Missing Coolant?

/ Missing Coolant? #1  

okietractor

Tractor
Yanmar 1610 & Century C47L w/50 HL FEL
I have a Yanmar 1610 which I have owned for 2 years and really like. Recently I noticed a sweet smell while discing and it is apparently coolant. I have looked and can not find leaks. I had to add coolant and the next use I noticed an intermittent miss and the smell of coolant in the exhaust again. I shut down and checked the coolant level and it was down. Added and started and noticed liquid spray from the exhaust. It appears that coolant is escaping into the exhaust. I assume that it is a head gasket problem. There is no oil in my coolant and no coolant in my oil. Any thoughts? :confused:

/ Missing Coolant? #2  
It's time to order a head gasket and pull the head. It's apparently only leaking into the combustion chamber.

/ Missing Coolant?
Who is a good source for parts and tech info like torque specs for bolts?

/ Missing Coolant? #4  
okietractor said:
Who is a good source for parts and tech info like torque specs for bolts?

You can click on the "Dealers" tab at the top of of the window or click here.

Personal recommendation: I've purchased from both Little Miami Trading Company and Hoye Tractor and have been well pleased with the experiece of both. I'm sure either could advise you on the torque specs or point the way to documentation that would have what you need.

/ Missing Coolant? #5  
okietractor said:
I have a Yanmar 1610 which I have owned for 2 years and really like. Recently I noticed a sweet smell while discing and it is apparently coolant. I have looked and can not find leaks. I had to add coolant and the next use I noticed an intermittent miss and the smell of coolant in the exhaust again. I shut down and checked the coolant level and it was down. Added and started and noticed liquid spray from the exhaust. It appears that coolant is escaping into the exhaust. I assume that it is a head gasket problem. There is no oil in my coolant and no coolant in my oil. Any thoughts? :confused:

could be cracked head too - hope not. Mine was cracked - had oil/water mix coming out of exhaust, but didn't have oil in water or vis-versa. I had the head repaired... i don't know how they do that, but it works good now....

/ Missing Coolant? #6  
okietractor said:

could be cracked head too - hope not. Mine was cracked - had oil/water mix coming out of exhaust, but didn't have oil in water or vis-versa. I had the head repaired... i don't know how they do that, but it works good now....