DIY Build PTO Hay Rake - Tedder

/ DIY Build PTO Hay Rake - Tedder #11  
I'd aim for a rotary type, something like the one in the video, would only use one rotor, about 6ft in diameter. An old car diff would do for the right angle drive if PTO or ground driven.
Rotor would be set up behind the GB and wheels, drive to rotor would be via belts. For the rotor and pulley mounting, would try and utilize the outer part of a light truck axle housing (pref fully floating axle type). Rotor bars would have to be made to take commercially made finger/tines.
If I had need for a rake and no suitable used machine was available I would have little hesitation in building a machine along these lines.

Last edited:
   / DIY Build PTO Hay Rake - Tedder
If I was going to build some type of PTO rake from scratch, I'd consider a belt rake, similar to belt rake - YouTube. It could be made with belts or chain, doesn't need a gearbox since it's all in the same rotational axis of the PTO shaft. Construction looks pretty simple.

Well, looking at all kinds of haybines, conditioners, cutters, sickles, rakes and tedders, that video seems interesting and doable with the PTO.

Also that type belt rake may be patentable. The good thing about patents are, you can build the same thing, but not be able to sell it to the public. You could sell plans, a build sheet and parts that are not covered in the patent to get someone close. Then they would have to get the last part or two elsewhere.

So, that belt rake is doable using 80/20 hardware. I downloaded some of the project ideas. Two of the projects combined would put this DIY homemade belt rake in the field behind the tractor.

/ DIY Build PTO Hay Rake - Tedder #13  
The belt rake appeared to work well on the video and would be an easier build than a rotary type.
Would be interesting to know how many belt rakes are at work.

Since I have a few weeks before the grass even starts to grow, I have some time to design plans in the CAD software and then evaluate the framing and mechanics.

Looking at rotary equipment driven by a PTO helps to get the innovation rolling. There are some things in this Wilco diagram that has my mind thinking of either a tedder or the rotary rake. The other thing is to find parts easily at any TSC, Rual-King and the local hardware store that anyone can assemble.

jtwwpg1a.jpg

Attachments

• PC-Trailer-w-comments.jpeg
    PC-Trailer-w-comments.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 662
   / DIY Build PTO Hay Rake - Tedder #16  
$400 will get you a New Idea side delivery rake: new idea hay rake
As the season gets closer, I wouldn't be surprised to see some others start showing up.
There was a 2 wheel rake on Craigslist for $200 all last summer and a couple of side delivery rakes for $200-400. Yes, they needed some work and TLC, but less than you would spend building one and they would probably outlast a rake made with bike wheels.

Aaron Z

Sure, up in your neck of the woods there is equipment, but in my area of three craigslists of 100 miles, .... nothing. And as the season gets closer, fewer would be found.

/ DIY Build PTO Hay Rake - Tedder #18  
Sure, up in your neck of the woods there is equipment, but in my area of three craigslists of 100 miles, .... nothing. And as the season gets closer, fewer would be found.
How about this one for $350: Hey rake Teather or this one for $225: Hay Rake
Both within ~2 hours of Nashville.

Aaron Z

/ DIY Build PTO Hay Rake - Tedder #19  
$400 will get you a New Idea side delivery rake: new idea hay rake
As the season gets closer, I wouldn't be surprised to see some others start showing up.
There was a 2 wheel rake on Craigslist for $200 all last summer and a couple of side delivery rakes for $200-400. Yes, they needed some work and TLC, but less than you would spend building one

Aaron Z

aczlan makes a good point. I have built several pieces of equipment over the years and to make something that works well and is of reasonable appearance, does have its expenses ie: bolts, belts, pulleys,bearings, machining that you can't do yourself etc . Even with a good supply of scrap, often the correct size pieces of steel may have to be purchased. That being said I have built equipment entirely from scrap.
Time is another factor. Most of these jobs are time consuming.
Don't let these arguments against building it yourself put you off if you have the desire tools time and patience.
The main problem I have found with buying used machines is the cost of transportation, a $300 purchase can easily end up $600 by the time you get it home.

Oh, I'm not worried about hauling anything home. I'm good for that. Just the fuel cost going out far and hauling it back can really add up.

Yep, some things would cost a bit more than used in the DIY methods. BUT, I have seen some used equipment as money pits to restore or get something to work half-way decent too.