Freeze Plug????

/ Freeze Plug???? #1  

kmosabe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1300 Original/beautiful
I have a Yanmar 1300, manuals on order. Have not put any stress on the tractor since I purchased it a month ago. Have driven it about 30 minutes total. Today after about 10 minutes of use, noticed on the driveway fluid of some sort, all indicator lights were normal (doubt the idiot light works, have not tested it because will be replacing it with a gauge). I stopped the tractor and noticed coolant coming out. Hoses, radiator all normal, fluid seems to be leaking on the left side of the motor by the starter. On the block is a quater sized plug and the leak is occuring in this plug. To dark now, will take a picture tomorrow. Is this a freeze plug, if so, how the heck do you get one out, no threads or way to get a bite on it. Do you make a hole with a screwdriver and pop it out and replace it? Definetely will not do anything yet until I get the manuals and hear some feedback.

/ Freeze Plug???? #2  
"Do you make a hole with a screwdriver and pop it out and replace it? "

yep

/ Freeze Plug????
kmosabe said:
I have a Yanmar 1300, manuals on order. Have not put any stress on the tractor since I purchased it a month ago. Have driven it about 30 minutes total. Today after about 10 minutes of use, noticed on the driveway fluid of some sort, all indicator lights were normal (doubt the idiot light works, have not tested it because will be replacing it with a gauge). I stopped the tractor and noticed coolant coming out. Hoses, radiator all normal, fluid seems to be leaking on the left side of the motor by the starter. On the block is a quater sized plug and the leak is occuring in this plug. To dark now, will take a picture tomorrow. Is this a freeze plug, if so, how the heck do you get one out, no threads or way to get a bite on it. Do you make a hole with a screwdriver and pop it out and replace it? Definetely will not do anything yet until I get the manuals and hear some feedback.
okay, I have determined it is a freeze plug, I have created a hole larger enough for a screwdriver, I have wacked the SH__(will be nice) and still cannot get it out, any suggestions?

/ Freeze Plug???? #4  
Pry it out with a big screwdriver, (or whatever), go buy a removal tool, use your imagination. they will come out

/ Freeze Plug???? #5  
kmosabe said:

The plug is 30m, I have them in stock if you can't find one local.
Danny

/ Freeze Plug????
1danny said:
The plug is 30m, I have them in stock if you can't find one local.
Danny
Have not had time to get it out yet, will drill a small pilot hole very carefully and fashion a pulling device like what they sell. When I get it out, should I go ahead and put an in-line heater or would a hose heater work better, anyone out there install one in the freeze plug hole. It is not threaded, so do not even know if they make one for a non-threaded hole. Live in Missouri, today it is going to be 102, so not a problem, but in Winter it can be 70 one day and 5 below another. Thanks for the good info about getting the plug out.