Cub Cadet 5252 power steering problem only when hot

/ Cub Cadet 5252 power steering problem only when hot
I just did some more mowing and had another thought. Is it possible that the steering unit is just overheating due to the fact that it's so close to the muffler? The hydraulic lines to and from the steering cylinder go right next to the muffler too. Maybe it's just bad design and nothing wrong with the hydraulics themselves. I couldn't find anything in the service manual about normal operating temperatures and such.

/ Cub Cadet 5252 power steering problem only when hot #12  
I just did some more mowing and had another thought. Is it possible that the steering unit is just overheating due to the fact that it's so close to the muffler? The hydraulic lines to and from the steering cylinder go right next to the muffler too. Maybe it's just bad design and nothing wrong with the hydraulics themselves. I couldn't find anything in the service manual about normal operating temperatures and such.

I tore all the heat shields and protective guards out of my tractor so the engine could breathe. You can see straight through the engine compartment from the side. They close it up so no idiots will stick their hands into a turning driveshaft. Models after my 2004 even have louvers in the top of the hood so I'm thinking about drilling some vent holes in mine. Whether heat can cause your problem I think is unlikely. You could stick something between the hoses and the muffler to test it.

My vote is that there is something wrong with the steering unit. Seems like everything else is working. I saw a used one on ebay a few weeks back. I think it was Daves tractor world and the steering unit was from a 5254.

Over the weekend I ripped out the factory muffler/headers/heatshield and replaced it with Kohler kit #2478620-S which consists of 2 header pipes and a side-mounted muffler that goes next to the oil filter. It's not a 100% direct fit because the mounting holes in the engine base for the muffler bracket are obscured by the tractor's frame, but I think even without that it should stay on there. I haven't tested it fully yet because I'm waiting for a cage for the muffler to keep it from coming in contact with the hood. I might end up just cutting off a small part of the hood overhang that touches the muffler, if the cage doesn't do the trick.

By the way, I started the tractor up with just the 2 header pipes and no muffler and it was loud. At idle it wasn't too bad but at full throttle the noise level was just unbearable.

/ Cub Cadet 5252 power steering problem only when hot #14  
Wanted to give you a heads up to a problem I just ran into and I know at least one other 5252 owner had. My PTO went out completely and it turned out to be a bad console. When I removed the console it had acutally melted on the backside facing the muffler. Try to protect the back of that console from the heat as it costs several hundred dollars.

Over the weekend I ripped out the factory muffler/headers/heatshield and replaced it with Kohler kit #2478620-S which consists of 2 header pipes and a side-mounted muffler that goes next to the oil filter.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• 2010-08-09 17.35.18.jpg
    2010-08-09 17.35.18.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 505
  • 2010-08-09 17.36.11.jpg
    2010-08-09 17.36.11.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 379
   / Cub Cadet 5252 power steering problem only when hot #18  
Over the weekend I ripped out the factory muffler/headers/heatshield and replaced it with Kohler kit #2478620-S which consists of 2 header pipes and a side-mounted muffler that goes next to the oil filter. It's not a 100% direct fit because the mounting holes in the engine base for the muffler bracket are obscured by the tractor's frame, but I think even without that it should stay on there. I haven't tested it fully yet because I'm waiting for a cage for the muffler to keep it from coming in contact with the hood. I might end up just cutting off a small part of the hood overhang that touches the muffler, if the cage doesn't do the trick.

By the way, I started the tractor up with just the 2 header pipes and no muffler and it was loud. At idle it wasn't too bad but at full throttle the noise level was just unbearable.

Looks like a good solution but my loader's hydraulic hoses are on the right side. They do sell a left side kit but I think a better solution would be to get the headers that go into one pipe and put a much less expensive muffler on it. $100+ mufflers for these tractors is ridiculous.

Looks like a good solution but my loader's hydraulic hoses are on the right side. They do sell a left side kit but I think a better solution would be to get the headers that go into one pipe and put a much less expensive muffler on it. $100+ mufflers for these tractors is ridiculous.

Changing the engine oil filter should be no problem because the kit came with a low-profile filter (same as the one already on the tractor btw). This particular muffler was about $200 but to me it was worth it because the tractor runs much cooler now and also there seems to be less heat and noise in the cab. I also removed the big metal shield around the flywheel for extra airflow.

I just ran a PTO broadcast spreader for an hour and no steering issues at all. I'm sure partly because it's in the 50's today. A couple of weeks ago when it was still around 80 degrees out and I was doing some mowing, the steering did get a little weird after a while but it wasn't as bad as before. I definitely see a correlation between the steering issues and heat accumulating in the dash area. I noticed that when the steering is acting up and I shut it down and take the key out of the ignition, the key itself is quite hot. Maybe I'll try putting some heat resistant insulation in front of the dash or something...

/ Cub Cadet 5252 power steering problem only when hot #20  
Your steering cylinder is leaking especially it it turn harder in one direction . The piston in the cylinder has more surface area in one direction that will be the easy direction. If the problem is when the cylinder is at its smaller dimension that痴 the problem. Just repack and enjoy your mow.