Update on my 1500D

/ Update on my 1500D #1  

Mace

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM1500D
I have been using the heck out of my little tractor for a couple of months now. A lot with a post hole digger and a box blade. I have been very happy with it. I have noticed a bit of oil leaking at the left front wheel...just enough to show, nothing that really has me concerned. The only problem I have had with it is with the Koyker loader. The hydraulic control valve for raising the bucket up and down is becoming very hard to move. The control for dumping the bucket is not. Kind of ironic that the only real problem with the tractor is with the new impliment installed on it.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong with the control valve? I haven't called RCO or Koyker yet because I don't want to bother them if it is something easy to fix. The more I read about what some guys are able to do to their tractors that seems intuitive and simple to them, the more I am feeling that I don't know enough about tractors........

Anyway, is this a problem to call the dealer about, or is it something I should be able to adjust/fix?

Thanks.....

/ Update on my 1500D #2  
If it were me, I would let them know regardless of how simple or complex the problem is....or may become. Small glitches are much easier to fix and diagnose rather than wait and have a major failure...(IMHO).

/ Update on my 1500D #3  
Is it your actual joystick that is hard to move? Or it just takes a really long time for it to go up or down? If it the joystick you may be able to loosen a nut in there a little. You should call your dealer anyway though and get advice.

/ Update on my 1500D #4  
If this is a two handle valve (rather than a single joystick) there is a specific fix. Call RCO if that is who sold you the loader. The selling dealer bears responsibility for warranty service, not Koyker. Koyker is very supportive of their dealers, but seriously, your selling dealer should handle that for you. And you really should not avoid calling them even over something simple.....a good dealer never feels that a customer is "bothering" them when they call with a concern. It should be an opportunity for the dealer to make the customer glad they purchased from them.

/ Update on my 1500D #5  
LMTC amd Mark777 are correct contact the dealer. He may give you directions to attempt the fix the problem yourself or have someone repair it. You should check out the leak. Some additive may take care of it. But I would jack up the front end and see it there is play in the drive assembly for the leaking wheel . for example tith the opposit wheel on the ground place a 2x4 several feet long under the tire and raise up on it. If there is play in it Talk with your dealer about it. You paid for access to support when you bought a tractor with a warrenty.

Glad to hear things are going well with you. A tractor that does not need a little wrenching is boreing.

/ Update on my 1500D
LMTC said:
If this is a two handle valve (rather than a single joystick) there is a specific fix. Call RCO if that is who sold you the loader. The selling dealer bears responsibility for warranty service, not Koyker. Koyker is very supportive of their dealers, but seriously, your selling dealer should handle that for you. And you really should not avoid calling them even over something simple.....a good dealer never feels that a customer is "bothering" them when they call with a concern. It should be an opportunity for the dealer to make the customer glad they purchased from them.

It is a two handled valve.

/ Update on my 1500D #7  
Mace,

Like the others said, call RCO......There is no doubt that they'll come up with a solution.

/ Update on my 1500D #8  
like everyone has suggested, call rco. Don't make the same mistake i made by festering and not calling them. they'll help, and they'll be glad to hear from you... sounds like you are putting serious hours on the tractor, that's good to read too...

/ Update on my 1500D #9  
In regards to the oil leak, use the FEL to take the weight off the front and tighten the 7 bolts under the lower drive housing and the 4 bolts that attach the housing to the axle. With use I have found these will work loose and will need to be retighten periodically. Also check for steering knuckle play. The only thing that keeps the drive housing from dropping out is that one bolt holding the steering knuckle on. On uneven ground the vertical movement will cause oil to leak from top or the drive knuckle seal. How many hours do you have on it? I would imagine by this time you should be wrenching everything that you can see including the wheel bolts....

/ Update on my 1500D
VT_Hokie said:
In regards to the oil leak, use the FEL to take the weight off the front and tighten the 7 bolts under the lower drive housing and the 4 bolts that attach the housing to the axle. With use I have found these will work loose and will need to be retighten periodically. Also check for steering knuckle play. The only thing that keeps the drive housing from dropping out is that one bolt holding the steering knuckle on. On uneven ground the vertical movement will cause oil to leak from top or the drive knuckle seal. How many hours do you have on it? I would imagine by this time you should be wrenching everything that you can see including the wheel bolts....

I've put about 13 hours on the meter. I haven't really been doing a lot of high RPM stuff so it takes a lot longer than an hour to show an hour on the meter. I have been trying to go through and tighten all the bolts but they seem to have done a good job hiding them because I am constently finding bolts I haven't seen before......