4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question #1  

Cabinholler

Silver Member
On 02/18/05, I bought a new 4341.1 Zetor tractor with 4X4. The tractor operator's manual states that the tractor came with 80W/90 fluid in the transmission and hydraulics. This blows my mind. Isn't 80W/90 fluid to heavy for the transmisssion and hydraulics for this tractor? I have checked the transmission, and the fluid in it is as thin as hydraulic transmission fluid. Do you think that my tractor came with hydraulic transmission fluid, and not 80W/90 fluid as stated in the tractor operator's manual? I am wondering now what type of fluid to use if the transmission and hydraulics become low on the dipstick. The tractor operator's manual states that hydraulic transmission fluid can be used instead of the 80W/90 fluid, but don't mix them together. At the present time, my tractor just has 20 hours on it. I don't want to drain out the 17 gallons of fluid in the transmission just now to see what weight it is. Surely this tractor came with Hydraulic transmission fluid in the transmission and hydraulics instead of 80W/90 fluid by being as thin as it is.

My question is to anyone that has bought a new Zetor tractor this size, or any size Zetor tractor: Did your tractor come with 80W/90 fluid, or hydraulic transmission fluid in the transmission and hydraulics? This is a question that I need to know soon. I have called the Zetor tractor office in Harrisburg, PA about this question, and I can never get anyone to answer the phone.

If anyone on this board knows the answer to this question, I would appreciate it very much. Also, if no one knows the answer to this question, where can I go to find out what type of fluid is in the transmission and hydraulics of my tractor when I bought it new?

A reply to this post would be most appreciated.

Cabinholler

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question #2  
Cabinholler,
I also have a 4341 and mine came with 80-90 wt. gear oil in the hydraulics. I believe some dealers may change it to universal tractor fluid before delivery. 80-90 wt. gear oil has a very distinctive smell so you should be able to do a smell test on the dipstick. I believe the manual uses a John Deere spec. for universal fluid so if you don't have 80-90 in your hydraulics, you could smell several different brands of UTF. When my tractor was new, I went by the local John Deere dealer and smelled their UTF just to be sure what was in mine. I live in Washington state and my hydraulics have been fine in winter with the 80-90 wt. oil. 80-90 gear oil actually has about the viscosity of 40 wt. engine oil.

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question #3  
I've had my 4341 since last Nov. Got around 80 hrs on it. Mine has 80/90. Looks clear and not thick. Smells nasty. The dealer says that when he does a trans. service, he puts 80/90 back in.

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question
sideboiler and Green4Me

I guess then that my 4341.1 Zetor tractor has 80W/90 fluid in the transmission and hydraulics. The fluid that is in my transmission and hydraulics is so thin that I can hardly see it on the dipstick. It looks like hydraulic transmission fluid.

I thought that all new tractors now days came from the dealer with hydraulic transmission fluid in the transmission and hydraulics. Years ago older tractors did come with 80W/90 fluid in the transmission and hydraulics.

There is one more question that I want to ask. If my new tractor came with 80W/90 fluid in the transmission and hydraulics, why does it look as thin as hydraulic transmission fluid. I thought that all 80W/90 fluid was heavier and felt heavier than hydraulic transmission fluid. If my tractor has 80W/90 fluid in the transmission and hydraulics, is this the same 80W/90 fluid that goes in the gearbox of a rotary cutter, or is this different fluid? I know this is a question off the wall, but I need to know this.

Cabinholler

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question #5  
Zetor tractors do come from the factory with 80/90 fluid in the rear end. I do not know the properties of this oil. I was told this is the oil of choice in Europe, weather that's all of Europe or not I do not know. I do know when you change the oil, a trans/Hyd. oil can be used. E-mail Peter at, plaznicka@amjawa.com he will answer any other questions you might have.
Chuck M.

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question
CMumger

I e-mailed Peter on 05/11/05 at Zetor Tractor Division, and he said Zetor tractors came from the factory with 80W fluid in the transmission and hydraulics. He also said that the 80W fluid would look real thin in the transmission and hydraulics. This is information from the horse's mouth. I would never thought that 80W fluid would be put in new tractors transmission and hydraulics now days. Several years ago some older tractors did have 80W fluid in the transmission and hydraulics.

There was one thing else that he told me. My tractor came with 30W engine oil from the factory.

Now we know that Zetor tractors come from the factory with 80W fluid in the transmission and hydraulics. I wonder if there are other brands of new tractors that come with 80W fluid in the transmission and hydraulics other than Zetor tractors.

Cabinholler

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question #7  
I have not changed my hyd. filter yet but have added 80w90 to the hyd via the dip stick tube since there is not other place for it to be. I have found it difficult to check since it is so thin and clear. I figure I am safe doing what the manuel says, but that may not be true. Anyone had a problem with the clutch master cylinder? My clutch pedal was on the floorboard the /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif other day and replaceing the master cylinder has been an big headache. I have tried to bleed the line with at least 30 pumps and it still spits air. Suggestions on how to do this since the manuel is a little vague. Thanks, Bruce

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question #8  
BBarbour
Your problem is more likely the slave cylinder. What year is your tractor? Also make sure when you ad brake fluid you use the DOT # that is shown in the manual other wise you will destroy all the seals in the system. I believe their is a better way to add Hydro fluid. I fill find out and get back to you.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question #9  
Cabinholler
If you call Zetor (in PA) and press #2 for Peter he will call you back. All Zetors come from the factory woth 80w/90 HYDRAULIC fluid in the transmissions. You can switch to universal hydro fluid (I think) but Peter (or your dealer) would be the best one to review your options with.
Hapy Tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 4341.1 Zetor Tractor Question #10  
Chipperman,
I finally got it working. I opened the bleeder when I pushed the clutch and closed it before releasing, thinking that maybe it would suck air like a suction pump. The I opened the bleeder and pushed the clutch pedal, etc. I also adjusted the threaded end of the master into the pedal so that it touched the stop screw. Whatever it was, or a combination of things, it is working now.

I asked my dealer what was the difference between DOT 3 and DOT 4 and he said he had no idea, but his auto mechanic told him that regular transmission fluid was just 10 weight oil with red coloring in it, as if it didn't matter what you used. I used DOT 4 since that is what it says on the reservoir cap.