YM 1700 Temp Light

/ YM 1700 Temp Light #1  

HLP

Tractor
YM 1700
Using a tip found on this web sight, I tried to check the temp light on my tractor. I tried to run the wire to ground but the light did not come on. To make sure that I am grounding the right device, the temperature sensor is located on the top of the engine block on the radiator side of the air filter, right?

/ YM 1700 Temp Light #2  
Make sure your ignition switch is turned on.

/ YM 1700 Temp Light #3  
The sensor is on top of what would be a water pump housing if the 1700 had a pump. Key on...there has to be current in the wire.

/ YM 1700 Temp Light
I used a jumper and ran the wire to ground on the frame and the light did not come on. I did have the key turned on. Any more suggestions?
Thank you.

/ YM 1700 Temp Light #5  
HLP said:
I used a jumper and ran the wire to ground on the frame and the light did not come on. I did have the key turned on. Any more suggestions?
Thank you.

Check fuse and then bulb.

Danny

/ YM 1700 Temp Light #6  
Do the other lights work? There is a single 12 volt supply that feeds all three.

If the temp light won't light when its sensor wire is grounded, then the sensor wire isn't continuous from the sensor to the bulb, the bulb is bad, or the bulb socket is bad.

To test the bulb, swap it with the oil pressure bulb temporarily.

There's a photo of the socket assembly I had to replace, in this old post. Maybe yours has similar damage:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/71648-ym3110-oil-filter-dash-lights.html#post797615

/ YM 1700 Temp Light
1danny, I did not see a fuse just a terminal strip under the dash.

California, I will remove teh assembly and check the bulb tomorrow.

Anyone know what the bulb # is just in case it is bad? Can you get one at an auto parts store?

/ YM 1700 Temp Light #8  
I think this is correct. The wire going to the bulb should be hot when the switch is turned on. The other wire off the light goes to the temp. sensor. When the engine gets hot the sensor grounds out & makes a path to ground for the bulb through the wire.If you don't have a hot wire to the bulb, the light will not come on even if you direct ground the other wire