Leaking Seal

/ Leaking Seal #1  

PWGflyboy

Tractor
YM 1510D
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a leak at the front left wheel. It seems the more I use the tractor, the worse the leak gets. I think part of the problem is that it appears that the front axle is filled with hydraulic fluid. I am not sure what it is but it certainly is not 90 wt gear oil. I had a suggestion to try transmission seal softner and heavier weight oil before changing the seal or going back to my dealer. Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Kendall

/ Leaking Seal #2  
I remember a thread on this forum dealing with something called hub-oil, Which I believe is a very thick oil ddsigned for front wheel drive units that leak.

/ Leaking Seal #3  
I kind of remember a thread about heavy oil for the front end leaks too. Something like "corn head oil" or grease as used on combines? Also, if the oil presently in the front end is red in color, it could be Mystic 90w gear oil, which is what I use. it looks like auto trans fluid.

Bill

/ Leaking Seal #4  
I believe it calls for the 90 weight gear oil. If there is something else in there, that just might be your problem. When they made things for your tractor, and someone may have put something else in it, it sometimes can cause a problem, it might not on some of them, but might on others. So the first thing I would do is drain it, and fill it with the proper gear oil and see if that didn't fix it. If it still leaks then you will need to replace seals.

/ Leaking Seal #5  
About a year ago, on some tractor forum somewhere, I posted about using Lucas Hub Oil in the 4WD front-end of a tractor with leaking seals .

Its a long story about that little tractor. After I bought it, I found that the entire front end had been filled with grease -- that's a whole nother story. It was still leaking. The seals were not only expensive, but darn hard to replace. After I did the first one, I was in no humor to do the other side. I also found other major leaks after I got all the grease out, replaced the first seal, and put in standard 90-140W oil.

In my quest for an answer, I found out about Lucas Hub Oil. It is meant for trailers (like in semi-trailers) with really leaky seals. I was told that the Hub Oil is so sticky that even if it all runs out, enough stays on the gears and bearings to keep things lubricated for a very long time.

The stuff has a look and consistency of warm honey, but it is a lot stickier. It actually pours and squirts fairly well. It smells like the fumes you might expect from the Gates of Haides.

Anyway, I filled the whole front-end with the stuff. The side without the replaced seal weeped a little bit when I first filled it. It wept again one time during some fairly hot weather when I was doing some grading on a steep hillside. After that, it never leaked or wept again. Every once in a while I'd check the levels to make sure it hadn't somehow snuck out. It didn't.

I was concerned about winter use, but that didn't seem to be a problem at all. I used the tractor regularly last winter in 10 to 20 degree F weather without any issues. I put about a 100 hours on that tractor after doing this work. I sold it not too long ago, but told the new owner about what I did, and I gave him a quart of the Hub Oil.

I found the Hub Oil at a parts store that specialized in repair parts and tools for tractor trailers and other big trucks. It was about $7 per quart.

Good Luck,

Knute

/ Leaking Seal
Thanks for the advice. I do recall seeing the thread but could not find it again. I found some locally and I will give it a try to see how it works.

Kendall

/ Leaking Seal #7  
If it were mine, I would want to fix it right, not just patch it up, and probably ruin the seal area, and maybe some other stuff. I don't have much faith in these fly by night fixs, they don't really fix anything, just hide it for a while. Then what will you do, stick someone else with the tractor?

/ Leaking Seal
Dick,

I agree and I can't stand a half-done fix to a problem but I really wonder if the light weight hy-tran is the issue. I hear, but don't know for a fact that the proper lubricant may fix the problem without a more extensive repair. I have a long term crop growing and will need a tractor this size for many years to come but I want to explore all my options before I either haul it back to my dealer or tear it down myself. I don't have a shop manual and have never done something like this so I just want to be sure before I jump in to a bigger project.

Thanks

Kendall

/ Leaking Seal #9  
I'm almost completely sure that it takes 90 weight gear oil. I had a Yanmar, and now have a JD, made by Yanmar, and it takes gear oil. Some of the late, John Deere's now take the hydro fluid, mine is last years, but they just started that, all of them before now, has always called for gear oil. And I read that some of the ones that calls for hydro fluid are leaking also. So that would be the first thing I would do. It wouldn't cost hardly anything, and only take a few minutes to drain and fill with the 90#.

/ Leaking Seal #10  
Kendall,
Have you considered the fact that any fixes you attempt before contacting the dealer may void your warranty ?

Bruce