Can my tractor pull this spreader?

/ Can my tractor pull this spreader? #1  

roxynoodle

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510d, 1950 Farmall H
I have a Yanmar 1510D. Right now I use it to load my manure spreader and I hook the spreader up to my truck. I have been considering adding a second tractor for pulling the spreader (old ag tractor). If I put a jack on this tongue, do you think I could hook it to my tractor after it's loaded? I can barely lift it unloaded to hook it to my truck (in fact I often use the loader to lift it instead of doing it by myself). I know I can't lift it by myself loaded. And if I put a jack on this, can my tractor pull it? The spreader is about 16 feet long (box).

trailer tractor 005_edited.jpg

/ Can my tractor pull this spreader? #2  
I think it would without any real problem. I see people pulling small ground drive spreaders around here often.

/ Can my tractor pull this spreader? #3  
There's only one way to find out if you can pull it. The primary concerns I would have are---tongue weight...your 1510 can only handle so much tongue weight (and I would not do it without a ROPS anyway), and inclines. You can pull far more than you can stop. The stopping thing goes on level ground too, but is far more an issue on an incline.

/ Can my tractor pull this spreader? #4  
Rox I pull one about that size with the 2210. I don't have to use many rpms. I use a 3 point draw bar. I just back up put the draw bar between the hitch and pin it (very easy). I wish I had another tractor to pull it around with but my CFO won't approve the expendature so I use the one tractor for loading and pulling. Just keep ur 3 point low when u pull it around. With the FEL it is extremly stable. I don't have a ROPS yet. My spreader has a drop down tonge stand. Harbour freight has some nice little trailer jacks for about $20.00. They just clamp on with 2 big u bolts. That would work better then that bucket.

/ Can my tractor pull this spreader? #5  
Just remember to pull into the wind.

mark

/ Can my tractor pull this spreader?
Wind must always be taken into account here. Windiest county in Ohio!

I am looking at an old Farmall H for pulling it. Not sure I should consider a second tractor or try to pull it with mine?

/ Can my tractor pull this spreader? #7  
Your spreader looks about the same size as mine and I used to pull it with an old Ford 1700 using a drawbar. As soon as I rebuild it's engine, I'll be using it again. I've got a jack on mine but it's only to hold the hitch up so I can get the drawbar under it and pick it up....A bucket would work just as well.