Should I sell my Zetor and buy a Massey??

/ Should I sell my Zetor and buy a Massey?? #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
Well, that's a question you won't see to often but, my wife says I should "ask those TBN experts I keep talking about" so here is the story.

My neighbour is likely going to sell his 1984 Massey Ferguson 250 Orchard Model in the next few weeks and he is giving me first shot at it. He still has not established a price but I have been scurrying around the web and talking to local dealers and it seems with loader, ROPS, and low hours (under 700) the price range falls somewhere in the $10,000 to $14,500 Cdn (that is about $7,000 to $9,200 US). The tractor has been well cared for and he bought it new.

I currently have a 1985 Zetor 5245 with 4WD, a Hardy 50 loader and about 1,800 hours - I bought it new and it has served me well. New clutch last winter. According to the Machinery Link web site it is worth somewhere around ($7,000 to $8,000 Cdn plus the loader - maybe another $3,000).

I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of MF250 versus Zetor 5245 and am coming down on the side of the Massey because
1 - it is smaller and more manouverable in the woods
2 - there are three dealers (2 that I like) within an hour of home for parts etc.
3 - it appears easier to work on with a lot more after market parts available.

I also still have to decide however, whether I will be satisfied with 2WD and chains versus 4WD.

Ok, now the question - If you were in my shoes, would you try to sell the Zetor and buy the Massey or, would you just keep the Zetor. Why?

Thanks for providing the "voices of reason", "chamber of sober second thought", "a sounding board".

I look forward to your insights.

Bob

/ Should I sell my Zetor and buy a Massey?? #2  
Ah.....the proverbial should I or should'nt I,eh Bob?

Well if it was me,for my needs I'd keep the Zetor. You just can not beat mfd,especially with a loader! That front axle will pull you through instead of just plowing straight ahead on slick turns! Once you give up mfd,you'll never be the same again!!

Just how tight is your bush?

/ Should I sell my Zetor and buy a Massey?? #3  
I agree with woodbeef, you will not be satisfied with 2 wheel drive after using 4x4. There are several Zetor dealers on the internet that should be more than willing to supply any future parts support you may need. Around here the Local dealers are likable however, they are usually want to go too deep into my pocket book.

/ Should I sell my Zetor and buy a Massey?? #4  
Personally, I am not a Zetor fan. However, if the tractor has served you well and you do not see any significant future problems, I would keep the Zetor. MFWD and loader is very useful combination. If you buy the massey, finding a cheap loader maybe difficult. You are currently averaging slightly over 100 hours a year which isn't much. With care, the Zetor will still last you a long time - if it still suits your needs,

/ Should I sell my Zetor and buy a Massey?? #5  
Re: Should I sell my Zetor and buy a Massey?? - NO

Well…from where I sit, I see you taking a couple steps backwards… /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

You want to go from a 42 ½ PTO hp, MFWD, mid ‘80’s tractor (that was still in production to the late ‘90’s), lots of hefty cast iron castings (trademark of Zetor), better hydraulics, etc…

To a: 40 ½ PTO hp, 2 –wd, mid ‘80’s tractor (that was made for about 3 or 4 years), weak hydraulics (trademark of MF 200 series), etc…

So unless your Zetor is giving you grieve (some hard to start)… I’d keep what you have and possibly look to pick up a MF at an auction for ~~$3-4k and use both. If you need something narrower to pass your trails… then get that brush hog a working on the back of the Zetor and make it wider…/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Should I sell my Zetor and buy a Massey??
Re: Should I sell my Zetor and buy a Massey?? - NO

Infatuation is a terrible thing! Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful comments and opinions. They manged to provide a lot more objectivity that I had trying to make this decision. In my earlier searching I was really looking for a Ferguson 35 or a MF 35 to replace my Ferguson 2085 and give me live PTO for bush hogging. When the MF250 dropped into my lap for consideration I was smitten by its excellent condition, low hours and Perkins diesel and I initially lost site of my original reason for looking at another tractor. Your collective comments and wisdom have given me an objective shake and brought me back to my original search for a 35 or maybe even a 135 if the price is right.

Thanks again.
Bob