Hydraulic system flush

/ Hydraulic system flush #1  

Lhhippie

Tractor
Branson 4220
Hello all,

Looking for some advice on removing milky oil from my Branson 4220. Hydraulic oil is milky and hydraulic system has stopped working. I am hoping to remove as much of the milky fluid as possible and would rather NOT do 3 full fluid / filter changes to save a little money......

I was thinking 🤔 about draining half the tank, rig section tube to new pail and running the system just from the new pail a few times. Hoping this will always be pulling in new fresh oil and pushing the old crap back to the tank???

Thoughts??????

PVC from new pail to pump, sounds doable but figured I would ask the group 😁

Thanks in advance

/ Hydraulic system flush #2  
When you're pulling in new clean fluid, the old watery stuff is still sitting in the tank and you're not moving it. I don't see how that's any more effective than replacing all the fluid the normal way.

I'd just bite the bullet and do a couple fluid changes, using cheap but appropriate tractor fluid like TSC's premium. "hydraulic system stopped working" is kind of alarming.

/ Hydraulic system flush
Hello ericm979,
My thought was after running ram and tilt a few times with the new pail. I would then drain the tank completely and refill. This way I can purge all cylinders with the new without removing lines and stuff.

I agree about the system stopped working........ I am hoping the filter is clogged or something. I am kicking myself for not changing the hydraulic filter before filling with new stuff.
I bought this unit with multiple problems and this is one of the last I am working through.

The hydraulics were very jerky and then just became extremely slow. That is why I am hoping the filter is shot. ��

/ Hydraulic system flush #4  
Do you know how the oil in the system got milky? Obviously water got in it somehow, but how? I'd make sure I understood that before cleaning it up so it doesn't happen again, because as you are finding, it is a real PITA to fix.

One thing to consider; I believe you might ruin a pump in a real hurry if you run it dry. That would be my concern with your suggested method of rigged tubing. Seems like the chances of that happening might be fairly high. If that happens, the 3 oil/filter change method might seem inexpensive. 3 changes might be factory recommended "cover their @$%" overkill. Maybe 2 would do fine. If you haven't changed the filter(s), I'd do it right now as the first step if you have already changed the oil.

/ Hydraulic system flush
Thanks cougsfan
When I purchased it had a broken head and the wet brakes were off and covers not replaced. I do not how long it sat like this before I got it. I “think” maybe rain got into it through the open brake covers. Or maybe through the broken steering seal at the orbital box????? That was a mess......
A lot of thread reading (other brands) mention rain getting just through the many linkages but the Branson 4220 I do not see any obvious entry points mentioned. This is why I’m thinking the open brakes or broken steering seals maybe.

After replacing the head, new rings (because low compression), fixing the governor, new GP’s, re-wiring (previous owner hack), new pick up pump, new oil pressure and temp sensors......... dam I hate the previous owner...... ugh
I had a heck of a time priming the pump so I am sure I ran it dry for a little while before it got a prim. Hopefully I did not damage it during that time.

Once I did get it running the loader worked good except dump had a leaking cylinder. Then it got jerky then very very slow. Man I hope new fluid and filter clears that up. I bought it broken because I’m broke and do not mind turning a wrench, but this is getting out of hand. The previous owner did nothing to this tractor at alllllllll.
Live and learn I guess, but it runs fantastic if I can get this last thing lined out I will be happy as ****. Thus far I’m about 6 grand in

/ Hydraulic system flush #6  
My hydraulic system has an aviation high pressure filter in line (DIY) just after the pump so my valves and cylinders only enjoy nice clean fluid, also the pick up has the usual suction screen so I'm good.
Also since I have an evasive minor leak* I need to top up occasionally with, naturally, fresh fluid.

*at a very difficult location.

/ Hydraulic system flush #7  
1. Let it drain over night
2. Put on a NEW filter and clean oil.
3. Start it and let it idle for 10 minutes.
4. THEN you can work the 3 point hitch (slowly) up & down.
5. Check the oil level and see if it stays clean.

That's the cheapest way to do this.

Good luck...

/ Hydraulic system flush
Thanks TractorErnie
Do you think it’s worth it to take all the hoses and cylinders off to drain contaminated oil??
Or will the fresh oil dilute it enough?

Thanks in advance!!

/ Hydraulic system flush #9  
Thanks TractorErnie
Do you think it’s worth it to take all the hoses and cylinders off to drain contaminated oil??

Thanks in advance!!
I would run it all the way up, then drain everything out, then lower it down all the way. That way the cylinders will be mostly empty.
Or just plan on getting enough to do it twice.

Aaron Z

/ Hydraulic system flush #10  
Thanks TractorErnie

Thanks in advance!!

Hippie,
Just drain it really good, use the machine and see down the road (a few hours) if it needs another change.
It should be well diluted by then.
That's what I would do..
Good luck