2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #1  

vallyfarm

Silver Member
Trying to narrow my search down, I was wondering why some models have a 2 cyl engine, and another has a 3 cyl engine. It seems to have nothing to do with horsepower. Ae there any advantages to either engine, better fuel usage, better torque curve, etc. Also, how importaint is transmission choice? I plan on a lot of rototilling, but also some FEL work in the goat barn. Any hints would be great. Mike

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #2  
I can tell you from personal experience that 3 cyl. engines aren't as loud as 2 cyl. ones. The 2 cyl. might be a little better on fuel consumption. That being said, I have a 3 cyl. and it uses less than half a gallon of diesel per hour of working (mowing or using the loader).

As for transmissions, if you are doing loader work you will find a powershift very nice. A powershift lets you shift gears without using the clutch. I know between HST and gear that you lose some PTO hp with the HST, but I think with the powershift vs. gear that that is minimal.

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #3  
Mike,

Aside from that wonderful sound a 2 cyl. makes, it is also better on fuel, has more torque and less moving parts than the 3 cyls. If you want a 2 cyl. with Powershift, you need to look at the YM2210.

Bruce

P.S. What part of York State are you in ? I grew up on a mountain overlooking Elmira, NY

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #4  
Engines come in many different configurations.

Eg. two cylinder - Inline, opposed, that ugly V harley

Some configurations are naturally balanced, others are not. Usually more cylinders means smoother operation as there are more firing impulses.

RPM limits on engines may depend on bore size and stroke.

Fuel efficiency is dependant on the design.

Noise will be dependant on engine design and muffler systems.

And on and on can go the variables.

To answere your question there is no answere!:D

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #5  
My favorite value of all the models we carry is the 2 cylinder 2210. Strong as an ox, whips a comparably sized 3 cylinder all to heck at low RPMs. Only drawback I see is noise, and even the 3 cylinders are noisy enough that the operator should be wearing hearing protection anyway.

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #6  
LMTC said:
My favorite value of all the models we carry is the 2 cylinder 2210. Strong as an ox, whips a comparably sized 3 cylinder all to heck at low RPMs. Only drawback I see is noise, and even the 3 cylinders are noisy enough that the operator should be wearing hearing protection anyway.
Ear protection? the noise is music to my ears.... ;) :)

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #7  
I have a 3 cyl YM2310 and I love it. Could not bog the thing down if I tried!

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #8  
Adam23 said:
I have a 3 cyl YM2310 and I love it. Could not bog the thing down if I tried!

You don't really mean that;) .

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #9  
I haven't heard many Yanmars and I don't know if my 3 cylinder 1802 is an exception but noise has never been an issue with it. It is much quieter than my Honda 4-wheeler and way quieter than my riding mower and my gas generator. And I can't even hear it running when my neighbor is using his chain saw.

/ 2 cyl. VS 3 cyl. engine #10  
"Trying to narrow my search down, I was wondering why some models have a 2 cyl engine, and another has a 3 cyl engine. It seems to have nothing to do with horsepower."

It appears to depend strictly on dates of beginning manufacture. I believe all 3 cylinder models were released after 2 cylinder models, meaning all new tractors after a certain date were 3 cylinder.