Mule 610 - Problems with starting

/ Mule 610 - Problems with starting #1  

lantxinNETX

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035 HST, Bradco 485 Backhoe
I have a Mule 610 that has about 650 hours on it. For the last 6-8 weeks, I have had occasional issues with starting.

My first thought was that it might be the battery. Not knowing how old it was (I have only owned it for about 9 months) I decided to change it.
That didn't help. The weather does not seem to make a difference either. I've tried it when it was 40 degrees and damp and when it was 70 degrees and very dry. (We get all types of weather in SE Oklahoma!)

When I turn the key, sometimes it starts just fine. But about 2/3 of the time, I can hear the solenoid in the starter 'click' but nothing else happens. (I have held my hand on top of the starter while the key is turned so I know it is firing.)
I don't seem to have any other electrical issues - the battery is holding it's charge, the headlights work and as I said about 1/3 of the time when you turn the key it starts just fine. And once it starts it runs just fine. But if you turn off the key, you might find yourself stuck, unable to get it started again.

I am clearly focusing on the starter motor. I can get a new one for about $125, but I would just as soon not have to put it on if I don't have to.

(My Mule is 2ス hours away from my home - I only get to enjoy it on the weekends - and then only about 3 out of 4 weekends if I am lucky!)

I was thinking a bad ground, but it doesn't make much sense to me that it works fine some of the time . . . . .

Suggestions? Similar problems? I'm open to any help.

Thanks!

Martin

/ Mule 610 - Problems with starting #2  
A bad ground can and will work intermittently, so check/clean that first. Did you clean the battery terminals when you changed the battery?

/ Mule 610 - Problems with starting #3  
Not a Polaris mechanic.

Looks like you might be on the right track, bad starter.

On one of your trips, remove the starter if that's not too hard and have someone check it or check yourself if possible.

Another check is with a 12 volt multi meter. Attach both leads to your battery post and measure voltage.

Siting it should show 12 volts.
Key on, it should drop slightly.
Running at an idle, 12+ volts, usually 12.5 volts.
Running fast, say 3000 rpm, 14+ volts, usually 14.5.

Batteries left for long periods drain over time so a Battery Tender is great for keeping it charged and ready to go.

Hope this helps.

/ Mule 610 - Problems with starting #4  
I have a Mule 610 that has about 650 hours on it. For the last 6-8 weeks, I have had occasional issues with starting.

My first thought was that it might be the battery. Not knowing how old it was (I have only owned it for about 9 months) I decided to change it.
That didn't help. The weather does not seem to make a difference either. I've tried it when it was 40 degrees and damp and when it was 70 degrees and very dry. (We get all types of weather in SE Oklahoma!)

When I turn the key, sometimes it starts just fine. But about 2/3 of the time, I can hear the solenoid in the starter 'click' but nothing else happens. (I have held my hand on top of the starter while the key is turned so I know it is firing.)
I don't seem to have any other electrical issues - the battery is holding it's charge, the headlights work and as I said about 1/3 of the time when you turn the key it starts just fine. And once it starts it runs just fine. But if you turn off the key, you might find yourself stuck, unable to get it started again.

I am clearly focusing on the starter motor. I can get a new one for about $125, but I would just as soon not have to put it on if I don't have to.

(My Mule is 2ス hours away from my home - I only get to enjoy it on the weekends - and then only about 3 out of 4 weekends if I am lucky!)

I was thinking a bad ground, but it doesn't make much sense to me that it works fine some of the time . . . . .

Suggestions? Similar problems? I'm open to any help.

Thanks!

Martin

Troubleshooting starters can be a PITA, but intermittent issues can usually be traced to one of these things:

Low Battery Voltage
Corroded Connections
Corroded/Worn Contacts
Worn Out Mechanical Parts

Low Battery Voltage
Since you've replaced the battery, and you can verify that the battery is fully charged, we can probably skip this.

Corroded Connections
Corroded or dirty connections on either the ground or positive side can cause issues like this. Make sure that not only are the battery terminal and clamps clean, but that the battery cables haven't corroded back up under the insulation. You can remove both ends of the cable and test it with a meter. You should have a very low resistance. If there's any doubt, replace the cable.

Also be sure to check the low amperage connection on the solenoid itself, and make sure it's clean and tight.

Corroded/Worn Contacts
We basically have three sets of contacts to think about on a starter.

1. You have to remember that the solenoid doesn't just engage the starter motor gear with the flywheel. It is also a high current switch. When you turn the key, the low amperage terminal energizes the coils, which pulls the armature back. The armature pulls on the shift lever, pushing the gear out to engage the flywheel. However, when the armature moves back, it also closes the contacts on a high current switch, passing that on to the starter motor. Over time, these contacts can fail due to current arching and contact wear. When you turn the key, the armature still gets pulled back, but the contacts fail to pass the current and the motor doesn't turn.

2. Then there's the set of contacts that most people forget about. The contacts in the key switch. These can wear out and will reduce the amount of current getting to the solenoid. There may still be enough current to pull the armature part way back (making a click), but not far enough (or hard enough) to close the high current switch. The switch on the Mules is fairly exposed (unless you have a cab or park it covered, etc) and water could get into it and do some damage.

3. The starter motor brushes. With 650+ hours on your Mule, I suspect they probably have quite a bit of wear on them. Between wear on the brushes and wear on the commutator, there could be locations that would cause the starter motor not to turn. The brushes are only about $8 each (X4) from the dealer, and most of the time the commutator can be polished and made happy again.

4. The other things we need to consider is the contacts inside the Starter Circuit Relays. There are two of them, one for Brake and one for Neutral. Unless the wiring has been modified, it should work like this: If either the Brake is engage OR the transmission is in Neutral, one of those relays will pass current from the key switch to the starter solenoid. So you might want to look at these and see if changing the way you start the Mule makes a difference. That is, put the transmission in neutral and don't touch the brake and see if it starts. Then try putting the Mule into gear and stepping on the brake and see if it starts. If one of those works but the other doesn't, start by checking the switches themselves, then check the relays. The relays run about $30 each from the dealer. The neutral switch I think is about $7. I don't know what the brake switch would run, I'll see if I can find it.

Worn Out Mechanical Parts
Worn out parts could also cause things not to work. For example, if the solenoid armature starts wearing and builds up debris or friction inside the housing, it might not be able to move all the way and close the high current contacts. Or if the bearings (or more likely bushings) on the starter motor wear, that would allow the starters armature to drag on the inside of the housing and stop it from turning.

610starter.JPG610 starter.JPG

With that many hours on your Mule, it'd probably be worth changing the starter anyways, but if it's one of the switches or relays, that saves you having to tear into the engine.

Let us know what you find out.

NV

/ Mule 610 - Problems with starting #5  
My Father-in-Law has a 610 mule that starts and runs fine when the engine is cold. Once the engine heats up it is almost impossible to start. I'm thinking that it is needs a new starter, but, did want to run it through the forum to see what the school of thought on it was.

/ Mule 610 - Problems with starting #6  
I have a 610 with 300 hours no starting issues as yet but I have also a Kioti diesel that has a similar issue, the 610 has roof and windshield but the Kioti does not, similar issue 2 out of 5 turns of the key will start, what the issue was is the ignition switch, the water got into the switch and caused it not to start, the solenoid fires but weak, I took a can of contact cleaner, sprayed lots over time into the key slot, worked the switch and it seems to have fixed the issue, maybe check the switch out and see if full voltage is coming out of it to the solenoid

/ Mule 610 - Problems with starting #7  
With it being temperature related I would tend to agree it's most likely the starter.
I hope that yours is easier to get to and remove then the one on the 2500 series units are.