Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Branson 3520R

Default Broken Branson

My Branson 3520R 4WD went out yesterday. The tractor has 25 hours on it. Anyone have any ideas what I could check before hauling it 100 miles to the dealership? I crawled under it, and removed the shaft housing, and the shaft seems to be tight and intact. The oil level is full in the front axle and transmission.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Branson 4720 with loader and backhoe

Default Re: Broken Branson

Holy smokes, you just got the tractor! Warranty better cover the repairs, if any are needed. I probably would not have turned a wrench at all, just done some simple function checks.

Something I might do is (with 4wd engaged, tractor sitting) lift the front tires off the ground (loader works well for that) and try to rotate the tires by hand (other side tire should rotate opposite direction), to check for differential function and unusual noises. If that seems normal, see if you can rotate the front drive shaft by hand without the front tires turning. BE VERY CAREFUL - DO THAT TEST WITH FRONT END UP ON BLOCKS AND ENGINE OFF. Any more than that should be the dealer's problem to deal with under warranty. Good luck and I hope some more experienced folks chime in soon.

Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

I'd be looking at the 4x4 shifting linkage to see if a pin came out.
    "When selling a lifetime ... don't sell it short"
    auctioneer@southernauctionco.com

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Is your 4WD mechanical of electric engage on the 3520? If mechanical does it feel like the shift lever is doing anything? On all of the mechanical engaged 4WD tractors I have owned you could always feel the gears moving or some resistance on the lever. If electrical I would check for a blown fuse or power at the switch.
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

if it's in warranty.. I'd do nothing.

if it's outta warranty.. I'd verify the shaft turns when it is engaged. if it does.. then I'd look at front ring gear and then axle shafts.. only takes a set of bad rivits or one snapped shaft in an open diffy to make it freewheel.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Is the 4WD lever still attached and does it feel like it is doing anything?
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Tractor
    Branson 3520R

Yes its still attached and feels like its working. I lifted the tires off the ground and spun one wheel. The other tire spun in an opposite direction. I put jack stands under the front axle and removed the shaft housing. The shaft spun freely with the MFWD disengaged. When the MFWD was engaged, the shaft was locked, with just a little free play, but would not turn the front wheels-not by hand anyway. Didn't want to use a pipe wrench on the shaft.

Tractor
    Branson 3520R

I lifted the tires off the ground and spun one wheel. The other tire spun in an opposite direction. I put jack stands under the front axle and removed the shaft housing. The shaft spun freely with the MFWD disengaged. When the MFWD was engaged, the shaft was locked, with just a little free play, but would not turn the front wheels-not by hand anyway. Didn't want to use a pipe wrench on the shaft.

The shifter is mechanical, and seems to be engaging properly. Guess I'll be making a trip to San Marcus this week.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

so far the front diffy sounds like it is working.

keep us posted..

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by Tchara View Post
    Yes its still attached and feels like its working. I lifted the tires off the ground and spun one wheel. The other tire spun in an opposite direction. I put jack stands under the front axle and removed the shaft housing. The shaft spun freely with the MFWD disengaged. When the MFWD was engaged, the shaft was locked, with just a little free play, but would not turn the front wheels-not by hand anyway. Didn't want to use a pipe wrench on the shaft.
    With the rear wheels on the ground the shaft may not turn depending on what is broke.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast