1948, wide front, Allis-Chalmers, model C purchased from a local tractor re-builder in 1997. The tractor came equipped with a spring loaded pan seat in place of the original bench seat. It was also converted to a 12 volt, keyed start electrical system. Other than that it appeared to be in original condition.
After using it for a few years to disc weeds on my 10 acres of undeveloped land, I purchased an after market 3 point hitch that is operated by the original hydraulic pump and a 4 foot, 3 point, rotary cutter. This set up functioned properly to keep my weeds under control.
After the rear wheels fall-off adventures, I replaced the original pressure clamp wheel attach system with bolt on wheel rims. A great improvement but I lost the suspense and fear factor of waiting for a wheel to fall off and send me tumbling to the ground.
Some time in the year 2000, I got tired of keeping the mechanical voltage regulator functioning. I replaced the generator/regulator with a one-wire alternator. This required some redesign and rewiring of the electrical box. Again, a step forward for technology.
In the following years I purchased more implements to use with my 3-point hitch. They all served a function, but some are more valued than others.
In the spring of 2004 I moved into a house, newly constructed on my 10 acres. About a year later the model C's engine jammed. I was unable to get the engine to rotate using the starter, the crank or pushing or pulling while in gear. After investigating all easily evaluated possibilities I was forced to split the tractor at the clutch housing and investigate further. After splitting, neither the front end (engine, flywheel and clutch section), nor the rear end (drive shaft) had no problems rotating. The clutch housing area was coated with grease and grime. After cleaning, I found a section of an old starter gear that must have jammed the flywheel. Clean up, clutch plate and starter ring gear replacement, and re-joining the front to the rear again gave me an operating tractor.
While I had the tractor in pieces I decided to totally repaint and modify a few items. The biggest changes were replacement of a holey manifold with a new one and the replacement of the magneto ignition with a coil/distributor ignition.
Other changes and additions included: a new carburetor, a cartridge air filter to replace the old oil bath filter, a redesign and rebuild of the hydraulic pump activator, head lights, a flip of the steering drag link to avoid rubbing on the radiator sheet metal, a tail light and new lettering decals. I now have a rebuilt antique that looks good and works great.