock or reduced turns lock to lock. Also you may drop the tie rod and check movemant on each wheel. If every thing else is ok then have a look inside the sector.

/ YM226D turns farther to the left?
I will check this stuff tonight, I will note that in the highest gear for say road travel I have a very bad wobble that could easily get out of control if continued at I high speed, I always back it down but it does seems as though something is loose, but previous owner said it had always done that and since I dont need to haul butt I never paid it much attention.

/ YM226D turns farther to the left? #9  
Add to the list check the front axle pivot point for play. There should be no movement of the diff case front to back. It should not pivot side to side. (one wheel forward the other backward). If the pivot pin is worn badly it can break and the front axle will fold under the tractor. I had this happen once and it is scary. lucky for me I was running in low cog at the time. Check all tie rod ends. Check final drive front hubs. When you turn the steering whele you shod not have more then 1/4 turn of play before you see a front wheel begin to turn. Wobble can be cause by a bent wheel very bad tire , loose linkage, or bad pivot point, hub bearings , or bent hub.

/ YM226D turns farther to the left? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I hope that if indeed that the linkage is not centered and I center it up that I dont lose my nice sharp turn to the left, although anything would be better )</font>

If it is a missalignment betwixt the worm ballnut and the sector gear it will require pulling the sector gear, centering the ballnut then meshing them correctly... ( Ie.. pulling the box apart.. )

That's about a 4 hour job on a ford with a wormshaft/ballnut, and right and left sectors... probably less on a tractor with only 1 sector and then a draglink.. etc..

Soundguy