Brush cutter makes rows

/ Brush cutter makes rows #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
My Yanmar 1802 has a 4 foot Razor brush cutter which cuts the grass as short and as smooth as a finish mower but instead of scattering the grass, it piles it up in a row on the left side sort of like a hay rake does. Does anyone know what I could do to make it scatter the grass more evenly so it does not pile up in rows and kill the grass under it? Here is an image of what the grass looks like:

Attachments

• cutgrass.jpg
    cutgrass.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 266
   / Brush cutter makes rows #2  
Mow in the opposite direction, so that you throw the cut grass onto the uncut grass and cut it again, no more rows, (almost).

/ Brush cutter makes rows #3  
I would do as Norm said, but I have to say, that doesnt cut as good as a finishing mower, imho.

/ Brush cutter makes rows #5  
Are you dragging the cutter's skids on the ground?

/ Brush cutter makes rows #6  
Looks like a typical rotary cutter discharge to me. They're not designed to lay out an even layer of discharge.....that's a finish mower's job.

/ Brush cutter makes rows
The grass isn't cut as short and neat as usual in the photo because today I adjusted the rear wheel so the back would be higher hoping it would throw the grass out the back more but it didn't. The skids are just above the ground level. This is a light or medium duty brush cutter. I have a 4 foot heavy duty John Deere cutter but it doesn't cut the grass as low or as neat but it does throw the grass out more evenly instead of piling it up in rows. I have a 7 foot flail mower on my International I use on most of my pasture but I need something smaller for the tight spots. I guess I have to sell my two 4 foot brush cutters and buy a finish mower. Thanks for your help everyone.

/ Brush cutter makes rows #8  
tallyho8 said:
Norm
I have tried that but all I wind up with is one large row of grass instead of 2 little rows...

I don't understand what you mean by 1 row instead of 2; however I have the same mower and it works for me. If it throws to the left, mow in a CCW direction. The mown grass should all end up in the center, which you can easily re-mow to smithereens.

Last edited: