Anone have a Zetor Zebra

/ Anone have a Zetor Zebra #1  

Mudfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3005, Kubota B2710, Kubota B2650 (sold the ford 1700 and kubota B7100)
I'm interested in finding an articulated CUT. Zetor Zebra 2040 has come up. Anyone have one or familiar with it? What are they worth?
Mf

/ Anone have a Zetor Zebra #2  
The 2040 is kind of the red-headed stepchild of Zetor. Only offered in 1995, it was a US version of a Czech model TZ4K14, or so I'm told as all of the images I've seen of the TZ only remotely resemble the 2040. It's more similar to the W4000 Farmer offered by Wisconsin Engineering and available thru it's US distributor, Badger Power Equipment, but the W4000 has a different engine giving it greater HP. The original MSRP of a 2040 was $8500.

I suspect as it was air-cooled, it couldn't meet EPA specs.

Kwik-way used to offer a FEL for the 2040, but I heard it from a Zetor dealer at least 14 years ago they had discontinued the model, and sold all remaining stock to a dealer in Pa. My input on this tractor (based upon a couple of 5-10 min test drives around that same dealer's lot, again quite some time ago):
Very agile and maneurverable, despite lack of power steering (although the dealer did mention a Char-Lynn add-on unit was available)

Engine felt like it had torque to spare; probably a little under-rated at 20hp

Would have prefered a 9-3 transmission, instead of 6-3, and a live PTO instead of tranny driven, but overall a nice little machine that would have worked well for my needs. (The CFO nixed the idea!)

One oddity about the tranny-driven PTO is that it would turn in reverse when the tractor was driven in reverse.

I've only come across two used units since then, and both were around $5000 asking price, although the last one was maybe 4-5 years ago. Probably means that not many were sold in the US, and the one's that were are being held onto by their owners. One was only used to care for a large estate and the other was used breifly by a tree nursery.

The former machine's owner really liked the tractor, but decided he really didn't need something that large/capable to mow his yard (handled a 6' finshing mower without knowing it was back there).

The second tractor's owner bought it to handle a 3-pt mounted sprayer and mower for his fir tree business. He liked it on the sprayer (3-pt would lift more than the front end of the tractor could keep on the ground), but didn't like how small front end movements/steering corrections were tranmitted to, and it seemed to him amplified by, the mower, thereby resulting in the edge of the mower frequently hitting tree trunks.

On both occasions, I just couldn't present a good enough argument to justify the expense to the CFO. Guess I gotta work on that...

Possible helpful links:
W4000 Farmer :: WISCONSIN Engineering - Utility Tractors, Lawn Tractors and Snow Equipment
Multi-purpose compact tractor wi
TZ-4-K14 - Google Search

/ Anone have a Zetor Zebra #3  
Another option, although it would be more $$, to the 2040 might be a Goldoni Base 20. I know these are available in the US, although dealer network is probably smaller than Zetor(?). JD has begun rebadging some Goldoni models, the Base 20 being one of them (now called the 20A), for sale in the US. I'm disappointed they didn't rebadge the whole Goldoni articulated line.

I did a butt test only, no demo, on a 20A at my local JD dealer about 2 months ago. Dispite the years between stting on them, the 20A is physically quite a bit smaller vs the 2040. For me, that translates into tighter operator platform and increased difficulty getting on and off.

I suppose a big plus for the 20A would be JD's dealer network.

GOLDONI S.p.A. - Tecnologia per passione - PRODOTTI
John Deere Ag - New Equipment Features for 20A Nursery and Greenhouse Tractor (21 hp)

/ Anone have a Zetor Zebra
Thanks dbear - very useful information. I see you have an interest in these things that has never been consummated (i've seen your other posts in other forums). I share that interest having seen an articulated Ferrari at the Puyallip Fair (Western Washington State Fair) for the first time in 1980. I thought it was such a great machine that my second tractor would be one. Some thirty years later my third tractor still is not articulated:confused:. That type of machine would be so good on my tree farms hillsides.
Mf

/ Anone have a Zetor Zebra #5  
Oh, yeah, I think the little artics are interesting beasts. They're sort of an oddity, and I, being considered by many to be quite odd myself, figured we'd get along pretty good together.

Back when I was testing the tractor ownership waters more seriously, I was thinking about planting a good-sized plot of strawberries (father-in-law loved strawberries, and was a big part behind the concept), and figured a 2040 would be pretty sweet for that. At that time, where else could you buy as capable a 4wd CUT with the same maneuverability for $8500? Well, FIL passed not too long after that, coupled with other life changes, and the berry farm idea sort of faded away.

'Tho, I still think it'd be cool having at least one of those bad boys to tinker around with.

/ Anone have a Zetor Zebra #6  
This is the first thing that I have ever written on Tractorbynet. I am interested in a Zetor Zebra 2040. I know that they are 20 years old but I would consider purchasing one for use on my timber farm in Northern SC. Does anyone have any info about finding one? I checked into the W-4000 Farmer Tractor that is a new version of this tractor but have not found any dealers in the USA. Any information would be appreciated.

/ Anone have a Zetor Zebra #7  
Hi,

You can contact the nearest ZETOR dealer. Find him on web site : Zetor North America - Dealer Locator.

Development.jpg

Milan.