Larger CCA battery

/ Larger CCA battery #1  

gb19711

Tractor
JD110 RF, JD110 SF, JD208, Yanmar YM2210D
When I first purchased my tractor (YM 2210D) last year it came with a 650 CCA battery. It cranked over alright but it didn't appear to attain high enough RPMs to enable quick starting with the diesel. Initial starting usually took several minutes. I recently installed a higher CCA battery (900) and now it cranks right up. Any harm or potential harm (electrical system, etc.) making the switch to the bigger battery?

/ Larger CCA battery #2  
No, use the biggest cca battery that will fit in the space.

/ Larger CCA battery #3  
No problem using the larger battery but I suspect there was more in play than the diff between 650 & 900 CCA. I bet the battery in my tractor isn't any more than 650 CCA, it cranks quickly and starts within a few sec even when engine is cold.

/ Larger CCA battery
Thanks for the response Norm and Mickey. It's the largest battery shell that will fit in the space. I foresee some engine work in the future but for now I'm satisfied!:D

/ Larger CCA battery #5  
I think you starter will last a lot longer with the bigger battery. Less use, last longer.

/ Larger CCA battery #6  
gb19711 said:
I recently installed a higher CCA battery (900)...
I'm running the battery that came new in my '99 Subaru, 550 CCA. I think its Group 35. Just to be safe I put the float charger on it when it will be idle for a couple of weeks. I should replace it before it starts giving me trouble.

For the next battery, I would like one that I don't have to fuss with. What series, and CCA, should be in there?

/ Larger CCA battery
California - I simply measured my tractor's battery space and went to the battery catalog (at Costco) and compared my dimensions to their measurement sheet. I narrowed it down to a couple batteries that would fit and then chose the one with the highest CCA. In hindsight I would get one a bit narrower (front to back) to allow more space for the hood when it's open - so it doesn't hit or rest against it!! I put a narrow block of wood in front of mine to act as a "cushion".

/ Larger CCA battery #8  
Group 30 is the largest that will fit in most configurations, though group 27 tends to be more available. Neither is in common automotive use anymore, but in most brands they are app. 1000 and 850+ CCA, with lots of reserve capacity.

/ Larger CCA battery #9  
gb19711 said:
California - I simply measured my tractor's battery space and went to the battery catalog (at Costco) and compared my dimensions to their measurement sheet. I narrowed it down to a couple batteries that would fit and then chose the one with the highest CCA. In hindsight I would get one a bit narrower (front to back) to allow more space for the hood when it's open - so it doesn't hit or rest against it!! I put a narrow block of wood in front of mine to act as a "cushion".

I just got a new batt from costco myself - did the same thing too. Got the highest CCA that would also fit. amd put a board in front to fill the void. I could tell the difference in starting - motor turns over faster = starts easier in cooler weather...

I think series 27 fits just right, but not that common anymore...

Last edited:
   / Larger CCA battery #10  
California said:
I'm running the battery that came new in my '99 Subaru, 550 CCA. I think its Group 35. Just to be safe I put the float charger on it when it will be idle for a couple of weeks. I should replace it before it starts giving me trouble.
Should follow my own advice. :p

I left it 2+ weeks behind the barn without the trickle charger. That killed this 8 year old battery, which has been trouble free until now. I had to string a 100 ft extension cord out there to charge it enough to start. Now even after a long charge it won't keep cranking if it doesn't fire on the first revolution. I cleaned the terminals; no improvement.

I'm going looking for a group 27 battery.

Has anyone had a good experience with the HF solar charger, the one about the size of a license plate?