Oil & Fuel Intermittent oil psi

/ Intermittent oil psi #1  

jdj257

Tractor
yanmar ym2210B
Recently purchased a 165d, after a couple hours of use decided to change the oil and filter. Used rotella 15/40 and a fram filter(will be changing to wix). After running about 45 min lost oil psi replaced sending unit installed oil gauge still no psi did have a little flow over the valves. After studying diagram of lubrication system in owners manual I took filter off the filter and removed what I assume to be the oil pressure regulator(steel ball,spring and back adjusting nut) dismantled it cleaned and reinstalled it. Restarted engine and had oil psi. Next day went back out started tractor no oil psi repeated above procedure and got oil psi back. About 8 psi at idle and 35 at ~2500.
Called priior owner and asked whaty oil he used. He said he used delvac 15/40. Could switching of oil cause this problem? I know that in some diesel engines switching of oils can cause oil consumption for the first few oil changes. Had this happen on my powerstroke. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks
JDJ257
SEMPER FI

/ Intermittent oil psi #2  
I don't think changing oil brands caused this problem . Mabe lack of oil changes from previous owner/ owners has caused sludge to build up in the engine causing this problem.I don't know what an oil reg. looks like on a 165d but, next time you have it apart to clean , look for small oil passages that may be stopped up with sludge

/ Intermittent oil psi #3  
The real problem is that either the oil wasn't changed often enough or an incorrect oil was used allowing sludge to build up. When you changed the oil the detergents in the oil loosened the sludge.

/ Intermittent oil psi #4  
lens12 said:
The real problem is that either the oil wasn't changed often enough or an incorrect oil was used allowing sludge to build up. When you changed the oil the detergents in the oil loosened the sludge.

Yup, that's the reason, when detergent oils first came out in the 50's, we were always cautioned against using them in old engines.

/ Intermittent oil psi #5  
normde2001 said:
Yup, that's the reason, when detergent oils first came out in the 50's, we were always cautioned against using them in old engines.
I ruined a '50 Olds doing that. Nice looking car, and it cost only $50 due to a blown muffler and bad valve cover gaskets that leaked on the exhaust manifolds. With the massive clouds of smoke and loud exhaust, I thought it might be a jewel in the rough worth renovating.

The muffler was easy but that had concealed bad lifter racket. (early hydraulic lifters). And I found the valve covers packed solid with black Jello. I first tried engine flush additive, then kerosene added and run before an oil change, and finally Delo oil. Each step loosened more crud and made the lifters louder. I drove it 2 years until it had rod knocks - either due to clogged oil distribution, or maybe my driving style - this was the same model sold for Highway Patrol cruisers in that year and I ran it pretty hard for an old car. I wish I hadn't sold it - those are probably worth a lot of money today!

Note to the younger generation - when gas was cheap, a large 10 year old car with a couple of years life left was the most economical transportation you could buy due to no depreciation cost. That's not a rational strategy today.

/ Intermittent oil psi
I haad pulled the valve cover to look at the inside everything looked real good no sludge no deposits or varnish. I ran motor flush through the motor replaced filter and delco 15/40. So far no issues I hope that solved my problem. Thanks for alll the advice.

/ Intermittent oil psi #7  
You may be able to do a good engine clean with the 15w-40 ch4 heavy det. diesel oil. Run the engine for a while In hopes that some of the sludge dissolves. Make sure the oil is good & hot ,then change oil & filter.Changing the oil when the oil is hot removes alot of contaminates that are still suspended in the oil. If this doesn't get the sludge out of the oil passages. You may want to try a product called AUTO-RX . I have known people that have used this product & they say it worked for them. It would beat taking the engine apart for cleaning. Good luck

/ Intermittent oil psi
What is autorx?

/ Intermittent oil psi #9  
Here's their site Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner Like I mentioned,I know people that have used the product with very good results. There are some that say it's snake oil & they are intitled to their opinion. I haven't needed to use the product but, wouldn't hesitate to try it if I thought I needed it.

/ Intermittent oil psi #10  
kenmac said:
Here's their site Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner Like I mentioned,I know people that have used the product with very good results. There are some that say it's snake oil & they are intitled to their opinion. I haven't needed to use the product but, wouldn't hesitate to try it if I thought I needed it.

I believe I have used a similar product called "kerosene".