Tractor Sizing Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR?

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower
Repetitively typing almost the same advice on the Topic: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? is not that interesting.

I am going to accumulate some well considered, well punctuated standard replies, then refine the advice.

Everyone is welcome to contribute.

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR?
I have a 5 acre property that's divided into "upper" and "lower" by a reasonable slope. Approximately 2 acres is house/driveway/yard, the remaining 3 acres is wooded. I have a shared 1/4 mile gravel driveway.

Immediate need is maintaining the driveway, mowing, moving materials like mulch, and removing light snow. I see myself cutting paths through the property, clearing some undergrowth, moving some dirt, etc.

So I'm looking to replace my little JD garden tractor with a tractor with a loader and a MM mower deck. I'm stuck at my first decision on whether or not it's overkill to step up to a compact like a 2025r, B2301 or any number of other models.

For five acres either a subcompact or compact tractor will serve. 4-WD should provide traction on your sloped land with R4/industrial tires.

Have you performed your own service on your L&G Tractor? If so, you can perform routine service on either a subcompact or compact tractor.

Subcompact tractors with a Mid Mount Mower have about 3" or ground clearance with mower attached, 9" ground clearance with mower removed. Removing and replacing MMM is easier than in the past but still not fun. Minimal 9" ground clearance can make working in woodland difficult. Subcompacts have two-range (2) HST transmissions. Subcompacts generally draw 48" wide implements.

Compact tractors of 1,600 - 1,800 pounds bare tractor weight have larger wheels and tires. Larger wheels yield greater ground clearance, usually at least 12", and a much smoother ride over rough ground. Compact tractors have greater FEL lift capacity than Subcompacts and usually have three-range (3) HST transmissions. Compact tractors generally draw 54" or 60" implements. Allowing for a 5" overlap in use, a considerable improvement over 48" implements.

Either a subcompact or compact tractor will operate a MMM equally well. The compact will be a TINY amount less maneuverable.

If you can afford a 1,600 - 1,800 pound Compact, go for it. If you consider Kubota, focus on the B2650.

The MMM is a inferior mowing option IMO. MMMs cost close to a used ZTR and get in the way of doing anything else. The loader also gets in the way of mowing.

I too recommend a Zero Turn Mower for lawn mowing. Or keep your L&G tractor and skip new tractor MMM. Instead, acquire a Bush Hog with your new tractor for trails and your meadow.

VIDEO: Kubota BX Series VS. B Series - YouTube

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm looking at a 2012 Kubota BX2660 with a loader and 60 inch belly mower with 50 hours for $11,000. From what I've found that is a very good price around me. Who has this tractor, and how did you like it? I've already read a bunch about being careful with the transmission cooler being exposed. More importantly how does this machine perform dragging/loading decent size logs, nothing crazy. Moving snow, finish mowing without turf tires, moving dirt and gravel, maintaining driveway with box blade. Does anyone have real world experience with the loader capacity?
I have 7 acres, I do all my work by hand right now so anything will be better than that. Where do you think the Subcompact would come up short?

BX series tractor are best regarded as wonderful lawn mowers with the ability to do light landscaping tasks. Kubota sells bazillions of BX tractors yearly and many owners are completely happy with them.

With only 9" ground clearance with mower removed, it is difficult to take a BX into woodlands. Because of low ground clearance, HST cooling fan under the tractor is vulnerable to ground damage. Those who take BX tractors into woodlands often armor underneath. Several venders sell armor kits.

Removing/replacing a Mid Mount Mower, with its front PTO shaft, is a tedious, sweaty task.

VENDER: BXpanded Under Armor

FEL bucket lift capacity is around 500 pounds. Not much by tractor standards BUT SURE BEATS TRUNDLING A WHEELBARROW OF 80 POUNDS CAPACITY. Tractor is 1,389 pounds bare tractor. With a full bucket, the tractor can be a bit unstable.....but so are other tractors. Front axle is thin. Plan to keep 350 to 450 pounds counterbalance mounted on the Three Point Hitch when doing Loader work. Weight behind the robust rear axle unloads weight from the relatively weak front axle.

Four reasons owner/operators trade up from a BX:
More tractor weight.
More FEL lift capacity.
Greater ground clearance
Three-range (3) HST rather than two-range (2) HST on BX. (Lower LOW, Higher, HIGH)

The BX tractors are solid for what they are. Excellent first tractors. Easy to service yourself.

If mowing is your primary task you may be happy for years. BX will do your other tasks but will be somewhat slow. (Allowing for 5" overlap, a 48" Box Blade only works 43" per pull.)

You can tow log sections with a BX and 1/4" Grade 70 chain. Saw trunks into reasonable weight sections. Tractors are designed to PULL.
Cross-drawbar PHOTO.
MORE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...h-cross-2.html ((Cursor down to Post #14.))
PHOTOS: KUBOTA B3300SU

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is generally greater than depreciation on a tractor.

Last edited:
   / Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #3  
Its just me, but I don't like cut and paste responses to peoples questions. If I get tired of responding to the same old questions, I just ignore them. The best way to handle repeated questions is a sticky at the top of the page.

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #4  
Its just me, but I don't like cut and paste responses to peoples questions. If I get tired of responding to the same old questions, I just ignore them. The best way to handle repeated questions is a sticky at the top of the page.

I agree, I ignore most of them myself, a quick search will bring up everything one needs..

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #5  
I agree, I ignore most of them myself, a quick search will bring up everything one needs..

search function kind of sucks sometimes on these forums. Second I think a lot of people just want reaffirmation. Some stickys at the top would be helpful, I would stay away from brand in stickys, brand often times isnt answering what people want or need.

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #6  
I find the search to be useful. Everyone has a different situation, (lawn size, etc) so I understand why people open there own threads..

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #7  
The other problem is stickies need to be fact based, when what people should buy, brand, size etc is opinion based.

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #8  
The other problem is stickies need to be fact based, when what people should buy, brand, size etc is opinion based.

agreed, a lot of great information above but there is a lot of opinion and bias toward branding, which a lot of it is true, but defeats the sticky I think.

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #9  

Repetitive threads on this topic is part of the nature of sites like this. Posters want to focus on their own needs and property and would like replies tailored to their questions.

If it's too much trouble to keep typing the same information in replies, don't do it. No one needs to reply to every thread all day long, every day.

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #10  
Repetitive threads on this topic is part of the nature of sites like this. Posters want to focus on their own needs and property and would like replies tailored to their questions.

If it's too much trouble to keep typing the same information in replies, don't do it. No one needs to reply to every thread all day long, every day.

Says the guy with 2,622 posts in 8 months.. If you read post 6 you would read that I understand why there are many of the same threads.. It would nice if you limited you'r looking for negative trouble posts, they happen often..