YM 1700 water pump

/ YM 1700 water pump #1  

CarlC

Tractor
Yanmar 1700
Well I finally decided to bite the bullet and ordered a water pump kit from Hoye tractor. The 1700 does OK but I'm always watching the temp gauge I had put on.
Hopefully the new pump will keep the temp at 190 or below. Time wll tell. Any how I'm anxious to get it installed.

/ YM 1700 water pump #2  
Been thinking about getting a water pump for my YM1700.
What temp is your tractor running now?

/ YM 1700 water pump #3  
We have found that a new radiator (and of course proper coolant mix) will have more impact in most cases. Buy or borrow an infrared temperature gun. Work the tractor under load. Have someone shoot 4 spots towards each corner of the radiator. If one varies dramatically from the others (usually much cooler) that indicates poor or no circulation there. A new radiator makes a tremendous difference. Of course a new radiator is about 275 versus about 75 less for the water pump kit, but if the problem is reduced circulation in the radiator, the pump will only help a small amount and eventually you will still need a new radiator.

/ YM 1700 water pump #4  
I installed a water pump on my 1700 even after having the radiator recored due to a leak. It really brought the temperature to a comfortable level and didn't have to be watching it all the time. It's a mod I would strongly suggest.

/ YM 1700 water pump #5  
I put one on my 1700 last year before I traded it for my currnent NH 1720. Pre water pump my temps would hover in the 220 to 235 range. After the water pump they stayed in the 210 to 220 range. Just keep in mind that with a 14 psi radiator cap your're ok up to 235. That's when the idiot light comes on. I think that the boiling point of water is around 245 or so at 14 psi. Well worth the price and Hoye is great to work with.

/ YM 1700 water pump
meisal said:
Been thinking about getting a water pump for my YM1700.
What temp is your tractor running now?
When I'm working it pretty hard it wll climb to 220 pretty fast. When it gets there I stop what I'm doing and let it cool down a bit. I use a 30% antifreeze mix and keep the screen clean. It had a new radiator when I bought it. I use a 4 ft bush hog, 5 ft box blade, and 5 ft mower deck on it. If the weeds are up so is the temp :)

/ YM 1700 water pump #7  
That's what mine will run during the hottest part of summer in Louisiana.
This time of the year it stays around 170 - 180.
Mine has the original radiator. I haven't even taken the time to flush it out and redo the antifreeze.
I'm going to do that first and see what happens.

The temp gauge is a must.

Hope you post your results after the pump is on.

/ YM 1700 water pump
I got the water pump on this morning. Not to bad of a job. It's about 87 degrees here. I just moved 4 yards of sand clay with a 5 foot box blade. Temp ran about 140 - 150 degrees.
i'm a happy camper :)

/ YM 1700 water pump
Well yesterday I mounted a 5 foot finishing mower to my YM1700 and headed out to a 2 acre field with field grass knee high. Usually I cut this with my bush hog and old Ford 8N. The 1700 went right thru it. The temp never went above 140 degrees. I tried this before I put the water pump on and didn't get anywhere before heating up. I did have the mower set high and didn't try to cut fast. Bottom line is it didn't heat up at all. I've got 3 acres to do next that isn't high. I expect to be able to run right thru it. For me the water pump was definitely the answer.