Buying Advice Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase?

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #1  

SENDIT

Tractor
None yet but hoping to change!
Hello everyone! First post here but have been a reader (unregistered) for quite a while now.

My grandfather owns 130 acres in SE Kansas. Land was mainly purchased for hunting, fishing, and general relaxing but I would estimate about 70-80 acres currently tillable. The remaining land is split between grass/weeds and woods (some dense some sparse). The tillable land is currently leased.

Now that I have graduated school and am gainfully employed and my dad is retired our usage patterns have been changing. I have the time to go down on weekends and even after work some days.

My dad and my mom have taken up bee keeping are going down and spending time there much more often.

Right now through the summer we are slightly limited. My mother and sister do not like how tall the grass gets between mowings, sometimes it will be chest high. Unfortunately this means I have been mowing high traffic areas with a lawn man lawnmower or a push mower at least every other week during growing season. This is slow and inefficient. And frankly the little mower, albeit fighting hard, is just not up to the tasks that have been asked of it.

My dad and I have been kicking around the idea of a tractor. The original plan was to sell remove the modular home on site and build a barn with living quarters first and then get a tractor.

BUT

We stumbled upon an auction near our town with two 4610SU tractors on the block.

One unit I think is a 1983 model with 4973 hours on the tack. The notes list a dead battery and a coolant leak. Supposedly not used in about a year. Coolant leak is supposedly coming from in front of the first split but I am not sure. The tires are going to need replaced sooner rather than later. I popped the radiator cap and it did not look milky like there was oil mixed in but has a some black stuff Im wondering if its the inside of the coolant lines??? 2 hydraulic outlets and 2 front weights. Unit currently at $2300. My gut has some major reservations. Serial number C700805.

The second unit I think - is a 1985 Ford 4610su with unit still in use. At time of posting 1003 hours. To the contacts knowledge that is the actual hours and it has not rolled over. Serial number C748289

This unit definitely appears cleaner than the first and also has 2 remotes. It has a front guard on it and the horizontal exhaust which I would want to change to the vertical stack for mowing. Parts appear readily available online. This unit currently at $3600.

Please note I am not super confident on these dates. I did my best googling and just got confused.

Our land is generally pretty flat with some undulations to it. We were leaning towards an 8 land pride pull behind unit. Like the RCR2596. Mainly leaning towards land pride due to them being manufactured in Salina, Kansas and wanting to support them as well as a lot of dealers stocking parts.

Other tasks would include
- tilling/seeding feed plots
- Gravel road maintenance
- carryall duty for fencing or other projects
- Moving pallets of split firewood on 3pt

I have heard the front axle is too light for loader work? Is that correct?

Do you think this size tractor would work for our application?

We had originally been looking at the 5610 under the theory that Id rather have a little too much than not enough.

Where we arent in the best storage position for this (we can put in a friends barn but thats inconvenient for him) we would need to get these for a very good deal. Even if that meant spending more down the road. What do you think would be a good deal?

Any thoughts on the two units from my very limited information?

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #2  
Hello everyone! First post here but have been a reader (unregistered) for quite a while now.

My grandfather owns 130 acres in SE Kansas. Land was mainly purchased for hunting, fishing, and general relaxing but I would estimate about 70-80 acres currently tillable. The remaining land is split between grass/weeds and woods (some dense some sparse). The tillable land is currently leased.

Now that I have graduated school and am gainfully employed and my dad is retired our usage patterns have been changing. I have the time to go down on weekends and even after work some days.

My dad and my mom have taken up bee keeping are going down and spending time there much more often.

Right now through the summer we are slightly limited. My mother and sister do not like how tall the grass gets between mowings, sometimes it will be chest high. Unfortunately this means I have been mowing high traffic areas with a lawn man lawnmower or a push mower at least every other week during growing season. This is slow and inefficient. And frankly the little mower, albeit fighting hard, is just not up to the tasks that have been asked of it.

My dad and I have been kicking around the idea of a tractor. The original plan was to sell remove the modular home on site and build a barn with living quarters first and then get a tractor.

BUT

We stumbled upon an auction near our town with two 4610SU tractors on the block.

One unit appears to be 1983 model with 4973 hours on the tack. The notes list a dead battery and a coolant leak. Supposedly not used in about a year. Coolant leak is supposedly coming from in front of the first split but I am not sure. The tires are going to need replaced sooner rather than later. I popped the radiator cap and it did not look milky like there was oil mixed in but has a some black stuff Im wondering if its the inside of the coolant lines??? 2 hydraulic outlets and 2 front weights. Unit currently at $2300. My gut has some major reservations.

The second unit appears to be a 1989 4610su with unit still in use. At time of posting 1003 hours. To the contacts knowledge that is the actual hours and it has not rolled over.
This unit definitely appears cleaner than the first and also has 2 remotes. It has a front guard on it and the horizontal exhaust which I would want to change to the vertical stack for mowing. Parts appear readily available online.
This unit currently at $3600.

Our land is generally pretty flat with some undulations to it. We were leaning towards an 8 land pride pull behind unit. Like the RCR2596. Mainly leaning towards land pride due to them being manufactured in Salina, Kansas and wanting to support them as well as a lot of dealers stocking parts.

Other tasks would include
- tilling/seeding feed plots
- Gravel road maintenance
- carryall duty for fencing or other projects
- Moving pallets of split firewood on 3pt

I have heard the front axle is too light for loader work? Is that correct?

Do you think this size tractor would work for our application?

We had originally been looking at the 5610 under the theory that Id rather have a little too much than not enough.

Where we arent in the best storage position for this (we can put in a friends barn but thats inconvenient for him) we would need to get these for a very good deal. Even if that meant spending more down the road. What do you think would be a good deal?

Any thoughts on the two units from my very limited information?

Thanks!

I have the same tractor. 89 4610SU with a loader. Mine has 3800 hours or so. Love the tractor. I haven’t had any issue with the front end. I have had issues with leaking power steering that I think stems from too much loader work. And the front end does look like the weak point.

Very recently bought an 1990 445C that is similar in many ways but it’s 4wd and built for loader work.

Given what you’re describing, the 4610su would probably work just fine. Plenty of power and weight. Great reliable tractor. Let me know if you have questions. The price sounds pretty good and with those hours it should last a long long time.

IMG_3354.JPGIMG_5490.JPG

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase?
I have the same tractor. 89 4610SU with a loader. Mine has 3800 hours or so. Love the tractor. I haven稚 had any issue with the front end. I have had issues with leaking power steering that I think stems from too much loader work. And the front end does look like the weak point.

Very recently bought an 1990 445C that is similar in many ways but itç—´ 4wd and built for loader work.

Given what youæ±*e describing, the 4610su would probably work just fine. Plenty of power and weight. Great reliable tractor. Let me know if you have questions. The price sounds pretty good and with those hours it should last a long long time.

View attachment 674673View attachment 674674

Thank you for your reply! Have you found parts to be pretty easy to find? It looks like that are from what I have seen online but just to confirm.

The auction runs through the 17th of November so I assume it may climb a little more. How high would you think would still be a good price?

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #4  
Thank you for your reply! Have you found parts to be pretty easy to find? It looks like that are from what I have seen online but just to confirm.

The auction runs through the 17th of November so I assume it may climb a little more. How high would you think would still be a good price?

No problems. I live close to a Ford dealer, but i often buy stuff online with no issues.

Weæ±*e you able to get a service manual? I found some PDFs for sale online but would love to find one I can confirm is the same as the OEM manual if I win the bid

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #6  
Weæ±*e you able to get a service manual? I found some PDFs for sale online but would love to find one I can confirm is the same as the OEM manual if I win the bid

I think I ended up getting the PDF online for the service manual. I don’t remember where unfortunately and I haven’t touched it since I did some initial work originally 5 years ago. Operators manual came with the tractor and that’s what I primarily use.

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #7  
The 4610 should run an 8' cutter just fine, 3rd gear you can likely run it in anything, 2nd gear for the thickest stuff, 4th gear for thinner stuff. You will probably notice the tractor will be too bumpy on the terrain before you will run out of horsepower ability.
The front end will be the weak point, it is very much the same front end of a 3910 that I had for 14 years. I rebuilt the front end in mine and had pretty much replaced every part in the time I had it, it was a 1989 model and when I traded it off it had 2600 hours on the dial. You can get alot of work done with that machine and a loader, don't be scared of it only being 2wd as you are on flat ground and from what I remember that area is not a real wet part of the country. One thing to keep in mind is that tractor is heavy, with a loader an attachment its all a 1/2 ton truck should pull. The weight helps you get work done but if the ground is soft the weight can work against you. If you end up with a 4610 send me a message with an email and I can send you a pdf of a very complete shop service manual.

The 4610 should run an 8' cutter just fine, 3rd gear you can likely run it in anything, 2nd gear for the thickest stuff, 4th gear for thinner stuff. You will probably notice the tractor will be too bumpy on the terrain before you will run out of horsepower ability.
The front end will be the weak point, it is very much the same front end of a 3910 that I had for 14 years. I rebuilt the front end in mine and had pretty much replaced every part in the time I had it, it was a 1989 model and when I traded it off it had 2600 hours on the dial. You can get alot of work done with that machine and a loader, don't be scared of it only being 2wd as you are on flat ground and from what I remember that area is not a real wet part of the country. One thing to keep in mind is that tractor is heavy, with a loader an attachment its all a 1/2 ton truck should pull. The weight helps you get work done but if the ground is soft the weight can work against you. If you end up with a 4610 send me a message with an email and I can send you a pdf of a very complete shop service manual.

Neither of these units have a loader mounted on them but it is possible that some day we may decide we want to add one, what model loader did you find works well?

The land is flat but does have a few wet areas, we are along a creek feeding the maris de cygne river and located rather close to the river we have had some floods before but obviously would not be mowing if the land is flooded lol. Some of the low areas are marshy for duck and such but they usually dry by July or August and likely wouldn稚 bet mowed before then either.

Both my dad and I have f150s mine has a rating of just over 10,000lb and I have e range tires, overload springs, upgraded air box, and a trailer break control. His is brand spankin new and is rated higher but I don稚 know what the rating is exactly. It is important to me to be able to transport it as for the time being it would not be stored on our property. I currently have a 16+2 pj trailer with dual 5,200 lb brake axles and rub a weight distribution hitch anytime I break 5-6000lb do you think this setup would work for this tractor and a mower (even if I start with a used 6 3pt until I get it in a shed on the property???

I appreciate it I will definitely reach out! The auction still has about 3 weeks and I am nervous!

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #9  
If you want a loader maybe waiting for a used combo for sale is best. These are popular used tractors and used loaders hard to find. Adding a new loader typically expensive

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #10  
Neither of these units have a loader mounted on them but it is possible that some day we may decide we want to add one, what model loader did you find works well?

The land is flat but does have a few wet areas, we are along a creek feeding the maris de cygne river and located rather close to the river we have had some floods before but obviously would not be mowing if the land is flooded lol. Some of the low areas are marshy for duck and such but they usually dry by July or August and likely wouldn稚 bet mowed before then either.

Both my dad and I have f150s mine has a rating of just over 10,000lb and I have e range tires, overload springs, upgraded air box, and a trailer break control. His is brand spankin new and is rated higher but I don稚 know what the rating is exactly. It is important to me to be able to transport it as for the time being it would not be stored on our property. I currently have a 16+2 pj trailer with dual 5,200 lb brake axles and rub a weight distribution hitch anytime I break 5-6000lb do you think this setup would work for this tractor and a mower (even if I start with a used 6 3pt until I get it in a shed on the property???

I appreciate it I will definitely reach out! The auction still has about 3 weeks and I am nervous!

I've got a 14 F 150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and the truck pulled my 3910, loader and whatever I had on it but I have a 20' trailer and I used all 20' if the loader was on, it wasn't too much weight to pull but the tongue weight grew rather high when you have to load the tractor far enough forward to get everything on. Often I would back on and fold the bucket or forks underneath the loader on the rear to fit. Your setup sounds sufficient but I wouldn't want to tow it alot.
I have a Ford 7209 loader on mine, it had the engine mounted hydraulic pump and I had lifting power and hydraulic capabilities far beyond what the tractor could handle. I could go with a heavy something on the rear end and still lift the back tires off the ground where I couldn't move with it. I traded it because I find myself towing alot to small jobs and end up doing more turf damage due to slipping wheels or the front tires cutting in so I went with a lighter weight 4wd compact about 15 horsepower less than my 3910, and the front end was quite worn out again on my 3910. It is much easier to lug around and the new tractor does better in the soft conditions I often find myself in.