yanmar 3110D Question

/ yanmar 3110D Question #1  

goatpharmerx

Tractor
Yanmar 3110
Sunday evening I cranked up my 3110d to use my box blade. After about 5 minutes of use a stick got thrown up and busted the water hose going from the side of the engine block back to the radiator. Water started pouring out of the busted hose. I was about 1/4 th mile from home so I thought I could make it back without overheating. I barely made it into the yard when the tractor suddenly seem to lose power and cut off. I tried to crank back b/c I worried that I locked it up and it only made a clicking sound. I got pretty mad went inside told my wife what I had done then walk back outside and it turned over just fine. I fixed the hose put water in and ran it 45minutes yesterday. Everything seemed fine, no smoke or anything. I thought nothing else of it until I told someone else and they made me worry a bit about it. Just wondering what you guys thought?

/ yanmar 3110D Question #2  
The events you described sounds like what I know as a "heat seize" (sp?). A number of bad things can happen like the rings collapsing, scuffing of the cylinder bores or pistons and warping of the cylinder head to mention a few. :( The potential damage is influenced by factors such as the thickness of the cylinder liners (sleeves), rings, piston crown and mantle etc. Look for signs like loss in power (due to lower compression), excessive oil consumption, water consumption, overheating, oil in coolant (Oily white sludge in radiator), water in oil (milky appearance of engine oil). I really hope that you did not suffer any damage. When oil exceeds a certain temperature it starts degrading. I would replace the engine oil if I were you. My best advice is that you should continue working the tractor and look for any signs of damage. There is nothing you can change by worrying about it now. Worry about problems if they are evident. You may have been lucky. Who knows.

Good Luck

Marnus

/ yanmar 3110D Question #3  
Not to alarm you, but you could have trashed your engine. Temp sensors require hot water to show hot. If you lose all/enough water you can easily fry an engine and never show hot by light or gauge.

/ yanmar 3110D Question #4  
I'm with the others.. If I busted a water line on my tractor and couldn't cobble a repair with a hand rag and my trousers belt.. then i'd shut her down as soon as i got her off the road and WALK.. Way better than a new engine.
That is why I carry a cellphone with me...

Soundguy

/ yanmar 3110D Question
I'm not a complete idiot but I just never thought it would have run hot enough to hurt the engine in that amount of time. When it bursted the temp gauge was only reading 160 degrees (it had only been running about 5 minutes).. It's still running fine.. I ran it for 45 minutes in the middle of the day 95+ degrees and again yesterday afternoon.

/ yanmar 3110D Question #6  
Glad to hear your tractor is fine.

/ yanmar 3110D Question #7  
Temp gauges have to be imersed in water to work properly. They are usually mounted high.. like int he head. if you get a water leak on a low point.. like a lower hose.. it doesn't take long before the gauge is dry. besides.. these units don't hold alot of collant anyway.. thus the issue.

Good luck.

Soundguy

goatpharmerx said:
I'm not a complete idiot but I just never thought it would have run hot enough to hurt the engine in that amount of time. When it bursted the temp gauge was only reading 160 degrees (it had only been running about 5 minutes).. It's still running fine.. I ran it for 45 minutes in the middle of the day 95+ degrees and again yesterday afternoon.

/ yanmar 3110D Question #8  
Consider yourself extremely LUCKY!!!
Have you played the Lotto lately? Might consider it with your luck!!!
David from jax