Runaway Yanmar-Help!

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help! #11  
The pump does come out of the top. You need to unhook the governor from the inside first. Just keep all of your shims (between the pump & block). As long as you use the same shims your timing should not change when you put it back. Be careful if you start taking things apart on the pump or you may need to get it recalibrated at a diesel injection shop.

Good luck,
Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help! #12  
I had the same thing happen with my 1720D after it sat for 3 years during a divorce settlement. It would start, but it ran wide open. I ended up taking the injection pump off and having it rebuilt locally, really just cleaned up. It has run great since then. That has been about 8 years ago now. It cost around 200.00 to have it rebuilt, but I believe it was worth it to assure that there are no future fuel problems down the road.

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help! #13  
glad to see you ended up with the tractor.:eek:

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help! #14  
tjgator, after you pull the pump out don’t listen to that little voice in your head that says "I can fix this" take it to a diesel shop and have them go through it. There are a ton of parts in there as you can see and they have to be timed when put back together.

Buck

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help!
Finally got around to removing the pump, at least I tried. I removed all lines and got them out of the way, as well as the 4 nuts that hold down the pump. Now I can only get the pump out slightly-not quiite enough to pass by the studs. I have removed the cover with 4 bolts on the side of the governor housing and can see where a slotted lever seems to have the pump captive. Can you help to explain how to get the pump the rest of the way out, before I get impatient and end up breaking something?
Thanks,
Tom

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help! #16  
Not sure which model you have but doesn't it have a water pump? And if so won't you need to remove it so the pump has clearance to come out fully?

Sorry....trying to help here.

Mark

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help!
Well, I did get impatient and tried once more and it came right out. I guess I wasn't holding my mouth just right or got the right combo of @#$%#$@! cuss words. I did have to remove the exhaust manifold, but not the water pump. I got the pump out and the rack was frozen. I tapped it lightly once and it freed right up. I guess I'm just lucky. Tomorrow I'll put it back together and post an update. Thanks To ALL!!

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help! #18  
Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help!
All did go well. I put it all back together this A.M. and other than a little trouble priming the engine It runs GREAT. This is a super place for info!
I followed the advice I got here and actually got it running. Price for all parts was $0.00. I spent more time before I found this site fooling around with it, trying to figure out the problem than I did in actually fixing it.

THANKS Again,
Tom

/ Runaway Yanmar-Help! #20  
Glad to see you got her running;)