Need Help On 4341.1 Zetor Front Wheel Drive W/Cab

/ Need Help On 4341.1 Zetor Front Wheel Drive W/Cab #1  

Cabinholler

Silver Member
I know this is a very stupid question to ask here on the board, but this problem with the front wheel drive is driving me nuts. On 02/18/05, I bought a new 4341.1 Zetor tractor, with cab, with 4X4, with shuttle, and with a 102SL loader. This tractor was in front wheel drive when the trucker unloaded it on my farm. The next day, I started to use this tractor, and I couldn't get it out of front wheel drive. I pushed the 4X4 button on the dashboard to off, and it still stayed in front wheel drive with the front driveshaft still turning. I checked the tractor manual and it says that on cab tractors, the front wheel drive clutch is engaged by a spring and disengaged by air pressure from the air compressor tank on the tractor. The air compressor gage on the dashboard shows the compressor tank full of air. I have also bleed air out from the bottom of the air compressor tank when the air tank was at full pressure thinking that the compressor might be just idling, and would not supply air to the regulator, but that did not help the front wheel drive to disengage. By the way, this cab tractor doesn't have a ON/OFF shift lever for the compressor. The compressor is permanently engaged at all times.

If anyone on this board knows what could cause my front wheel drive not to disengage, please reply to my post. A reply would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Cabinholler

/ Need Help On 4341.1 Zetor Front Wheel Drive W/Cab #2  
Cabinholler
There is no such thing as a stupid question. But you may be surprised at the answer. You tractor is fine. If your tractor is moving the drive shaft will turn regardless to weather or not it is in four wheel drive. It is just like a 4x4 pickup without lock out hubs. Hope that helps.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need Help On 4341.1 Zetor Front Wheel Drive W/Cab
Chipperman

You are saying then that on a 4341.1 Zetor cab tractor with front wheel drive that the front driveshaft turns all the time no matter if the tractor is in 4X4 or 2X2. I thought on this tractor that when the button on the dashboard was pushed to the off position that the front wheel drive shaft would not turn. That is kind of confusing to me. It looks like to me if the front driveshaft turns all time regardless if it is in front wheel drive or not that one of the front wheels will be pulling all the time according to the weight distributed to the right or left front wheel. Several years ago, I had a older 4X4 Chevrolet truck that did not have lockout hubs on the front. The front driveshaft turned all the time regardless if the truck was in 4X4, or 2X2, and one of the front wheels pulled all the time according to the weight distributed to the front right or left wheel even in 2X2.

The question that I am still confused about is that if the tractor is in 4X4, or 2X2 the front driveshaft turns all the time. If this is the case, does one front wheel pull all the time even if the 4X4 button on the dashboard is turned to the off position. This is the way my older chevrolet 4X4 truck worked, and the driveshaft turned all the time. I was hoping that on this tractor that the front driveshaft would not turn when the 4X4 button on the dashboard was turned in the off position.

There was one other reason that I thought that the front wheel drive might be engaged all the time on this tractor is that when I have the tractor in high range and in 5th gear on the highway, the tractor vibrates pretty bad. The shuttle lever really vibrates on the highway. Is this normal for a tractor like this to vibrate so much in high range in 5th gear on the highway or not? If this is not normal, could there be something else besides the tractor being in front wheel drive that would cause this tractor to vibrate all the time in high range in 5th gear on the highway. If someone knows, please let me know.

Cabinholler

/ Need Help On 4341.1 Zetor Front Wheel Drive W/Cab #4  
Cabinholler
What I am saying is that any 4x4 tractor I can think of has the front wheel drive clutch in the middle of the tractor, therefore if the tractor is moving the front drive shaft will turn. Only if the clutch is engaged will the front wheels pull.

In regards to the vibration it is most likely due to the ag tires but it would not hurt to check with your dealer.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need Help On 4341.1 Zetor Front Wheel Drive W/Cab #5  
Might check your tire pressures. I run 40/20 front/rear.

Have not noticed excessive vibration if in 2WD road speed, whole tractor shakes if in FWD on pavement. The fronts spin ~3% faster than rears.

Remember the FWD switch toggles OPPOSITE from the lights. If the back light is on in the switch, the machine is in FWD.

A quick & dirty check on pavement: try shifting lo/hi range -- it will not shift if the machine is in FWD because the drive train will hold tension on the gears! Toggle FWD switch the other way & again try lo/hi shift. Slight roll back may be needed.

Remember to shut off engine with throttle - then keyswitch off. This allows electric solenoid to dump air tank (connect FWD clutch & disconnect rear locker clutch - if switched on)

Seems backwards but makes sense - if you tear out wiring in the woods or loose air compressor. Engine does not need electric power to continue to run with FWD traction. No electric transfer pump or fuel solenoid on board.

After a year of abuse tractor has not broken but several attachments have! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif