Can't get steering wheel off

/ Can't get steering wheel off #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Can\'t get steering wheel off

My 180D is real pretty except for the dash. Had a new paint job before I bought it, but they did nothing with the dash, which was cracked and a couple lights had popped loose. Got a buy on a new dash and am trying to pull the steering wheel so I can install it but so far, no go.

I have used liquid wrench & automatic transmission fluid, which I have heard is a good penetrating oil. Have cut a slot in a big, beefy washer to put under the steering wheel so I won't mess up the wheel, then tried pulling it with a gear puller, but it just tips to the side when I tighten it up. Dealer's mechanic says to be careful hammering on the end of the column as it could mess up the threads at the lower end, so I haven't hit it hard.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

/ Can't get steering wheel off
Can\'t get steering wheel off

My 180D is real pretty except for the dash. Had a new paint job before I bought it, but they did nothing with the dash, which was cracked and a couple lights had popped loose. Got a buy on a new dash and am trying to pull the steering wheel so I can install it but so far, no go.

I have used liquid wrench & automatic transmission fluid, which I have heard is a good penetrating oil. Have cut a slot in a big, beefy washer to put under the steering wheel so I won't mess up the wheel, then tried pulling it with a gear puller, but it just tips to the side when I tighten it up. Dealer's mechanic says to be careful hammering on the end of the column as it could mess up the threads at the lower end, so I haven't hit it hard.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #3  
Re: Can\'t get steering wheel off

I screw the nut down flush with the end of the steering column and while pulling up on the outer part of the steering wheel I hit column with BRASS HAMMER. Notice I said BRASS HAMMER!!!!!

/ Can't get steering wheel off #4  

I screw the nut down flush with the end of the steering column and while pulling up on the outer part of the steering wheel I hit column with BRASS HAMMER. Notice I said BRASS HAMMER!!!!!

/ Can't get steering wheel off #5  

If your's, is as stubborn as mine was /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Maybe you will have some luck doing as I did. I sat on my seat and placed both arms on underside of steering wheel on both sides. Then pushed up with my knees under my arms. While a friend hit the column with a hammer. And do as eddie says, !!!BRASS HAMMER!!!.
Mine came off after a couple of good whacks.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #6  

If your's, is as stubborn as mine was /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Maybe you will have some luck doing as I did. I sat on my seat and placed both arms on underside of steering wheel on both sides. Then pushed up with my knees under my arms. While a friend hit the column with a hammer. And do as eddie says, !!!BRASS HAMMER!!!.
Mine came off after a couple of good whacks.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #7  

Why a brass hammer, as long as you are hitting the nut and not the shaft? A thin, flat legged puller from an autoparts store, ($6), should work fine and not mar the wheel.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #8  

Why a brass hammer, as long as you are hitting the nut and not the shaft? A thin, flat legged puller from an autoparts store, ($6), should work fine and not mar the wheel.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #9  

With a regular hammer you will either damage the nut or the shaft. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

The problem with using a puller is I think you're pulling against the plastic part of the steering wheel.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #10  

With a regular hammer you will either damage the nut or the shaft. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

The problem with using a puller is I think you're pulling against the plastic part of the steering wheel.