Can a Yanmar compare....

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #1  

Lions_TX

Tractor
Craftman 17hp 42" cut lawn tractor
To a John Deere? To a Kubota? To a FarmPro? To a Mahindra?

Here is my dillema... I see Yanmar advertised as priced "thousands (of dollars) below other tractors and i am curious as to how accurate that is.

For example: I seen a Mahindra 26hp, front wheel assist, hst, with FEL with 40 hours on it. The list price new was approx. 18,000, it was for sale for 12,500. A saveings of over 5000 bucks or over 1/4 of the original price. I would imagine that, that price would continue to drop as more hours were put on the machine.

OK so a brand new Mahindra 20hp, with loader cost approx. 11,500 with a 3 year warranty. Using the same formula as the larger machine, by time it has some hours on it, it will only be worth about 8,000. A comprible Yanmar with ??? hours on it presently goes for approx. the same and it does not have the pto shield or ROPS and minimal if any warranty.

So, my question is this, are Yanmar tractors that good that they hold such a high resale value even though they have high or unknown hours on them? With such high resale value can they really be compared to a Deere?

When i had first began looking for a tractor, i had seriously thought that Yanmar was the way to go for me, at this point i am not so sure.

Here is another example: A 2wd small Yanmar with no pto shield, nor ROPS, sells for approx. 3000 with a short limited warranty. A brand new comprible FarmPro with the shield and ROPS and a 30 month warranty sells for approx. 4000, thats brand new everything from the bottom of the tires to the top of the exaust stack, to me the extended warranty with all new parts is well worth the extra 1000, not to mention that the ROPS is worth that. So is Yanmar that good that it is worth more then a brand new machine with such a warranty and safety equiptment? How can such be marketed as "thousands less"? One with common understanding should be able to see that "upgrading" the safety features would make a used machine more then a brand new one, and it is still short the warranty period.

I'm really confused why these tractors are worth so much? Why do other tractors loose such value after so many hours but a Yanmar that is starting with so many hours is worth so much?

Do Yanmar hold their resale value that good? Like if i buy a rebuilt Yanmar and put 80-100 hours (about 2 hours a week) on it in a year, how much is that going to devalue the tractor considering it has hundreds if not thousands of hours on it to begin with?

Now before any one confuses my concern with bashing i would like to make it perfectly clear that i am considering a major purchase. The cost of a 8000.-12,000. tractor buys alot of Toyota truck that i am very sure will hold its value. It can also buy me a very solid used tractor from several other brand names and again i am pretty sure it will hold its "used" value. I just want to know what is so special about them that they command such high prices? Is a 20 year old Yanmar really worth the same as 10 year old Kubota? Is it really worth the same as a brand new FarmPro? Is it really fair to compare price differences to a name like Deere?

Here is another issue of concern, it is my understanding that in the places these tractors are originally used they are used under a co-op system. I could well imagine that if i had to share my tractor with a bunch of my neighbors, we would have no problem turning the 3 digit hour meter over in a year, defently in 2 years. That is why i say unknown hours.

If any one can shed some light on these concerns/issues i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...
Lions

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #2  
You gotta go back and read a lot of old posts here to get the whole picture. Here's part of it -

Yanmar quality really is that good. Just as good as Toyota in cars, where a 6 year old Toyota is worth more than a 3 year old Taurus. (And I think Kubota is as good as Yanmar only the marketing is different.)

The Chinese tractors just aren't comparable according to dealers here who have sold both. Somebody once quoted a Chinese designer saying the lowest cost ones, the ones you are comparing, are purpose-built for American weekend gardeners and were never designed to compete in heavy work.

Comparison to Deere: 30 years ago Deere watched Yanmar (along with Kubota) enter the US small-tractor market and realized they didn't have a product to compete. So they contracted Yanmar to build their compact tractors for them and labelled them Deeres. Comparing a Yanmar to a Deere is really a Yanmar/Yanmar comparison until you get up to the recent models where Yanmar provides only a couple of models. Deere continues to put Yanmar engines in many smaller models. I hope this answers the 'quality compared to Deere' question.

There are a couple kinds of Yanmars available. The first is simply used tractors imported in good condition, reconditioned by replacing the seat, maybe the muffler, and fixing a couple of minor neglected items. They may have a few scratches on them, no big deal. There are good dealers posting here who sell these. These continue Yanmar's well earned reputation.

The next category is the Vietnam rebuilts. These have about a man-month of labor in them and the appearance is invariably immaculate. If you need to impress the new neighbors or your riding-stable customers these might be the first thing you consider. However - the real quality as a working tractor can be simply unknown. Many posters here have won the gamble and have excellent and gorgeous VN rebuilts. A few have posted endlessly about endless problems - clear down to Yanmar logos on a non-Yanmar machine that nobody can identify. If you have the experience to size up the quality of the individual tractor you might buy, these can be an excellent value. Not a good choice for a sight-unseen ebay auction!

There's a third category, nearly impossible to find: Yanmar had dealers here 30 years ago and there are real American-version Yanmars around. This is what I have. (Unreconditioned, and looks it!) But these are rare. I think the gray-market Yanmars here now must outnumber them by some large multiple - maybe 100:1??

One last thought. A 20 year old Yanmar may be fairly priced by comparison to a new Mahindra etc, but there are advantages and disadvantages to buying new. The older Yanmars are intentionally simple and can probably be kept running for many years similar to the old American tractors. On the other hand modern technology needs specialized diagnostic tools and contains parts, for example computer circuits, that you simply have to obtain from the factory. If you earn your living with it, buying new and having a dealer who will come out for service calls may make sense. If this will be one of several tractors owned or it is non-critical hobby use then choosing a Yanmar for its lower purchase and maintenance costs may allow more tractor for the dollar.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #3  
Gosh guys, I only read the first 1" or 2 of a post. Yanmar and new FarmPro, (Chinese), have always been considered about equally priced, a matter of preference. You are speculating on non-existent Mahindras. You would have to show me a dozen or so of those tractors at those prices, and where to get parts for them.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #4  
Lions_TX said:
To a John Deere? To a Kubota? To a FarmPro? To a Mahindra?

Here is my dillema... I see Yanmar advertised as priced "thousands (of dollars) below other tractors and i am curious as to how accurate that is.

For example: I seen a Mahindra 26hp, front wheel assist, hst, with FEL with 40 hours on it. The list price new was approx. 18,000, it was for sale for 12,500. A saveings of over 5000 bucks or over 1/4 of the original price. I would imagine that, that price would continue to drop as more hours were put on the machine.

OK so a brand new Mahindra 20hp, with loader cost approx. 11,500 with a 3 year warranty. Using the same formula as the larger machine, by time it has some hours on it, it will only be worth about 8,000. A comprible Yanmar with ??? hours on it presently goes for approx. the same and it does not have the pto shield or ROPS and minimal if any warranty.

So, my question is this, are Yanmar tractors that good that they hold such a high resale value even though they have high or unknown hours on them? With such high resale value can they really be compared to a Deere?

When i had first began looking for a tractor, i had seriously thought that Yanmar was the way to go for me, at this point i am not so sure.

Here is another example: A 2wd small Yanmar with no pto shield, nor ROPS, sells for approx. 3000 with a short limited warranty. A brand new comprible FarmPro with the shield and ROPS and a 30 month warranty sells for approx. 4000, thats brand new everything from the bottom of the tires to the top of the exaust stack, to me the extended warranty with all new parts is well worth the extra 1000, not to mention that the ROPS is worth that. So is Yanmar that good that it is worth more then a brand new machine with such a warranty and safety equiptment? How can such be marketed as "thousands less"? One with common understanding should be able to see that "upgrading" the safety features would make a used machine more then a brand new one, and it is still short the warranty period.

I'm really confused why these tractors are worth so much? Why do other tractors loose such value after so many hours but a Yanmar that is starting with so many hours is worth so much?

Do Yanmar hold their resale value that good? Like if i buy a rebuilt Yanmar and put 80-100 hours (about 2 hours a week) on it in a year, how much is that going to devalue the tractor considering it has hundreds if not thousands of hours on it to begin with?

Now before any one confuses my concern with bashing i would like to make it perfectly clear that i am considering a major purchase. The cost of a 8000.-12,000. tractor buys alot of Toyota truck that i am very sure will hold its value. It can also buy me a very solid used tractor from several other brand names and again i am pretty sure it will hold its "used" value. I just want to know what is so special about them that they command such high prices? Is a 20 year old Yanmar really worth the same as 10 year old Kubota? Is it really worth the same as a brand new FarmPro? Is it really fair to compare price differences to a name like Deere?

Here is another issue of concern, it is my understanding that in the places these tractors are originally used they are used under a co-op system. I could well imagine that if i had to share my tractor with a bunch of my neighbors, we would have no problem turning the 3 digit hour meter over in a year, defently in 2 years. That is why i say unknown hours.

If any one can shed some light on these concerns/issues i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...
Lions

If you buy a Yanmar from a dealer that sells UTDA certified tractors it will have ROPS, PTO sheild, over run clutch, and a warranty. I sold Farmpro/Jinma for about a year but had too many problems with them. I would not buy a JD with Yanmar engine at this time because of parts problems. JD either won't or can't buy parts from Yanmar, ( at least thats what I've been told ) and Yanmar Parts dealers can no longer order JD parts from Yanmar. I have customers right now with JD tractors with yanmar engines that need parts and can't find them.

Danny

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #5  
I know I shouldn't do this .............A chinese or a yanmar :confused: :confused: :confused: :D :D

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #6  
kenmac said:
I know I shouldn't do this .............A chinese or a yanmar :confused: :confused: :confused: :D :D

Really. Kind of like the choice between, oh, say being beaten with a blunt instrument or eating a gourmet meal .

The JD parts issue is not widely known, but we are hearing the same kinds of things it sounds like Danny is hearing. I've heard it from another dealer as well, so I'd say where there's smoke..........well, you know.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #7  
I owned a YM 1700 for 14 years mostly running a 5' finish mower. I purchased the unit with 667 hours on it. When I traded it in she had over 1250 hours on it. In the 14 years of ownership I bought 2 new front tires, changed out the seat, and performed regular service on the tractor. Needless to say I am a BIG FAN OF YANMARS. Mine was absolutely bulletproof.

Now the key to that tractor was that I purchased her from a reputable dealer that only dealt in Grade A units from Japan. The tractor had a fresh coat of paint and all fluids changed out from the dealer when I got her. I have no doubt that the 667 hours showing on the meter was accurate eventhough the YM 1700 was a 1975 model.

So, in essence, if you can get a reputable dealer to sell you a Yanmar that is a good unit then you will have absolutely zero issues with her. No offense to folks that own Chineese tractors. I still feel that a good used Yanmar is a better value than a new Chineese unit.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #8  
Lions_TX,
I live in East Texas and purchased my YM2000B from a direct importer just over the border in OK. I have no reputable dealers near me, but am actually close to some major "reconditioned" dealers. Mine was an A or B+ grade machine showing 462 hours on the meter. The YM "B" series have 4 digit hour meters and I have no doubt that it reads correctly. All parts were numbered to the tractors when they were removed for shipping so everything got put back where it belonged. I have put a little over 100 hours on it in the past year, mostly bush hogging and gradeing with a 6 foot blade. Only thing it has cost is an over-run clutch and regular maintainance. As far as re-sale value, I would say that it is worth at least $1000 more at this time than the $2400 I gave for it.

Bruce

/ Can a Yanmar compare....
normde2001 said:
You are speculating on non-existent Mahindras. You would have to show me a dozen or so of those tractors at those prices, and where to get parts for them.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? The prices and models i used as examples were from the local Mahindra dealer, he had dozens of them on the lot and several dealerships in the state. Mahindra is one of the more common brands around me actually, kinda having a hard time finding a local dealer that carries compact tractors besides JD. As far as parts, the dealer has the full parts manuals and from what i understand Mahindra has been making tractors for decades so what are you saying?

Lions

/ Can a Yanmar compare....
California said:
You gotta go back and read a lot of old posts here to get the whole picture. Here's part of it -... ...If this will be one of several tractors owned or it is non-critical hobby use then choosing a Yanmar for its lower purchase and maintenance costs may allow more tractor for the dollar.

Ok so first of all, are you saying a Yanmar is a JD with red paint?

Its my first tractor and it will be used for a comercial hobby, i say hobby as i am presently not making money at what i do but plan to within another 2 years once i am able to meet the organic qualifications. So it is pretty important that i get a solid running machine.

I did take your advise and began to look back through the 15 trillion "old post". Here is what i got so far:
As with all tractors there are good dealers and bad. Some sware by rebuilds, others cringe at the very word. No matter what i buy i have to look at it like i am buying a used machine and need to anticipate at very least minor repairs in addition to routine maintenance. Some models are more difficult to get parts for. Not all tractors are what they first appear to be. I should be prepared to have parts that dont belong, ie., mismatched parts. There appears to be some division among the dealers/importers/merchants, in reguards to what is "right and wrong". There presently does not seem to be a central universal distribution system. Oh and most importantly, some post are not worth responding to...

Are those the types of things you were thinking when ya told me to search the old post?

If you could point out a few post you think may be important that would certainly help speed the searching process on my end.

Thanks... Lions