Tractor Sizing scraper blade size

/ scraper blade size #1  

kmosabe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1300 Original/beautiful
Came across a great buy; 6 foot scraper blade manufactured by Big Max; heavy. My question is, is this too big for a 16hp yanmar 1300? Have the chance to trade this used blade for a 5 foot lighter weight scaraper blade which is almost new but not as well built.

/ scraper blade size #2  
You didn't say if your tractor is 2 or 4 wheel drive. But anyway the 6 is too big, and the 5 will probably be OK if you have 4 wheel drive. I had a YM 1700 and a 6 ft one. And it was too much for a 2 wheel drive, by a lot. I have a JD 4 wheel drive now and the 6 in great. Well, I have to say the 1700 would have worked OK with the 6 except all it would do is spin. It had the power, but not the weight.

/ scraper blade size
Kind of what I thought, At least I got a great blade for trading options. It is a 2wd, Would of liked a bigger tractor as well but for an immaculate, well taken care of tractor for only 1900, could not pass up.

/ scraper blade size #4  
A scraper blade is easily shortend Take 6" of each side for a 5 footer or 12" for a 4 footer. then you get to keep the heavy duty blade.

/ scraper blade size
Actually looked at the 5 foot blade to trade, was very cheap. I think I will cut the blade down. For a 2wd Yanmar 1300, 16hp, what length do you think would work best when I cut it down. Anyone out there with smaller HP tractor with experience, let me know. Thanks for good imput.

/ scraper blade size #6  
kmosabe said:
Actually looked at the 5 foot blade to trade, was very cheap. I think I will cut the blade down. For a 2wd Yanmar 1300, 16hp, what length do you think would work best when I cut it down. Anyone out there with smaller HP tractor with experience, let me know. Thanks for good imput.

Hi , I have a ym1401 and a 5' king kutter blade on it. Works good for my machine. I think it's not a very heavy blade to begin with though anyway. I do have my tires loaded with windsheild washer fluid also. Makes a big difference with traction.

Attachments

• megan 066.jpg
    megan 066.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 391
  • megan 070.jpg
    megan 070.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 233
   / scraper blade size #7  
I would want a 4' blade on that machine due to being 2wd. However.....a 5' blade will resell a lot better, and you can probably use a 5' if you are duly cautious in your use of it. I am not familiar with the brand you mention, but if it is seriously heavy as you say, perhaps try several small dealers in your are to see if anyone will trade against a 4' or 5' medium duty blade.

/ scraper blade size #8  
Generally, you would want the blade to still cover your tire tracks when angled to it's max position. Question....how does the average homeowner "easily" cut down a grader blade?

/ scraper blade size #9  
IMHO, I believe that any Yanmar originally equipped with a two point lift is risky with a box blade larger than 4'. Even a medium duty 4' scraper, when nearly full of gravel, crushed concrete or heavy fill (clay) is quite a work out. I have used a 5' on the smaller models and was always leery of damaging the rock shaft or snapping a lift arm...especially with the rippers down.

gary1611, Not defending or insulting anyone, but I have a different opinion. Obviously those that are well equipped in a shop environment and have the skills and inclination, would not hesitate to make the box blade conversion. I'm sure you could do it (me too) but we sometimes take for granted our God given talents and assume everyone can. It may be a major undertaking for the average Joe and to 'farm it out' would be very expensive (if done correctly).

Personally, I appreciate the experience, input, opinions and ideas of older members, dealers, parts suppliers AND new people with their fresh perspective on the old Yanmar theme. The members on this particular forum seem to be self policing and I haven't seen the necessity for a moderator to intervene since I signed on.

Mark

/ scraper blade size #10  
And for those who prefer not to read certain things here is a link to a thread created by one of the posters in this thread. Learn how to ignore any given poster HERE

I still don't understand why folks don't just give a clear answer to a clear question. There are lots of times when something isn't clear to me, and my question is solely to help me make sure I properly understand the poster. Seems proper to me. Third or fourth go round with the same question, yes, maybe the person asking is being obtuse for the heck of it, but golly, one simple question? Just don't answer if you really feel put out about it. Anway, if enough folks used the above option for posters they aren't interested in hearing from I reckon they'd be writing to themselves.