Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Default Clones of Yanmar's small diesel utility engines

I was looking for Yanmar photos on Altavista Images and found several motorcycles re-powered with small Yanmar diesels. This seems to be an obscure corner of the european motorcycle scene.

But it appears that 'Yanmar diesel' has become generic like Xerox and Kleenex and the term now covers a wide range of engines, some built by Yanmar and more built in China as clones, or even clones of clones.

These experimenters' diesel motorcycles are fascinating. One author claims 160 mpg on biodiesel:
    "Ingredients: one stripped Royal-Enfield Bullet 500 motorcycle, add one 406cc, single cylinder, direct injection Yanmar L100 diesel engine (or chinese clone -> Kama KM186, Changfa, etc)." Riding on Salad Oil - lo speed hi fun -

That page was referenced from DieselBike.net - Diesel Motorcycles using Yanmar Engines where someone described his engine as a "Yanmar / Kama / Changfa / Yangke / Rotek".

No wonder Yanmar is emphatic in enforcing their trademark rights where they can.

Tractor
    YM 2000B, JD 110, cub cadet 109, cub cadet 70, cub cadet 100

Default Re: Clones of Yanmar's small diesel utility engines

I don't think I would care for one in a bike, but I have thought of trying one in an older JD110 or Cub Cadet garden tractor.

Bruce

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ym1300d-1401D-1601D , 1610D & Massey Ferguson 1020

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR
    I don't think I would care for one in a bike, but I have thought of trying one in an older JD110 or Cub Cadet garden tractor.

Bruce

Bruce, I just finished reading an entire thread on another forum, who did exactly that! It was a Stream Engine Chinese Yanmar Knock Off - single cylinder 6 HP diesel, “Shoe Horned” into an older JD garden tractor.. The pictures of the installation appeared to be an excellent replacement and so far, the owner has reported it operates perfectly.

Mark

Tractor
    YM 2000B, JD 110, cub cadet 109, cub cadet 70, cub cadet 100

Thanks Mark, MTF ?

Bruce

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ym1300d-1401D-1601D , 1610D & Massey Ferguson 1020

Yes, the thread title is "JD 112rf diesel"

I would like to have the smallest water-cooled Yanmar engine in a 3 or 4 wheeled open buggy for town, not highway use. There are several licensed electric, 30 mph golf carts here. 3 wheeled vehicles are licensed as motorcycles thus requiring less bumpers, emissions controls, etc.