Ballast box Carryall Welding platform

/ Ballast box Carryall Welding platform #1  

GCTucson

Tractor
Kubota L2900 GST
I made this box from 4x6 angle iron, diamond plate steel and some odds and ends of metal I had around. It's very heavy and I'll use it for ballast when doing loader work. I was going to make a concrete ballast, but thought I might as well get some added utility from the implement.

I put the top and bottom pins the same distance apart as the upper and lower links on the tractor. That way it should lift pretty much horizontal through its range.

The left side pieces are welded on, but the right side unbolts so I can roll stuff, like concrete weights, onto it with a hand truck. I'll replace the bolts with linchpins when I get to a hardware store.

The minty green spray paint was chosen only because it was what I had around...

Attachments

• Ballast Box.jpg
    Ballast Box.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:
   / Ballast box Carryall Welding platform #2  
I made this box from 4x6 angle iron, diamond plate steel and some odds and ends of metal I had around. It's very heavy

Looks good.

How heavy?

and I'll use it for ballast when doing loader work.

Are you intending to use it alone or with added weights? You do mention concrete weights later in the posting, but are those just for additional weight when required? What is your goal weight for the counterweight?

I was going to make a concrete ballast, but thought I might as well get some added utility from the implement.

Makes sense.

I put the top and bottom pins the same distance apart as the upper and lower links on the tractor. That way it should lift pretty much horizontal through its range.

That's what I intend doing when I eventually get round to making my counterweight. I have so many possible designs floating around in my head that I am not sure which way I will go. Now, you have added this good design that is worth considering.

The left side pieces are welded on, but the right side unbolts so I can roll stuff, like concrete weights, onto it with a hand truck. I'll replace the bolts with linchpins when I get to a hardware store.

What made you decide on leaving a side panel removable, as opposed to the back panel?

The minty green spray paint was chosen only because it was what I had around...

Did you notice that the ads on the top of this thread are for green paint?

Would you mind sharing some more detailed photos of the construction and perhaps some dimension details?

Thanks
Ken

/ Ballast box Carryall Welding platform
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your comments.
I made the box from stuff I had around, so that dictated the design as much as anything. I had an 8 foot length of 5/16" 4x6 angle iron and cut it in two. The diamond plate (3/8") was 48" x 30", so that seemed like a reasonable size - not so big it would interfere with maneuvering in tight spaces.
I set the plate on the angle iron pieces (long side up) and welded it in place. Then I cut three pieces of channel that was pre-drilled with 1/2" holes. I enlarged some of the holes to fit the upper and lower 3PH pins and put threaded rod through the other holes to make the 3 pieces into a solid unit. I then welded that on to the front of the angle iron.

The sides were open, so I added angle iron to one end and a 1 x 3" steel tube to the other side. The tube is attached to the angle iron pieces with bolts and is made to come off if necessary. I wanted to be sure that items I'm carrying are not going to slide off, but I also did not want the box to fill with water.

I have cement blocks with handles that I'll use for extra weight, if necessary. I'm just going to have to see how it works out. The box weighs roughly 250 lbs, and I can add a couple hundred more with blocks and heavy steel stuff.

I'm happy to send you more pics and dimensions. I think I can upload a pdf on site with further info.

Your tractor is considerably larger, but with concrete blocks you might get a fair bit of extra weight too.

BTW, I started driving tractors when I lived in Western Australia. I was doing tree planting and revegetation projects in the wheatbelt and up north. I got to drive a lot of different kinds, but every farm seemed to have an old 8n Ford.

/ Ballast box Carryall Welding platform #4  
Extremely useful. I have a similar carrier and it serves a number of needs... essentially a mini pickup.

FWIW, one of the first addon's that I purchased were 3 point forks and they immediately became invaluable.

Later I began a firefighting/pumper project that evolved over several years which started out carrying water in the front loader bucket. It quickly became obvious that more water storage was essential, so, I came up with a simple platform to attach to the forks.

It's simply half a sheet of 3/4" pressure treated plywood that bolts to the forks plus 2x4's to marginally fence things in. This carries 2 60gal drums plus the ability to add a 30 gal drum if I end up adding a foam generator to the mix. I find that in most cases, it's not necessary to bolt the plywood to the forks, but I might eventually add a couple of u-bolts to make it quick and easy to put the platform securely on the forks in the future.

Beverly Howard

3PointCarrier.jpg

/ Ballast box Carryall Welding platform
I added a receiver to the back of the box recently. It's handy because I can move my trailer easily and don't have to fire up my van and put a hitch on it. I just welded on a 6" piece of 1/4" walled square steel tube with holes to match the hitch. Easy!