Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series)

/ Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series) #1  

Reg

Elite Member
I know we had a thread on this a dozen years or so ago, but I can't find it.
Anyway, did anyone ever figure out what that connector is, i.e. whether it has a "standards" number, probably a Euro standard ?
Possibly an auto industry standard, again maybe a Euro auto parts industry standard ?

I got interested in it again when working on my 11 year old Durango.
The 7 pin trailer socket plugs into another socket in the loom and that socket looked very much like the one on the back of my tractor.
Well, memory was playing tricks on me, other than being rectangular and similar in size - - it was nowhere near a match.

/ Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series) #2  
It's been ten years or more, but I *swear* I had something similar on the back of my 1983 International 5288. I remember the pins were round, & about 6-7 of them.

Can you post a picture of your tractor plug?

/ Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series) #3  
The plug on the back of my tractor is a 7 pin SAE J560. It has 7 round pin connectors with the top pin larger than the rest. Attached are pics and wiring diagrams if yours is the same. Vehicles usually have a 7 flat pin connector or standard RV plug shown in the last pic and attached pdf.

Attachments

• SAE-COLOR-CODE-FOR-TRAILER-CONNECTORS.pdf
    117.8 KB · Views: 179
  • SAE trailer plug wiring.jpg
    SAE trailer plug wiring.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 488
  • DSCN1940 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1940 (Medium).JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN1941 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1941 (Medium).JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 7 pin flat RV connector.jpg
    7 pin flat RV connector.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 106
   / Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series)
Yes, I'll try to get a picture of the tractor end, maybe even measure it.

Not very often, but just once in a while I would like to move a trailer (with a 7 pin flat blade plug on it) with my tractor and it would be kinda NICE to be able to plug it into the tractor.

That rectangular socket on the tractor has bugged me since day zero (the day BEFORE I bought it).
As I said, on the back of the 7 pin socket of my Durango there is a plug that looked similar and given the Daimler/ChryCo/MB conglom muddle I thought for the moment that I might have stumbled on the secret "adapter".
A minute later hope was gone (-;

/ Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series) #5  
   / Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series)
Etrailer has a 7 pin round to 7 pin flat adapter. If your tractor plug is like mine this adapter will at least let you tow your trailer and have working lights. You won't have trailer brakes due to no brake controller on the tractor.

Pollak Trailer Connector Adapter - Vehicle End - 7-Pole Round to 7-Way Blade Pollak Wiring PK12-724

Thanks, but nothing like that.

It is rectangular and has flat blade type connectors arranged in two columns (4 or 5 rows).

- -
- -
- -
- -
- -

sort of thing.

/ Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series) #7  
That's a new one on me. Do post a pic when you have the chance.

/ Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series) #8  
I would like to know as well. Thinking about being able to run trailer lights on my dump trailer behind my 4020R. Thanks

/ Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series) #9  
Reg: Did you ever find a connector for this plug?

/ Electrical connector at back (of Large frame series) #10  
It's indeed a European standard 7 pin trailer plug. We also have a 13 pin. Not sure why they would use that socket in the US market though.

s-l1600.jpg

EDIT: Just read Reg's posts again and this probably not it but I'll still leave it as comparison.