Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question

/ Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question #1  

Cabinholler

Silver Member
I own a 2004 Zetor 4341.1 tractor with cab, with 4X4, and with shuttle that I bought new this past February.

My question is this: My tractor operator's manual states that the large transmission filter located on the left side of the tractor under the cab can be changed without draining the gear oil from the transmission. Also, the tractor operator's manual says to put a 5 gallon bucket under the old transmission filter before it is removed to catch the oil that will come out before the new transmission filter is installed. Yesterday, I started to remove the old transmission filter, and oil came out so much that it filled my 5 gallon bucket full. I screwed the old oil transmission filter back on the tractor to stop the flow of oil, because I didn't have but one clean 5 gallon bucket. The transmission on this tractor holds 17 gallons of gear oil. I was afraid if I got the old transmission filter off of the tractor that I would completely drain the transmission, and I didn't have enough clean 5 gallon buckets to catch the 17 gallons of gear oil. I am wanting to know if anyone here on the TBN has had this problem taking the transmission filter off of a Zetor tractor like this one. I don't understand why the tractor operator's manual states that the old transmission filter can be removed without draining the oil from the transmission when oil comes out by the gallons when the old transmission filter is uncrewed. I am wondering if I did somthing wrong when I started to remove the old transmission filter. There has got to be some answer to this problem that I don't know nothing about.

If anyone here on the TBN has had this problem removing a old transmission filter from a Zetor tractor like this one please reply to this post. I am at my wits end trying to figure this problem out. I sure don't want to drain the 17 gallons of gear oil out of the transmission to install a new transmission filter, because this tractor just has 70 hours on it.

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up until you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the trouble is, and eliminated it).

/ Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question #2  
Well if you dropped 5 gals already your're pretty much committed. I bought a 30 gal plastic tub from a discount store to catch all the oils. Came with a cover which helped mitigate the mess when transporting to County oil recycling tank.

I recall about 15 gallons to refill.

Also replaced the copper crush washers on drain plugs - picked up at NAPA. Each drain plug has flat new style or button old style shaped magnet for shavings.

Note: there are different power steering filters - depending on metal or plastic oil tank, be sure to order the appropriate one the first time!

Attachments

• 736396-wash & wax 4.jpg
    736396-wash & wax 4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,274
   / Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question #3  
You could try pulling one wheel up on a block to shift the oil away from the filter. I haven't seen one so I'm just guessing. tim

/ Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question #4  
I'm glad I read this. I bought a new filter since it says to change it after the first 200 hours. I haven't gotten to it yet so I'm interested in what others have to say. Maybe I need to get a 20+ gal. container ready before I do the job.

/ Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question
BBarbour

My Zetor tractor operator's manual states on page 40 that the transmission and hydraulic filter is to be changed out at 70 hours, then 200 hours, and then every 600 hours. My tractor now has 75 hours on it, and I have been trying to find out if I have to drain out all the 17 gallons of transmission oil to get the old transmission filter off. The tractor operator's manual states that it is not necessary to drain the transmission oil during filter change. The manual also states to use a clean 5 gallon bucket during filter change. Last week I started to change out my transmission filter. I unscrewed the old transmission filter just a little, and transmission oil gushed out and filled my 5 gallon bucket. I had to screw the old transmission filter back on the tractor to stop the oil flow, because I didn't have any more clean 5 gallon buckets at the present time.

Surely someone here on the TBN has changed out their transmission oil filter on their Zetor tractor, and know if the complete transmission has to be drained to replace a new transmission filter.

If the complete transmission doesn't have to be drained to install a new transmission filter, please let me know how you did it without all the transmission oil coming out during new transmission filter change.

All replies to this post would be most appreciated.

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up until you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the trouble is, and eliminate it).

/ Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question #6  
Cabinholler,

I placed a call to Zetor tech support on Sunday 9/18 and Peter left me a return message today. I called him about my clutch master cylinder, which I think I have uder control, but I will call him again tomorrow about the transmission filter. If you want to call him yourself, he left me his cell ***. Now watch, he will be swamped with calls and be pissed at me! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Hey, if we don't know, then I say call away! If either of us get answer, share it with the world! Thanks.

<font color="red">EDIT Removed phone number - pleasa don't post perronal contact information in the forums<!--color)-></font>

/ Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question
I e-mailed Laznicka Peter in Harrisburg, Pa about this Zetor tractor transmission filter question. This is his e-mail to me today 09/21/05 about this transmission filter question.

I realize that our procedure shoud probably say "have 3 buckets ready", we
will have to correct it.
The reality is though, that the filter should screw on the base easily and
quickly enough so no more than those 5 gallons will drain. Unfortunately,
there is no trick how to avoid the drain.
We have had this filter since 1998 and since it was (somehow) accepted by
our dealers and customers, it was not changed even for our new Proxima
series.

To be 100% safe, we should probably suggest to drain all oil. But who has 3
clean buckets handy on the farm, and who has some quick filling device, not
to have to pour 17 gallons of oil through the small neck in the bacK? So we
published this "shortcut", as developed by our service people.

As far as oil change, it does not matter if you change it now or later, at,
say 200 hours. Do whatever works for you better. If you already lost some
oil, do the change now and you will be done with it for several years.

Regards
Peter

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up until you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the trouble is, and eliminate it).

/ Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question #8  
I spoke with Peter today and he said the same thing. The filter housing was designed 7 years ago and they should probably change the manual to indicate the need to have more than one bucket ready, and maybe they should come up with something other than the small tube in the back where you check the fluid level by which to add fluid, especially if it is 17 gals.! He mentioned an electric pump to eliminate the pouring, but the tube will only accept so much per minute. I guess you just have to be quick about the change and try not to have all the fluid pour out.

Best of luck to you all!

/ Zetor Tractor Transmission Filter Question #9  
Hi, Ive got a 3520 and my filter pick up tube is about 2.5" off of the bottom of my transmission (if my memory serves me correctly) and with that said all of my oil should come out with the filter removed. Sometimes I found the manual hard to understand because of a bad translation. I dont remember if my manual said it could be changed or not without first removing the fluid. Just an FYI. Take care /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif