Is it really overheating?

/ Is it really overheating? #11  
Have you priced a waterpump? you are looking at $200+.

/ Is it really overheating? #12  
Have you priced a waterpump? you are looking at $200+.

/ Is it really overheating? #13  
I think you're entirely on the right track, you've already invested the money in the tractor and mower, a few more $$ to make sure it's up to snuff is a worthwhile investement. It could be that it's not overheating, you've just got a faulty sender. Fine. But adding a water pump means you can set your coolant to a 50/50 ratio and not have to worry about freezing (don't know if this is a problem where you are) and know that you're getting optimum performance from your machine. Seems like a reasonable course of action to me...........

/ Is it really overheating? #14  
I think you're entirely on the right track, you've already invested the money in the tractor and mower, a few more $$ to make sure it's up to snuff is a worthwhile investement. It could be that it's not overheating, you've just got a faulty sender. Fine. But adding a water pump means you can set your coolant to a 50/50 ratio and not have to worry about freezing (don't know if this is a problem where you are) and know that you're getting optimum performance from your machine. Seems like a reasonable course of action to me...........

/ Is it really overheating? #15  
Put a temp gauge on first and see what the actual temp is. You know you really want to put one on anyway........ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Plenty of them out there at the auto parts stores. I used a Sunpro on mine, came with metric fittings too.

/ Is it really overheating? #16  
Put a temp gauge on first and see what the actual temp is. You know you really want to put one on anyway........ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Plenty of them out there at the auto parts stores. I used a Sunpro on mine, came with metric fittings too.

/ Is it really overheating? #17  
When I had my 1700, here in Mississippi, with a 4 foot bush hog, mine didn't get hot, and I would mow for hours with it, in mid summer. Well, it did at first, till I replaced the radiator cap, and bought a sending unit from Hoye, that only cost I think it was a cheap price, and never thought of putting a water pump on. They made these tractors to be used, and they knew what they were doing and what was needed on them, it works fine without a water pump.

/ Is it really overheating? #18  
When I had my 1700, here in Mississippi, with a 4 foot bush hog, mine didn't get hot, and I would mow for hours with it, in mid summer. Well, it did at first, till I replaced the radiator cap, and bought a sending unit from Hoye, that only cost I think it was a cheap price, and never thought of putting a water pump on. They made these tractors to be used, and they knew what they were doing and what was needed on them, it works fine without a water pump.

/ Is it really overheating?
Well, I'm at least partly swayed by pruntyc's comments about his tractor working in Miss. It certainly doesn't get any worse around here. That may be worth an initial try (maybe with a temp gauge). It's not the $200 (actually, I think it's $300) for the pump that bothers me so much, but the thought of removing and replacing the radiator multiple times if I decide it needs to be cleaned. If the radiator comes off again, a water pump goes on :).

/ Is it really overheating?
Well, I'm at least partly swayed by pruntyc's comments about his tractor working in Miss. It certainly doesn't get any worse around here. That may be worth an initial try (maybe with a temp gauge). It's not the $200 (actually, I think it's $300) for the pump that bothers me so much, but the thought of removing and replacing the radiator multiple times if I decide it needs to be cleaned. If the radiator comes off again, a water pump goes on :).