Hi from Australia

/ Hi from Australia #1  

bish_oz

Tractor
Yanmar YM1810d
Hi fellow Yanmarians,

Although I have only just registered, I’ve been eagerly reading the discussions in this forum since buying my first tractor a month ago, a YM1810D with 620 hrs on the clock, purchased locally for AUD$3800 (US$2990) which included a slasher (I think you guys call it a brush cutter?), a Yanmar rotary hoe, a single tine ripper and a rear bucket. It had been sitting in storage for a number of years and the guy I brought it from wanted to travel so he was selling his stuff.

As you can see from the photos, it has been rolled, so there’s some panel damage to the front and the radiator supports are a little bent. The engine seems in good condition, which starts on the first turn of the key and doesn’t blow smoke, and the power shift, pto and lift work fine.

Although I’m worried about getting parts down here in Oz, at least I was able to source oil, air and fuel filters reasonably cheaply which was the first thing I changed.

My next adventure is to fix the charging circuit (battery isn’t being charged). The alternator is providing around 22 VAC at 1500 rpm (both when the reg is plugged in or out). I’ve check the ground connection, fuses, wiring (as much as I can figure out). The charging warning light doesn’t come on at all, and I’ve check the bulb, and respective connections. I presume it must be the VR at fault.

Anyway I find this forum a great source of information and experience and apologise up front for any dumb questions I may ask in the near future :)

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• IMGP2470.JPG
    IMGP2470.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMGP2471.JPG
    IMGP2471.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMGP2472.JPG
    IMGP2472.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMGP2474.JPG
    IMGP2474.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 190
   / Hi from Australia #2  
Welcome to TBN! Love the big stupid grin you gave your tractor!

/ Hi from Australia #3  
Hi and welcome to TBN. You have a great avatar.

Ken

/ Hi from Australia #4  
The VR will be listed as a current limiter when you try to find one. They are one of the more common items to need replaced. Locally, in the US, some of the Yanmar importers have found generic replacements that are much cheaper than OEM.

/ Hi from Australia #5  
Welcome Ian.

Bruce

/ Hi from Australia #6  
Welcome Ian.
Little TLC and you'll have the old girl proud as a peacock....really no such thing as dumb question,soooo ask a way.

/ Hi from Australia #7  
Top of the mornin Ian::D

Now as Thomas says::D

really no such thing as dumb question,soooo ask a way

He forgot to let you know Most of Egon's answeres are dumb!:D

/ Hi from Australia #8  
I think you got a great deal even with the minor blemishes. It looks good compared to my Satoh which was rolled on 3 separate occasions. Welcome!

/ Hi from Australia #9  
Now that tractor has character. Wish it could talk, would like to hear how some of those scars happened. Welcome to the forum.

/ Hi from Australia
Thanks for all your replies. Yes I figured the avatar was going to get some laughs. It came about when I sent pictures of my new purchase to my parents, hoping to share some of my excitement (this is after my wife endured several hours of tractor talk and decided that she had heard enough!). My mum replied, 'the tractor doesn't look very happy'. Not happy?!? After some quick gfx editing, I replied, 'It's happy mum, look, see it's smiling'.

I tried the single tine ripper today, using it as a poor mans trencher. I needed a trench to lay an ag pipe for drainage and in most places it did well breaking up the soil except where it was very hard and I had wheel spin. I had a friend who said I’d need to wet the area before ripping it.

After reading a few posts on this forum regarding similar models to mine, I’m guessing that the alternator in the 1810d is the type that doesn’t have rectifying diodes (as they are in the VR??) and no field coil either (permanent magnet instead). There are only 2 wires coming from the alternator and they only have an AC component to them. Can anyone confirm this? (ok I’m hoping not to pull the alternator off and open it up)

I’ll be taking the reg (or limiter) which I suspect is at fault to an auto electrician this week, hopefully to find a compatible replacement. But after speaking with my neighbor who is a mechanic, he suggested that this type of alternator (one without diodes or field coils) and voltage regulator (one that has the rectifying diodes) is uncommon (in Australia anyway), and then said 'good luck'! He suggested I could always replace both the alternator and regulator to a more standard variety.

Bish