shifting on the go

/ shifting on the go #11  
The double clutch shiffting up with a fixed trottle should be feasable. Downshifting may be a tad more difficult with the fixed throttle.

With ground engageing equipment engauged it may get even more difficult both up or down.:D

/ shifting on the go #12  
I like my trannies too much to even try to shift a non-synchro on the go. I've got way more better things to do than tear down a tranny in 'x' years when it fialed when i needed it due to years of wear from shifting on the go.

All my tractors can start out in high gear fine..

Soundguy

/ shifting on the go #13  
Maybe shift while the tractor is moving (costing with no load) but never engage the pto while moving. I know (lucky only cost 200 dollars to fix). If you lunch the cluster in most of these tractoes buy another one and use the old one for parts.

/ shifting on the go #14  
I rarely shift on the go but, once in a while I will downshift from 4th to 3rd gear while mowing when I need to turn a corner. It usually goes right in. If it does not a quick double clutching fixes that. I am sure it is a bad technique i have picked up. I suppose the tranny was not designed for shift on the go. I agree with Soundguy. It will start in all gears. Shifting should not be necessary.

/ shifting on the go #15  
Why would anyone want/need to shift a geardrive Yanmar on the go? I trust the manufacturers to know what they are talking about, and they say, "don't do it".

/ shifting on the go #16  
The first couple of days I owned mine, I tried to shift it like a car, only to quickly discover it had a non-synchro trans. Since then, I start in the gear I need, which can be a bit of a pain if I could go faster once I clear the drive or something, but I just deal with it.........I don't want to have to rebuild a tranny either............

/ shifting on the go
Had to try it. I was rolling along with fixed throttle. Shifted from 2nd to 3rd. Went in smooth as silk. I'm not going to do it again just had to try.

big dan

/ shifting on the go #18  
Having worked on and with the Yanmar a little since my purchase I am forced to revise my opinion on shifting on the go. (Other than the owner manual saying that you shouldn't which is reason enough but not having the benefit of an owners manual I stated an opinion that is incorrect). I cleaned out the filter/screen on my 240D and discovered some metal filings attached to the screen. I was replacing the oil as I have no idea how many hours it had done before me buying it. Someone screwed in the dipstic/plug scew (stripping it in the process - will need to speak to Hoyes) and it made contact with the gears taking off some metal off the dipstick. I removed the unit on top of the gearbox (to which the shift lever is attached) in order to see what was going on and to inspect for any further damage. Although the gears are adequately designed for their intended purpose I was amazed to see how narrow the gears are. The idler gear engaging the final drive in 4th gear High Range (8th gear) has teeth on the side of the gear engaging into similar slots on the side of the final drive gear are really not substantial. You certainly do not want to be doing anything that could potentially remove any more of the bearing surface there. Thus Don't shift on the go!

/ shifting on the go #19  
Wise words.

Eugene