did some work with my new tactor today

/ did some work with my new tactor today #1  

harry trattner

Bronze Member
Hi everyone ,finnally got to do some work with my new (1610d) today ,box scaper and fel work,its all new to me ,tractor works real good ,helping a friend w/ horse c---p ,he has about 5 years spread round beuase he doesn't have a fel on his old 424IH ,so I am useing the box scraper and the loader .All seems to work fine ,but I need to get use to the power shift ,find myself using the clutch alot .As for the locking def.that works great .PS what rpms should I use to do this kind of work? been using 2200,also its a real art to scoop up without going to deep,is there a trick ?My temp light came on and off depending on the slant of the tractor but my gauge read less than half ,so I put water in the overflow (it was down to bottom mark and after that everthing was fine for 3 hours of box and fel work (does that seem ok.)thanks to all ,Harry Ca

/ did some work with my new tactor today #2  
Harry,

It's just going to take patience and practice with the FEL gouging.
2200 operating RPM's is fine.
The recovery tank sensor is doing it's job....flashing on/off when the bottle is low. This does not indicate the tractor overheating or temperature gauge is faulty.

Happy tractoring!

Mark

/ did some work with my new tactor today #3  
Harry,
Good to hear, half the fun is learning to finese it. Gives you an excuse for more seat time. Mark is right about your light, just a sensor doing its job.

Bruce

/ did some work with my new tactor today #4  
You will learn pretty quickly when to curl your bucket before you get in too deep. Once you've gotten a few good loads your instinct will kick in. Same with the powershift. I kept clutching at first, too. It kind of goes against instinct to shift without clutching. My loader seems to work faster and better if I come into the pile with a little bit of a slant on the bucket (teeth down but back of bucket up a couple of inches). I also work the loader with my right hand and the powershift with my left so I don't have to stop or try to go back and forth between the loader control and the shifter. You will enjoy your tractor. Now, I just hope the next time I drive a gear tractor I don't try to shift without clutching. Probably not since my car is a manual and I manage to drive that nearly everyday without incident. Happy tractoring!

/ did some work with my new tactor today #5  
harry trattner said:
My temp light came on and off depending on the slant of the tractor but my gauge read less than half ,so I put water in the overflow (it was down to bottom mark and after that everthing was fine for 3 hours of box and fel work (does that seem ok.)thanks to all ,Harry Ca

That is not the temperature sensor, that is the low coolant sensor.

When you get more seat time on your tractor you will get a feel for the bucket being level and the angle of the bucket. It just takes practice. You may want to try to rig yourself up a bucket level indicator.

/ did some work with my new tactor today
How do I do level marker?

/ did some work with my new tactor today #7  
Look through the Build It Yourself section here on TBN and search for "bucket level indicator". I know there are a few on here that have built their own.