No Backhoe? No Problem! How to Dig Without a Backhoe

By TBN August 28, 2018 19:43

Most tractor owners have a backhoe somewhere on their wish list. But with a steep price tag and often only occasional uses, on that wish list is where the backhoe will remain for a while.

So how do tractor owners handle digging when the need does arise? Well that’s easy. Improvise.

In this article we’ve found a handful of ways that tractors can dig without a backhoe. Some are pretty nifty…

1. Digging With Your Front-End Loader

Technically, you can do a lot of digging with just your loader. Check out how deep this hole is, dug by BabyGrand in CT. He said he took about an inch off every pass and uncovered thick clay soil.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

By TBN August 28, 2018 19:43
Write a comment

11 Comments

1. kcender August 29, 21:16

Well good for you, but how long did that take?

2. mlints August 29, 23:41

I’ve done this myself. And yes, it takes longer than it would with a backhoe, but not that long, and it’s a hell of a lot faster than digging by hand.

3. Raybob August 30, 01:38

I’ve used a method that deserves a look when burying a pipe. A long ripper shank is first used to clear a desired path. Then, tie the connected length of pipe to the tip of the ripper and follow the path, sinking it all the way down. the pipe follows remarkably and is buried thereby with little ground disturbance. It is of course limited to the depth of the ripper shank. Oh, and be sure there are no OTHER buried lines. CALL first!

4. redman135 August 30, 09:17

This is how I clean my ditches on my farm track.The track is steep, measured at 30 degrees, and about 2 km long.

5. Kapper Outdoors August 30, 12:07

I’ve dug many good size watering holes with my tractor loader over the years. Just takes a bit of learning the tricks, but can save you a ton of cash!

6. none August 30, 12:52

Need info whether the backhoe shown is powered
    from the tractor PTO connection…Have a Ford 1975.
    2000 series tractor….If it does, provide me price & availibility /location….Richard Gregory, Evans, Ga

7. DrBRT September 3, 20:28

Where did you find dirt in CT without rocks or ledgerock?

8. washngo November 17, 03:55

True DrBRT…….LIVED IN CT all my life…….Rocks, rocks and more rocks? I wick I had a thumb for my Mahindra 22 max.

9. Scooter74 May 23, 21:36

Here in Northwest Arkansas you’d be bouncing off rocks at a depth of 1 inch or less. Very little clear dirt here unless you find a frequently flooded field.

Nice to see folks able to do that though.

10. Lurch March 25, 15:36

That’s called a plough/plow. It’s been around roughly 2000 years.

11. Kub8 May 11, 23:58

Will a compact/sub compact tractor be able to do this. . Doubt it . . Will try . . But wanted to hear feedback

View comments