Buying Advice Yanmar Advice, Please?

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #1  

Cedar Bill

Tractor
Looking
After 30 years living overseas, I'm coming home to settle in. Rural Virginia on the Blue Ridge. Building a nice home on a hill on 21 acres inside a 74 acre (8 lots) Association. I need a tractor for roadwork, bushogging and gardening and after a few days of internet research the older Yanmars look great. This Discussion Forum is just one of several places that are helping to convince me that these are fine older machines that are affordable and relatively easy to maintain. Price is a factor, I can't afford nor can I justify a new Kubota, for example Here are several questions I'd like help with from this forum that I'd like some help with:

1) It seems that Yanmar is NOT a big name in this part of Virginia. If I "import" one from another part of the country does anyone know of a reliable and reputable dealer in this area? I'm pretty good with mechanics and maintenance but am not one who can do it all himself and will need help when something major happens (can't machine parts or do overhauls myself, for example).
2) What can you tell me about RCO Tractor out of Austin, TX? Is this a reliable supplier for good reconditioned tractors and parts? Any other recommendations? Can I assume that if there is no Yanmar dealer in this area bringing one in would be a dumb idea?
3) Some of the threads in some of the discussion fora imply that getting a good reconditioned tractor is the luck of the draw. Is this the case with RCO?
4) For 21 acres (4 to be mowed the rest wooded), a mile of gravel road, and a one acre garden, if I get a Yanmar what model would you recommend?
5) I am assuming a 4WD with an FEL, a box blade and a bushog. Sound right? Any advantage of a regular blade over a box blade? What's the difference to the road grading function? How big?

I hope to monitor this forum for some time to learn. And if I end up buying a Yanmar in coming weeks I will certainly stay in the group. This seems like a knowledgeable group that is great to share information and opinions. Many thanks for any advice you can give on any of the items above. #1-3 are where I need the most help. Cedar Bill

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #2  
I don't think it matters that you live in Virginia. Most of us buy our parts online from the dealers who participate in this forum. From what I have seen so far, parts arrive quickly. They are also very helpful, as are many members of this forum, in diagnosing problems and telling you how to fix them. I have learned an amazing amount of information from their posts. Very good people on this forum.

Do a search on RCO, recently they answered the questions you are asking about their tractors on another thread in this forum. They sounded to me like a reliable outfit selling quality tractors, as are the other dealers who participate here. Read the old threads and you will become familiar with the dealers who are selling good tractors.

As for size you might want one of the bigger Yanmars with 21 acres. I will say that with a FEL that a powershift transmission is helpful. I really like mine. Definitely get 4wd with hills and a loader.

Welcome to TBN!

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #3  
I live in central Virginia and have a Yanmar YM 330 and a Yanmar 1300 4WD
there are parts available for both right here in the Commonwealth. You can email me and come drive either tractor if you'd like to get the 'feel' of one before you buy. I really like the 330 and have used it this Summer to rake hay
and pull a finish mower. Got it in a trade and have about $2300 in it has around 1300hrs uses no oil and runs good.

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #4  
Bill I just noticed you live in Stanardsville which is only about 15 miles from me

/ Yanmar Advice, Please?
Hard Knocks,

Thanks for responding. Sounds like you like your marchines. I'd love to see and ride your Yanmars AND pick your brain before buying. I actually still live up in Annandale (very Northern VA) and am moving to Stanardsville in October. But I'm down a couple times a week on my home building gig. Are you available tomorrow, Thursday? I'll e-mail separately too. Bill

PS. Thanks to any others who respond to my thread.

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #6  
B-4 you buy a yanmar from a company , do some digging into their operation. ask questions from people who have bought from this co. how they were treaded, is it a vietnam rebuild,what was done in the recon. process, etc,.Some places don't do what they say they do durning the recon. process.You don't want to buy & have troubles with the tractor down the road & have no support from the dealer you bought from.

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #7  
There are some now selling vn recons who have bought a few units from stateside suppliers, and thus advertise tractors reconditioned here. Ask if any of a given dealer's units are recons, if that's the information you really want. Best assurance.....history, reputation, references.....the more the better, and some at least a year old or more (most people are happy at first).

All our units now go out with new OSHA approved ROPS, pto shields, OR clutches, clutch safety switches, and new english language decals. And they are processed/repaired stateside, after coming directly from Japan.

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #8  
Ask for proof of exactly what was done to the tractor if it was a recon and if it was done stateside or Vietnam. And, yes, get references, including older ones. You want to talk to people who have had their tractor for awhile, not a month.

/ Yanmar Advice, Please?
Good advice so far, thanks all. I'm gathering that recons are not necessarily bad but they should NOT be reconned in Vietnam and the dealer/seller needs to have a strong track record of support.

What's the best way to know if a unit has really been reconned or is just a used tractor (assuming you can't always believe the vendor)? Is it the new paint that gives it away? (Sorry if these are ignorant questions, I'm learning).

I'm still waiting to hear from Yanmar owners who have had a good experience with a used and/or reconned Yanmar, who they bought from and who the stellar vendors are. If not in open forum just send me a note on the side. Thanks. I'm learning and appreciative of the good advice. Bill

/ Yanmar Advice, Please? #10  
Cedar Bill said:
What's the best way to know if a unit has really been reconned or is just a used tractor (assuming you can't always believe the vendor)? Is it the new paint that gives it away? (Sorry if these are ignorant questions, I'm learning).
Bill

If "reconning" to you means putting the tractor through the shop and making any necessary repairs, then no, there is not only nothing wrong with reconning, it is what produces a reliable machine. The "recon" term has come to be identified in this market with units prepared for market in a particular place. And as the machines coming in from Japan get older and older (face it, there have been a LOT of machines imported in the last 12+ years), more of us are doing some painting, so paint may only mean just that...it was painted.

There is no way for you to "know" in the pure sense of the word. Your best assurance is an honest dealer...and for that we always recommend references, references, and then some references. Some old ones too....what did the dealer do when a customer had a problem 3 years later? Did they provide adequate information, prompt parts support, etc? We always provide a group of references, with at least one or two who have had some problem with their tractor (they are mechanical, and all will eventually need something) so a shopper can learn how those issues were resolved.