Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers

/ Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers #1  

arthr31

Platinum Member
Tractor
3 Yanmars
Hi,
I may have asked this before, sometime, can't remember...

Is there a way to research Yanmar Serial Numbers? Specifically, if I have S/N from the chassis, engine, and other components, is there any database/book/site that I might be able to research the source of these components? I suppose that Yanmar Co. itself might have this information, but I don't imagine that they would talk to me...

If any dealers/ppl outthere have a comprehensive S/N to chassis or engine part list, please give me a PM...

I'm trying to do the equivalent of building a "family tree" for one of my tractors... Thanks a lot, in advance -arthr

/ Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers #2  
I seriously doubt that there is any info to be gained from any Yanmar serial #'s.

/ Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers #3  
I seriously doubt that there is any info to be gained from any Yanmar serial #'s.

You can tell if your tractor was made before or after someone else's tractor of the same model. :) That is about it. The serial numbers really are only useful when you need to order a part that has had a design change. You will then need to provide your serial number to determine if you need the "old" part or the "new" part. They are not like VIN numbers that can tell you engine type, mfg plant, options, etc. They start at a low number like 00001 and go up- 1 number at a time.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers
Thanks, Aaron. Here's what I'm specifically after... If I compile a list of all S/Ns on my tractor, would I be able to tell if they all came from the same make/model. So, I'm looking to see if I have the same parts that came standard with a particular model at the time it was manufactored ( on a ym1601d). I'm trying to ascertain if maybe I might have a mix of other model parts, or even something else altogether.

A manufactures audit trail - S/N list for my particular unit would be very helpful in reconstructing it's "known" history.

i'm doing other "fact finding" work on my 1601 too, things like fluid analysis, seal sample, etc. to hopefully determine mechanical state of things... Thanks a bunch for your information.. -arthr

p.s. Front-axle fluid analysis found bits of aggregate organic material, probably mud or something else. No leaks, just chunky!

HoyeTractor said:
You can tell if your tractor was made before or after someone else's tractor of the same model. :) That is about it. The serial numbers really are only useful when you need to order a part that has had a design change. You will then need to provide your serial number to determine if you need the "old" part or the "new" part. They are not like VIN numbers that can tell you engine type, mfg plant, options, etc. They start at a low number like 00001 and go up- 1 number at a time.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers #5  
Arthr31, are talking about all of the parts on your tractor being original ? or if some of them came from another tractor ? as in someone putting together your tractor from a # of tractors ? :confused:

/ Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers
Hey kenmac,

Kind of all that you asked. Firstly I'm interested to find out if my major components are all original to that particular model (e.g. engine, frame, tranny, bell housing, pto, etc. ) Secondly, if the part number doesn't match what I have for a model, then what model family did it come from? Third, are there just unknown misc parts on the tractor? Small items like fuel bowl and stuff like that I have less concern for (like on my truck, there are several "small" items that are no longer orginal :D )

I know this might be an impossible task, but I'm trying anyway...

/ Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers #7  
It is my understanding that you are correct....it is impossible.

/ Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers #9  
You should be able to tell by model # if your engine and transmission are the type that should be in your tractor. Like my engine is a 2t90 and it should be...etc... Weather it came out of another tractor or excavator or what ever I will never know....?

/ Researching Yanmar Tractor Serial Numbers #10  
I vote with Wayne and Aaron with respect to "original" - if you define "original" as being "that part which was installed when the tractor was first manufactured".

The manufacturers of aircraft certified to the various governmental/regulatory agencies must permanently maintain records which define the "as built" configuration of each unit. I doubt that kind or record keeping is required of, or available from tractor manufacturers.

My guess would be that you could only determine "original" vs "modified" so far as to determine whether a particular part appears on an authoritative list of repair parts for that model/serial. That would be a large task, but might enable one to determine whether "will-fit" or 3rd Party parts were used to repair/rebuild/recondition a specific unit. (Note that "will-fit" and "3rd Party" is not intended to be synonymous terms.)

I believe that's what the OP was/is trying to determine.