Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what?

/ Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
The other day I went to install my tiller. When I pulled the lower lift the pin came right with it! The pin's threads are damaged, but it's pretty obvious that the threads into the iron housing are gone. I could heli-coil the threads, but I don't have a drill bit nearly this large, nor do I have the huge drill needed to turn it. Has anybody seen this problem before? How was it repaired? It looks like there might be a steel insert into the cast iron housing. I presume, that this insert is not replaceable?

BTW-this is on a 1110 tractor.

/ Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what? #2  
"I could heli-coil the threads, but I don't have a drill bit nearly this large"

Is it a matter of money, or what:rolleyes: ?
Actually, that happened on my YM2000B. I found that with the nut removed, the pin would screw in about 1/4" further into new threads. I ground the nut thinner, slathered the hole with JB Weld, screwed it in and tightened the nut. Been working fine for about 4 years. I painted the nut, pin and housing with a strip of white paint so I can tell at a glance if it is loosening.

Last edited:
   / Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what? #3  
Sounds like a key locking insert. One brand is Keensert. If it is they can be replaced. Where to get metric one's I don't know. big dan

/ Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what?
Well, a 7/8" NF heli-coil kit contains 5 coils, the setting tool and tap. I need to supply the drill bit. The kit is $164 and the drill is a odd 57/64" which will cost me another $30. The pin size is nearly identical to the standard 7/8" class 1 lower pin, but the threads are metric vs 7/8" NF. I'm a bit nervous about the JB weld as there is very little thread left in the bore.

/ Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what? #5  
Due to the specialized tools, this sounds like a project for one of those 'we come to you' diesel machanics. Sometimes DIY isn't the right answer and you just have to pay what it costs to get it done right. I hope you can find someone who has reset a cat 1 pin before.

/ Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what? #6  
California said:
Due to the specialized tools, this sounds like a project for one of those 'we come to you' diesel machanics. Sometimes DIY isn't the right answer and you just have to pay what it costs to get it done right. I hope you can find someone who has reset a cat 1 pin before.

By the way, California, I did find out that Hoye can get the optional lower lift arm pin kit, (in the YM240 parts book), that supports the pin from both ends, in case my repair didn't work. Keep those lower arm bushings greased, even though they are a little hard to get to. Mine seized and loosened the pin.

/ Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what? #7  
these arms must be alot different than the ones on my 3110.:confused: I looked at my tractor to try & figure out what he was talking about but, mine looks like nothing he is describing

/ Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what?
The lower lift arms on my tractor are threaded into the cast iron transmission housing. This is just below the axle. Most tractors have this installation, but I've never seen one strip out before. My luck!

/ Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what? #9  
kenmac said:
these arms must be alot different than the ones on my 3110.:confused: I looked at my tractor to try & figure out what he was talking about but, mine looks like nothing he is describing

Here's what it looks like on my YM2000B. Nut # 59 loosened, allowing pin # 41 to back out, marring the threads in the housing. The LH lower lift arm swings on pin # 41.

/ Lower lift arm pin stripped - now what? #10  
I see what ya"ll been talking about . That looks nothing like my 3110.