New owner questions

/ New owner questions #1  

ghmerrill

I've just acquired a Yanmar 1700 to replace an old Massey Harris my wife has gotten tired of horsing around for mowing purposes. She really likes the Yanmar, but we've got a couple of issues with it:

1. It's overheating while mowing. I've got a 4' Howse rotary cutter on it and it will mow for maybe about a half an hour in 85-90 degrees before the temp light comes on. I've replaced all the fluids (mixed the anti-freeze properly), pulled and flushed the radiator, new hoses, new fan belt. Any other ideas? I gather a lot of people put water pumps on these. Where would I get a water pump kit for it if I need to go that way?
2. How "tippy" are these things? It FEELS tippier than the Massey, but that may be just the feeling of the smaller machine. Is it reasonable to put the rear wheels on "inside out" to increase stability? I'm thinking this MIGHT help with the overheating as well since my wife says the rear tires are rubbing on the hitch arms a lot of the time. We have mostly just a couple of pretty flat acres to mow, but there are some dicy spots and I'd hate to see it roll over on my wife. Then i'd have to do the mowing. She's not anxious to spend the money for a rollover bar if it's not necessary.

Any insight or comments will be appreciated.

/ New owner questions
I've just acquired a Yanmar 1700 to replace an old Massey Harris my wife has gotten tired of horsing around for mowing purposes. She really likes the Yanmar, but we've got a couple of issues with it:

1. It's overheating while mowing. I've got a 4' Howse rotary cutter on it and it will mow for maybe about a half an hour in 85-90 degrees before the temp light comes on. I've replaced all the fluids (mixed the anti-freeze properly), pulled and flushed the radiator, new hoses, new fan belt. Any other ideas? I gather a lot of people put water pumps on these. Where would I get a water pump kit for it if I need to go that way?
2. How "tippy" are these things? It FEELS tippier than the Massey, but that may be just the feeling of the smaller machine. Is it reasonable to put the rear wheels on "inside out" to increase stability? I'm thinking this MIGHT help with the overheating as well since my wife says the rear tires are rubbing on the hitch arms a lot of the time. We have mostly just a couple of pretty flat acres to mow, but there are some dicy spots and I'd hate to see it roll over on my wife. Then i'd have to do the mowing. She's not anxious to spend the money for a rollover bar if it's not necessary.

Any insight or comments will be appreciated.

/ New owner questions #3  
I have a 1700 that I widened both the front and rear wheels. I changed sides with the rears to keep the tread pattern going the right direction. Makes it a lot more stable. I also installed a water pump kit on it from Hoye Tractor Parts. They are a sponser on this site and VERY nice people to deal with. Email Aaron and he will be glad to help you. You might want to look into a ROPS if you have some dicy spots.

/ New owner questions #4  
I have a 1700 that I widened both the front and rear wheels. I changed sides with the rears to keep the tread pattern going the right direction. Makes it a lot more stable. I also installed a water pump kit on it from Hoye Tractor Parts. They are a sponser on this site and VERY nice people to deal with. Email Aaron and he will be glad to help you. You might want to look into a ROPS if you have some dicy spots.

/ New owner questions #5  
Proper coolant mixture is 30/70, antifreeze to water. Was the radiator cleaned professionally, does it pass the flow test, (full force of a gargen hose)? Have you back-flushed the block? Reverse the rear wheels side to side to keep the tread properly oriented. Any Yanmar parts dealer can get you a waterpump and needed parts.

/ New owner questions #6  
Proper coolant mixture is 30/70, antifreeze to water. Was the radiator cleaned professionally, does it pass the flow test, (full force of a gargen hose)? Have you back-flushed the block? Reverse the rear wheels side to side to keep the tread properly oriented. Any Yanmar parts dealer can get you a waterpump and needed parts.

/ New owner questions
Thanks for these responses. I did the radiator flush myself. First I used a chemical flush on it. Then, since I needed to replace the fan belt (boy was that fun!) I took it all off and back-flushed the radiator and replaces the hoses (and the cap!). The radiator looks really clean and seems to offer no resistance to a garden hose.

How do you backflush the block (I'm afraid to ask)?

/ New owner questions
Thanks for these responses. I did the radiator flush myself. First I used a chemical flush on it. Then, since I needed to replace the fan belt (boy was that fun!) I took it all off and back-flushed the radiator and replaces the hoses (and the cap!). The radiator looks really clean and seems to offer no resistance to a garden hose.

How do you backflush the block (I'm afraid to ask)?

/ New owner questions #9  
Check the actual temp when the light comes on. I had a YM1300 that would show hot. When it did ,I could remove the cap and there wasn't any excess pressure. I replaced the sender, POOF no more overheating.

/ New owner questions #10  
Check the actual temp when the light comes on. I had a YM1300 that would show hot. When it did ,I could remove the cap and there wasn't any excess pressure. I replaced the sender, POOF no more overheating.