shifting on the go

/ shifting on the go #1  

oldhippy

Silver Member
Tractor
junk
I work with a man that has a YM 1500D. We were talking and he says that he shifts on the go. I have a YMG 2000D and have never done this. I have a small place and don't need to get anywhere fast. I thought that on this forum they had warned about shifting while moving. Any input?

thanks big dan

/ shifting on the go #2  
I have a YM1700 and while it is a manual non synchonized tranny I have found that you can sometime shift without stopping. It usually works between 3rd and 4th gear most of the time

/ shifting on the go #3  
SailorBob said:
I have a YM1700 and while it is a manual non synchonized tranny I have found that you can sometime shift without stopping. It usually works between 3rd and 4th gear most of the time

What happens the rest of the time:eek: ?

/ shifting on the go #4  
The only time I stop to shift my 1700 is when going from forward to reverse. I kinda find this hard to comprehend:p :p :p

/ shifting on the go #5  
Some times I have a hard time shifting when my YM1700 is not moveing . I don't think It will shift when it is moveing . I have not tryed it, Maybe I should.

/ shifting on the go #6  
We used to have a Farmall 140 that you could upshift while moving if you did it fast enough. Of course I was a teenager then. I wouldn't do it now.

Eugene

/ shifting on the go
Thanks for the input. Sounds like you could do it. I ain't going to try it. I sometimes grind with it sitting still. Thanks big dan

/ shifting on the go #8  
I have a 1500 and I shift up and down all the time without stopping. Truth is, I've never considered stopping until reading this thread.

Shifting up has never been any problem. Shift down, I normally double clutch.

But, if you're afraid to do it or have doubts that you can do it, you probably shouldn't.

Bob

/ shifting on the go #9  
I have a 1500D. I have found that it will shift on the go...but I think it is just like shifting a car without putting in the clutch.....If the RPM is just right it will work, but I don't know if it is bad for it or not. I only found out it worked by accident.

I know the owner's manual I bought for it says not to, so I don't.

/ shifting on the go #10  
The older Trucks (I am not referring to the Ford F250 size vehilces that you refer to as trucks in the States but the bigger 3 - 5 ton size - I don't know what they are commonly referred to as) the gearboxes were not fitted with synchromesh so the only way to shift up or down was to double-clutch. This was in order to get the two gears you are wanting to engage spinning at close enough the same speed for the gears to engage without grinding or to engage at all. The exact same concept should apply to a tractor gearbox. We always shifted the Tractors on the farm on the go (JD and MF) without any ill effects. I cannot comment on the Yanmar in terms of long term effect but I tested on my 240D and can easily shift from 7 to 8 and can shift from 8 to 7 with a double-clutch. I did not try any of the other gears as it should not be necessary. You can pull away easily in 7th gear anyway. If you cannot do it without grinding the gears or forcing it you should probably not do it. You are however more likely to damage the gear selectors than damage the gears themselves if you force it.