any tricks for getting 1510 timing cover back on?

/ any tricks for getting 1510 timing cover back on? #1  

Roonabeck

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510 2wd, Kubota BX1860
So I got the timing cover off of my 1510 without too much hassle this weekend. I took out the old front main seal, which was cracked. I have a replacement for it, and it looks to me like it'll be easier to put the timing cover back on and then press the seal into place. Does that make sense to anyone who's done this before?

But the real point of the post: there's a little cam shaft that sticks out into the timing cover that apparently runs the injector pumps. When I took the cover off, I had to compress one of the roller assemblies that rides the cam by reaching in with a screwdriver and lifting it up a bit to get the #3 (or backmost) roller over the edge of the #2 (or middle) cam. I realized at the time that this would be a difficult operation to do in reverse. :) So now I've tried a couple of times to get the timing cover back on, and I haven't figured a good way to get the cams to stop interfering with the rollers on the bottoms of the pumps, short of also removing the water pump and the whole injector pump assembly. I'm guessing somebody here has probably done this lots of times; any suggestions?

/ any tricks for getting 1510 timing cover back on? #2  
I always put the seal in first, then put on the cover. You will need to remove the injection pump before you damage something (if not too late). It is very easy to remove - only 4 bolts.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ any tricks for getting 1510 timing cover back on?
Thanks, I'll just do it that way then.

/ any tricks for getting 1510 timing cover back on? #4  
Just as Aaron said....This may seem silly but make sure you remove the woodruff key from the crank before you install the timing cover. (Don't ask :))