Buying Advice Yanmar Advice, Please?

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #21  
LMTC said:
If "reconning" to you means putting the tractor through the shop and making any necessary repairs, then no, there is not only nothing wrong with reconning, it is what produces a reliable machine. The "recon" term has come to be identified in this market with units prepared for market in a particular place. And as the machines coming in from Japan get older and older (face it, there have been a LOT of machines imported in the last 12+ years), more of us are doing some painting, so paint may only mean just that...it was painted.

There is no way for you to "know" in the pure sense of the word. Your best assurance is an honest dealer...and for that we always recommend references, references, and then some references. Some old ones too....what did the dealer do when a customer had a problem 3 years later? Did they provide adequate information, prompt parts support, etc? We always provide a group of references, with at least one or two who have had some problem with their tractor (they are mechanical, and all will eventually need something) so a shopper can learn how those issues were resolved I purchased a Yanmar 1610D from LMTC in October of 2004. I got it with a 4 ft front end loader, bush hog, post hole digger and a back blade. I also use it year around. It was delivered right to my door. Everything was explained to me and all my questions were answered. I use it for brush cutting in a pasture, snow removal, mulch/compost/manure removal & turning, gravel removal, hauling firewood, etc.. I have been extremely pleased with the performance and support.] I have virtually had no issues with it. I use it a lot and only wish I had purchased one earlier. Yanmar diesels have such a good reputation.

The first winter I used it almost daily for snow removal. We get a lot of snow in upstate New York. It started well down to 13 degrees. Normally when we get a lot of snow it doesn't get that cold.

You will love having a front end loader as there are so many uses that you never dreamed of until you have one. Lifting large objects, carrying bags of feed or fire wood, etc..

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #22  
hello I have not visited here in a few years. mainly because I bought a Yanmar tractor , best **** tractor I've ever had so I have not needed to keep coming and asking how to fix ad repair, I would recommend them to everyone bought a YM1802D about 4 years ago from LMTC (Wayne) . got a real good deal and a very very nice yanny.. I change the filters and fluids every years and not 1 single problem .. I mow about 3.5 acres. at least once a week, keep snowed cleared off 4 different drives..(mines 1/2 mile long) and use a box scrapers to keep everything nice and level. pull car and trucks out of ditches. used it to pull multiflora out . I use it no less than 3 time a week year round.. its a very strong and dependable tractor maybe I got lucky because of the dealer I bought it from.. I know wayne will stand behind what he sells and have referred other friends of mine in his direction they all came away happy no need to go clear across the country to find a dealer when there is a good one on this side of the big easy try http://www.lmtcompany.com/ and you wont be disappointed.. MY only regret is I did not get a front loader. but like alot of other out there who could not afford kubota I found how good a yanmar really is

hank ym1802d

/ Yanmar Advice, Please?
I find it hard to believe how much I've learned the past 24 hours. And I didn't know what the **** a Yanmar was two days ago!

Thanks Knute, PruntyC, DaveLR, CAT793, BrianLucia and Ket1954 for chiming in. I won't hesitate to keep asking the questions. This is a wonderful forum that I intend to continue participating in. Bill

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #24  
Hi Cedar Bill! As for question #1, I would strongly advise you to give Wayne at LMTC a call. I bought a tractor from him over a year ago and couldn't be happier with the service I received before, during, and after the sale. I had what seemed like a thousand questions and Wayne spent over an hour with me out in the rain going over all the tractors and their features. I finally ended up buying a 2210 a few weeks later and have used it for countless jobs around my house. They are great little tractors and you cannot go wrong with LMTC. I'm lucky to be only a couple of hours from LMTC, but knowing what I know now, I would have no problem driving much farther if I had to just to deal with him. I'd be happy to provide additional details via PM if you like. Good Luck!

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #25  
My goodness Wayne (LMTC), are these all your relatives or are you really such a good guy?:)

More seriously, I am over on the left coast, but I consider Wayne to be a good friend and an honest man. If I needed a tractor in that area, I'd just call him and have it delivered. I wouldn't need pictures or details, just load it up. There are other good dealers as well, but there are also a lot of crooks.

So Wayne, if you are sending out gift certificates for nice comments, put me on the list.:eek:

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #26  
LMTC said:
If "reconning" to you means putting the tractor through the shop and making any necessary repairs, then no, there is not only nothing wrong with reconning, it is what produces a reliable machine. The "recon" term has come to be identified in this market with units prepared for market in a particular place. And as the machines coming in from Japan get older and older (face it, there have been a LOT of machines imported in the last 12+ years), more of us are doing some painting, so paint may only mean just that...it was painted.

There is no way for you to "know" in the pure sense of the word. Your best assurance is an honest dealer...and for that we always recommend references, references, and then some references. Some old ones too....what did the dealer do when a customer had a problem 3 years later? Did they provide adequate information, prompt parts support, etc? We always provide a group of references, with at least one or two who have had some problem with their tractor (they are mechanical, and all will eventually need something) so a shopper can learn how those issues were resolved.

I purchased a Yanmar tractor from LMTC in Oh. several years ago. The only maintenance that has been performed on this tractor is new seat and oil changes. The tractor is a 1601D around 1986. It does have a loader. Which is worth its weight in gold. The only thing that I would do different is to get a little bigger one. After checking with several other stores. Be careful of the not so trust worthy dealers out there. I will be trading mine in and will only deal with LMTC. When I get an honest dealer. I will stay with them.

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #27  
cedar bill:
i bought a 1601d from RCO a couple of years ago. They (bros John & Stuart) were super accomodating to make sure I got a machine that I was happy with. I've owned the machine for almost 2 years, and overall am happy with it- As i've posted here, i've had some issues with it, and some un-founded issues overall with viet - recons. However, with that said, I can say this: the RCO guys have gone an extra mile plus many more to make sure I'm satisfied. And, a note on the re-cons- My 1601 has just gone throught a brutal 70 hours of work moving several tons of earth and NE ledge and stone. Just last week, i moved a ton plus boulder and never had a problem. These are, tough tractors. If you have any questions about the tractor, or RCO, pls feel free to contact me. Also, about my opinions about the re-cons, pls contact me. good luck -art

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #28  
I usually don't like to respond to myself, but what the heck..

CedarBill & other fine yanmar TBN Folks; I just got off the 1601 (purchased from RCO) after working it most of the day.

Like I said in the previous post, I've put the tractor thru some very punishing work lately, today probably being the worst: Moving a few 4'x3' boulders by pushing, flipping, etc. Moving 10 yards of 1" crushed stone, ripping ledge outta the earth, etc.

I don't know what it is about these recons-- My 1601d, which is a recon from RCO, is running and operating better & better the more use it gets. Needless to say, I'm pretty darned happy about that.

Ironically after work today, in my email was a question from RCO asking about the replacement part i need- it had slipped my mind, but they remembered, that's pretty great for me, and kinda unbelievable since, what, i'm 1500 miles away...

I think you shouldn't be apprehensive about getting a tractor from these guys. These guys are nice, honest folks producing a fine product which, as I'm total witness to, stands up in the line of hard duty...

Here's a pic of some work today. Tractor looks good, a bit dirty, but tough as all get out...

And, I posted before I wasn't impressed with the loader on this unit, TOTALLY wrong about that, this loader lifted & flipped a boulder that an excavator (312b) couldn't hoist outta an area...

CedarBill, pls feel free to contact me if you have any other questions !

Attachments

• carrying_ledge.jpg
    carrying_ledge.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 133
  • placing_thresh.jpg
    placing_thresh.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 125
   / Yanmar Advice, Please? #29  
So what is your point? All the ones that are bought from other dealers like LMTC are doing the same thing. Do you really think yours is better???? All the Yanmars are good tractors, unless you get a piece of junk, be it a recon, or just used. Its just like people there is good and bad in all of them no matter rich or poor. The point most of us has been trying to make is that most of the Yanmars are in such good shape, that all they really need is the fluids changed and checked out for adjustments. And will do all these things. If they all needed to go to a recon place, then I would have to say they are pretty poor tractors that we are getting from Japan. But I know that is not true as most of them are just checked out and put to use, and do so for years with very little work needed done on them. After all most have very low hours on them for the age they are. most under 2000 hours, and a lot of them under 1000 hours, so why would they need new engine parts??? For they should be good for at least 5000 hours without an overhaul. Probably more it taken care of.

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #30  
Dick,
Why don't we try and help the person who's looking for references about buying a tractor, maybe from RCO, than just attacking someone (me) who has provided examples of a working RCO tractor? So, now to deal with your thread de-railing question:

So, "what's my point?" Cedar bill asked for some input on a tractor from RCO. I replied, the tractor works better as I use it. I don't think i would have gotten better from another dealer, I did well as it is.

My point is these are used tractors, their tractors are as good as anyone elses.

My point is that you and others here contribute to a "non-recon" tractor vibe which is ultimately offensive and turning potential other contributors and tbn members away.

My point is, I am not saying mine is better, but constantly defending that it is as good, and exceeding what all of your expectations are from a re-con.

i listened to the messages here for a long time and grew to really not trust the tractor I had. I've stopped doing that, I've started to believe, that after many hours of use, this tractor is fine, which it is. Are all of them fine? I don't know. Is mine better than others, I don't know. Am I comparing mine to others? No. I'm telling the fellow who posted here that I am quite pleased with my tractor from RCO after two years.

Seriously, people here have to start chilling out about the recon thing. The people who are waging the strongest anti-recon messaging have the most to lose, in everyway, both in sales and support.

I think we should make a rule here: If you haven't operated both a re-con and a non-recon (either US or asian), you should just stay out of the discussion. And, if you haven't logged 100 hours or so on the yanmar, maybe just be in read mode. Dick, I now own 3 yanmars, I can *SEE* the differences in the equipment, and it ain't much, unlike all of you are saying. That's my point. And, lets say by chance there is a HUGE difference, then were are all the people crying about all sorts of problems? Where? Where are they ? Most people are on internet now, so where are they?

CedarBill, if you want my personal opinion on an RCO tractor from this point, please feel free to contact me. Thanks!

pruntyc said:
So what is your point? All the ones that are bought from other dealers like LMTC are doing the same thing. Do you really think yours is better???? All the Yanmars are good tractors, unless you get a piece of junk, be it a recon, or just used. Its just like people there is good and bad in all of them no matter rich or poor. The point most of us has been trying to make is that most of the Yanmars are in such good shape, that all they really need is the fluids changed and checked out for adjustments. And will do all these things. If they all needed to go to a recon place, then I would have to say they are pretty poor tractors that we are getting from Japan. But I know that is not true as most of them are just checked out and put to use, and do so for years with very little work needed done on them. After all most have very low hours on them for the age they are. most under 2000 hours, and a lot of them under 1000 hours, so why would they need new engine parts??? For they should be good for at least 5000 hours without an overhaul. Probably more it taken care of.