brush hog stupid question ,say newbie !!

/ brush hog stupid question ,say newbie !! #1  

harry trattner

Bronze Member
hi everyone ,hope all is good out there in yanmar land ,I will be using my brush hog for the first time and what are the step by step (smart way ) to install the attachment to the tractor's 3 point and pto?I haven't done this before ,right now I have a box scraper on the 3 pionter and a fel .As for the operition setting the pto @1 and range @2 or 3 ,running the motor @2200,for wast high brush ,right? My yanmar is a 1610d(2wheel or 4 wd setting??) thanks for all your help on this web page ,have a nice thanksgiving I have to work at the fire station that day .Buy for now ,Harry:)

/ brush hog stupid question ,say newbie !! #2  
First thing get an overrunning clutch. I use a quick connect clutch. Attach the cutter to the 3pt hitch. Try to attach the pto shaft. If it is too long you will need to pull it appart and cut the same amount from each of the shafts. It needs to be a little too short because when the cutter is raised the distance from pto to drive box will decrease. Run lowest pto speed engineaat about 2200 rpm. Read the safety paperwork that came with your cutter before you cut. Keep all watchers at least 50 yards away pets included. Note tip speed of very heavy blade.

/ brush hog stupid question ,say newbie !! #3  
Here is what I do;
back the tractor up and drop the lift arms on the pins as close to alignment as I can without worrying too much about it,
shut off the tractor,
use a 4' 2x6 to nudge the cutter to align and slip the arms on the pins.
step over one arm and slip the cutter shaft onto the PTO shaft,
step back out and attach the upper arm.
The first time you will need to check your rear wheel height. Get on a level surface and use the 3 pt lift to set the front of the cutter at the height you want to cut.
Then check to see that the rear of the deck is slightly higher than the front. Adjust the wheel up or down if necessary.
Ready to go. Hookup time takes maybe two minutes.
Set my engine RPMs to PTO rated PTO speed as indicated on the tach,
Adjust my cutter front deck height to how high I want to cut the grass.
Adjust my ground speed according to how high the grass is,
and off I go.

/ brush hog stupid question ,say newbie !! #4  
Harry,
No stupid questions here.
It's all good advice so far. It might not be a bad idea to run your bush hog raised somewhat and go slower than usual on your first time through any unknown territory. Keep your rpm's up and govern your speed with the transmission. There is no telling what might be lurking in those waist high weeds. Ditches, wells, old car parts, etc. You wouldn't be the first one to discover an old engine block.

Bruce

/ brush hog stupid question ,say newbie !! #5  
I sometimes back into a really thick area I am trying to cut. That way there is less chance of hurting the tractor by running into some unseen object. Just back in a little and then pull up and look to see if there is anything in the way and then back into it some more.

/ brush hog stupid question ,say newbie !! #6  
As to the 2wd vs 4 wd question, I'd run it in 2 wd unless you're on really hilly country............if so, then be very carefull when traversing a hillside.........

/ brush hog stupid question ,say newbie !! #7  
Birdman said:
I sometimes back into a really thick area I am trying to cut. That way there is less chance of hurting the tractor by running into some unseen object. Just back in a little and then pull up and look to see if there is anything in the way and then back into it some more.

This is VERY good advice. I did just that last year in a 'new spot'. I don't know what made me back in, but I'm sure glad I did - I found a water pump and a mess of busted up pipes amongst some brush! We bought some more property next door and I'm just amazed at the kid of $%^ I'm finding cleaning it up.

-Brian